upgrading my dell

SHADFAN

Hello,

I want to check whether i can change the case of a dell optiplex 3060.

BOLD not ITALIC

7 minutes ago, Oliver oni said:

Hello,

didn't get your question

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

7 minutes ago, Oliver oni said:

Hello,

Can you?

Yes.

Are you good enough to make the required modifications?

Well, that's up to you.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

36 minutes ago, Oliver oni said:

Hello,

Your case used a different format other than ATX, MATX, ITX etc... so yes and no. First and foremost, if you want to swap cases your going to have to accommodate for the unique pin layout for the power, reset led etc... headers. Additionally, you will most likely need to swap into a case that supports the BTX form factor otherwise the case won't fit without extreme modifications ( one that the average pc consumer would not most likely want to conduct ). Your best bet is transferring that motherboard into a BTX compatible case which only happens to be Dell cases ( although some are ATX so keep that in mind, my 980 was an ATX board so I was lucky there and I was easily able to transfer the board/components over to a new case with more features although your mileage may vary ) 

Something to keep in mind however is that regardless if your Dell board is an ATX, MATX, or ITX you will have different pin layouts for headers on your motherboard ( excluding things like USB, Audio, etc... this mostly applies itself to power headers and reset leds and what not ) however this can be easily accommodated for. I was able to fix this problem when I built my first computer a while back whereas I dissembled my old dell pc, upgrading it with new parts and reassembling it into a completely new case. 

However, you most likely won't have to deal with this problem, since your board is a BTX board and it will only fit in BTX cases which support this odd pin layout. Although like I said before it is also a limiting factor since your selection is limited to BTX cases exclusively unfortunately. You could take out all the components connected to your 3060 mobo ( cpu, ram, hdd, ssd, pci(e) cards, etc... ) and swap them into a newer motherboard with a generic unpatented form factor such as ATX, MATX or ITX which will allow you to freely decide which case you wish to substitute your current case for. Although using that BTX board will limit you to Dell's cases ( at least the one that are BTX unfortunately ). 

My Rig: 

CPU: Intel i5 2500k 4 Cores, 4 Threads @ 4.5ghz ( asus uefi regulates BIOS and adjusts it, there is no manual option, so I can't get any higher than 4.5, but I theoretically should be able to get higher once I get a voltage "changeable" mobo

MOBO: Asus P8Z68 LE

RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator 2133mhz ddr3 2x8 16GB

GPU: GTX 980 TI 150+ core, 100-150 ( I forgot )+ mem ( OC ) 

HDD: 500GB 3D MLC Samsung SSD ( soon ) + 2tb 7200rpm Seagate Constellation ES.2 SAS / LSI MegaRaid MR Raid/SAS Controller

CASE: Phanteks P350X

PERIPHERALS: IBM Model M 1984, Logitech G703 Mouse, Logitech G502 Mouse, Philips SHP9500 w/ V-Moda Boom Pro hooked up to my Sony AMP ( forgot model name, to lazy to find out ) 

Laptop: Gateway P-7805u FX 

CPU: 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2c/2t

RAM: 8GB DDR2 1066mhz sodimm 

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTS

HDD: 320GB 7200rpm hard drive 2.5"

SSD: Kingston A400 250GB SSD

SCREEN: Glossy 16:9 1440x900

PERIPHERALSLogitech G Pro

6 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Can you?

Yes.

Are you good enough to make the required modifications?

Well, that's up to you.

depends on what are the required modification ?

BOLD not ITALIC

6 hours ago, Srijan Verma said:

didn't get your question

I want to change my computers case. My computer is Dell optiplex 3060. Is it possible to change the case?

BOLD not ITALIC

6 hours ago, MS-DOS Guy said:

Your case used a different format other than ATX, MATX, ITX etc... so yes and no. First and foremost, if you want to swap cases your going to have to accommodate for the unique pin layout for the power, reset led etc... headers. Additionally, you will most likely need to swap into a case that supports the BTX form factor otherwise the case won't fit without extreme modifications ( one that the average pc consumer would not most likely want to conduct ). Your best bet is transferring that motherboard into a BTX compatible case which only happens to be Dell cases ( although some are ATX so keep that in mind, my 980 was an ATX board so I was lucky there and I was easily able to transfer the board/components over to a new case with more features although your mileage may vary ) 

Something to keep in mind however is that regardless if your Dell board is an ATX, MATX, or ITX you will have different pin layouts for headers on your motherboard ( excluding things like USB, Audio, etc... this mostly applies itself to power headers and reset leds and what not ) however this can be easily accommodated for. I was able to fix this problem when I built my first computer a while back whereas I dissembled my old dell pc, upgrading it with new parts and reassembling it into a completely new case. 

However, you most likely won't have to deal with this problem, since your board is a BTX board and it will only fit in BTX cases which support this odd pin layout. Although like I said before it is also a limiting factor since your selection is limited to BTX cases exclusively unfortunately. You could take out all the components connected to your 3060 mobo ( cpu, ram, hdd, ssd, pci(e) cards, etc... ) and swap them into a newer motherboard with a generic unpatented form factor such as ATX, MATX or ITX which will allow you to freely decide which case you wish to substitute your current case for. Although using that BTX board will limit you to Dell's cases ( at least the one that are BTX unfortunately ). 

buying a new motherboard requires buying a new powersupply which might be a little expensive. I am just upgrading an office desktop to an a gaming pc with a limited budget. Are there any suggestions?

BOLD not ITALIC

45 minutes ago, Oliver oni said:

depends on what are the required modification ?

It depends on how good you are at custom making a new case fit the proprietary Dell parts, from the potentially non-standard power supply size, to screw holes not being in the right place, ditto for backplate, mounting brackets, etc.

Generally speaking, pre-builts are more trouble than they are worth to do any extensive upgrades.

If you are fortunate enough to get one with a standard power supply size, power pin layout and so forth, then that can be swapped and then upgrade the video card to something better, assuming there is space...and the BIOS will let you (something HP and IBM were notorious about not letting you do)

So 1st step, decide if the power supply is industry standard, all else will follow from there.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

It depends on how good you are at custom making a new case fit the proprietary Dell parts, from the potentially non-standard power supply size, to screw holes not being in the right place, ditto for backplate, mounting brackets, etc.

Generally speaking, pre-builts are more trouble than they are worth to do any extensive upgrades.

If you are fortunate enough to get one with a standard power supply size, power pin layout and so forth, then that can be swapped and then upgrade the video card to something better, assuming there is space...and the BIOS will let you (something HP and IBM were notorious about not letting you do)

So 1st step, decide if the power supply is industry standard, all else will follow from there.

Basically it isn't worth it compared to just buying a cheap mobo that would fit in a regular case that will serve the same purpose.

My Rig: 

CPU: Intel i5 2500k 4 Cores, 4 Threads @ 4.5ghz ( asus uefi regulates BIOS and adjusts it, there is no manual option, so I can't get any higher than 4.5, but I theoretically should be able to get higher once I get a voltage "changeable" mobo

HDD: 500GB 3D MLC Samsung SSD ( soon ) + 2tb 7200rpm Seagate Constellation ES.2 SAS / LSI MegaRaid MR Raid/SAS Controller

PERIPHERALS: IBM Model M 1984, Logitech G703 Mouse, Logitech G502 Mouse, Philips SHP9500 w/ V-Moda Boom Pro hooked up to my Sony AMP ( forgot model name, to lazy to find out ) 

2 hours ago, Oliver oni said:

I want to change my computers case. My computer is Dell optiplex 3060. Is it possible to change the case?

No unless you do heavy modifications which isn't worth it compared to just switching out the motherboard to an ATX standard so you could change the case.

My Rig: