Usb Vs Analog With Pci-e Soundcard

MyLaptopSucks

I see that a lot of high-end headphones come with a usb connection, yet when I google it, I only see people ragging on USB headphones. My question is, what is the best soundquality for the price?

1) A medium/high-end USB heaphone

2) High-end analog headphone on onboard sound

3) Medium analog headphone on low-end soundcard

IMO #3, though it depends what your definition of "medium analog headphone" and "low end soundcard" are. ;)

Desktop - Custom watercooled R4E/i7 3930k/GTX 780 SLI/32gb 2400mhz DDR3/Xonar STX/OCZ V4 256gb RAID 0/24tb RAID 5

Laptop - Clevo P370EM - i7 3630QM/GTX 680M SLI/8gb 1866mhz DDR3/840 pro 256gb RAID 0/750gb mechanical

i would never use a usb headset/headphones. it uses its own sound card in the usb connection which is usually inferior to the sound on the mobo.

2 and 3 are both good. if you plan on gettin aftermarket amp/dac, #2 would work just fine. 

as jimbo mentioned, it, also, depends on your perception.

Neither options, get a good headset, then use the onboard sound until you buy a decent - good soundcard. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

I don't see any high end headphones with USB.(mid end is probably a stretch too)

if you're buying high end, you better have money for a dac/amp or you have no reason buying high end.

depending on budget I'd go around $200 for headphones and upgrade dac/amp later.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

$200 for headphones? O.o jeebus. not my budget.

Medium headset: Thermaltake eSports SHOCK

High-end headset: Steelseries Siberia v2

Low-end soundcard: Ultron Ultra Sound  5.1 PCI

Medium-end soundcard: ASUS Xonar DG

Edit: I am by no means an audiophile, absolutely average consumer. I'm looking at a fx-6300 and 7870 (Tahiti LE) for my build, so seriously not high end.

@MyLaptopSucks i went to usb route Corsair Vengeance 1500 for my needs they work great believe usually around 60 usd 

By no means i am i an audio guy or knowledge of that

but 1500 work for my needs the bass is little to none but i have sensitive hearing/good  :P  so the headset usually is just @ 2% volume @ 4% i can't hear people in room talking to me

Never put higher than i beleive 6% so might be reason i hear no bass or little  

I tend to just use them for music gaming and skype 

Once again not an audio guy just throwing my 2 cents  :)

Used to have a paid or gamecon Plantronics something something with the USB gizmo sound card.

​Never used the USB bit always unplugged from it and went with onboard. cost about 120 bucks

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Neither options, get a good headset, then use the onboard sound until you buy a decent - good soundcard. 

I disagree. Get a decent pair of headphones with an ok mic and it will sound 300x better.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

Guessing at your budget I'd be shooting for the Xonar DSX and a set of Audio Technica ATH-TAD300s. If you do some shopping around that should come out to ~$100.

Desktop - Custom watercooled R4E/i7 3930k/GTX 780 SLI/32gb 2400mhz DDR3/Xonar STX/OCZ V4 256gb RAID 0/24tb RAID 5

Laptop - Clevo P370EM - i7 3630QM/GTX 680M SLI/8gb 1866mhz DDR3/840 pro 256gb RAID 0/750gb mechanical

if $200 is too much is $100 better?

audiotechnica ad700 and a cheap mic is just over $100 and will kill almost any headset.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

@MyLaptopSucks i went to usb route Corsair Vengeance 1500 for my needs they work great believe usually around 60 usd 

By no means i am i an audio guy or knowledge of that

but 1500 work for my needs the bass is little to none but i have sensitive hearing/good  :P  so the headset usually is just @ 2% volume @ 4% i can't hear people in room talking to me

Never put higher than i beleive 6% so might be reason i hear no bass or little  

I tend to just use them for music gaming and skype 

Once again not an audio guy just throwing my 2 cents  :)

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Guessing at your budget I'd be shooting for the Xonar DSX and a set of Audio Technica ATH-TAD300s. If you do some shopping around that should come out to ~$100.

Thanks. Have you had some personal experience with the ATH-TAD 300s?

I've listened to them for a few minutes on a range of stuff, they're great for the sub $50 range and they're much better than any USB headset I've tried. The AD-700s t0wer mentioned are noticiblely nicer though - if your budget will stretch that far.

There's endless options - it's just a matter of how far you're willing to go. ;)