should i upgrade my SSD

PurplDrank

my SSD i use to boot windows is a crucial BX500 240gb. Should i switch to an MX500 250gb?

doesn't really make sense to switch it. if you need more storage, add more storage. if you get a faster drive, add it in and then clone windows to it, but keep the older drive as well.

No sense in it. Especially if you're going from a 240gb to 250gb there's no real upgrade there. You won't notice any performance gain unless you're constantly saturating 6Gb/s. Which if you're a regular gamer and user, you likely aren't.

15 minutes ago, PurplDrank said:

my SSD i use to boot windows is a crucial BX500 240gb. Should i switch to an MX500 250gb?

11 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

doesn't really make sense to switch it. if you need more storage, add more storage. if you get a faster drive, add it in and then clone windows to it, but keep the older drive as well.

I agree on keeping both drives if you bought a new one. But there really isnt much improvement you will notice.

If the first one is worn then yes change and use the first one as fast back up or games drive.

BX500 240gb Userbench info

MX500 250gb Userbench info

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

11 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

No sense in it. Especially if you're going from a 240gb to 250gb there's no real upgrade there. You won't notice any performance gain unless you're constantly saturating 6Gb/s. Which if you're a regular gamer and user, you likely aren't.

15 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

so i do plan on reinstalling windows. But i do need more storage so i did buy an MX500 500gb SSD. 

is it it better idea to have just windows on the 240 gb and then have everything else including the other start up programs on the 500gb? I also have a 2 tb hard drive 

3 minutes ago, PurplDrank said:

so i do plan on reinstalling windows. But i do need more storage so i did buy an MX500 500gb SSD. 

is it it better idea to have just windows on the 240 gb and then have everything else including the other start up programs on the 500gb? I also have a 2 tb hard drive 

Personaly i would put the OS on the 500GB since it IS a little bit faster. And then you could install some apps and games on it as well and not be short of space. Use the old one as a seperate drive just like the 2TB (if you can), or if you have need; an external enclosure for a really fast USB stick.

4 minutes ago, PurplDrank said:

yeah no point in wasting 240gb just on windows (which takes like 60gb)

1 minute ago, HanZie82 said:

Personaly i would put the OS on the 500GB since it IS a little bit faster. And then you could install some apps and games on it as well and not be short of space. Use the old one as a seperate drive just like the 2TB (if you can), or if you have need; an external enclosure for a really fast USB stick.

I heard people say that windows boot needs to be on a separate drive. 

3 minutes ago, PurplDrank said:

I heard people say that windows boot needs to be on a separate drive. 

That is highly incorrect!
It will benefit from it, but since SSD's are so fast getting the random data the OS needs, thats not really an issue anymore. (for old mechanical HDD's yes thats still the thing).

It is on the other hand much neater to have things seperated and clearly marked and sorted and blablabla. :D

4 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

That is highly incorrect!
It will benefit from it, but since SSD's are so fast getting the random data the OS needs, thats not really an issue anymore. (for old mechanical HDD's yes thats still the thing).

It is on the other hand much neater to have things seperated and clearly marked and sorted and blablabla. :D

i was thinking maybe put my start up programs on the 240 gb along with windows. I got mt anti virus, geforce experience, razer synapse, msi afterburner (because i overclocked my GPU). 

then my games on the 500 gb SSD and then all my school stuff on the hard drive. 

1 minute ago, PurplDrank said:

i was thinking maybe put my start up programs on the 240 gb along with windows. I got mt anti virus, geforce experience, razer synapse, msi afterburner (because i overclocked my GPU). 

then my games on the 500 gb SSD and then all my school stuff on the hard drive. 

Your PC your rules.
But personally i would put the OS on the fastest drive. Same with apps like browsers and often used ones.
Because then actually the browser will appear as soon as you release the clicking finger to start it. :)

4 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Your PC your rules.
But personally i would put the OS on the fastest drive. Same with apps like browsers and often used ones.
Because then actually the browser will appear as soon as you release the clicking finger to start it. :)

ill do that then. what about the start up apps like antivirus etc etc?

now when i add this SSD how do I unhide it. I know from past experience you had to do something so that it is visible in the "This PC" area. 

ill do that then. what about the start up apps like antivirus etc etc?

now when i add this SSD how do I unhide it. I know from past experience you had to do something so that it is visible in the "This PC" area. 

Yeah all startup apps on same drive as OS. (also Windows has its own very good antivirus ;) )

And you might need to format your drive before you can use it.
But thats not an issue if you do a fresh install, it will ask you for which drive and does the formatting automagicly.

2 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Yeah all startup apps on same drive as OS. (also Windows has its own very good antivirus ;) )

And you might need to format your drive before you can use it.
But thats not an issue if you do a fresh install, it will ask you for which drive and does the formatting automagicly.

does it? I had no idea. whats the name of this windows antivirus? 

does it? I had no idea. whats the name of this windows antivirus? 

Not really sure if it has an actualy name besides Windows Anti Virus

Screenshot_14.png

When i stepped over to it, like maybe 2+ years ago it was in the top3 of most catching anti-virus software. And since this has given me the least headache while gaming, im fine with it for now.

Also best anti virus protection is common sense!!! (To bad its not all to common anymore!)

2 minutes ago, PurplDrank said:

ive been using webroot. I'll use this from now on then. 

I hope you not just taking my word for it. ;)
Do your research, cant trust anyone online. Not even me. hahahaha

Goodluck with it all.