Video card not working (burnt component)

8lec

Ok. So I made a thread a few days ago where I explained that my friend's computer would not turn on. At that time I wasn't sure what it was but I asked him to lend me the video card for sometime and I pretty much immediately found out the problem. And yes it doesn't boot on my pc either.

Gigabyte Windforce RX 460 4gb (factory OC)

Here are a few pictures of the back of the card (I assume the actual gpu, the silicon, is fine but I haven't opened it cuz I don't have any thermal goop)

Can anyone tell me what might have caused that particular component to die, and if it is fixable.

Things to keep in mind: My friend did not OC his gpu or memory or anything at all except his ram (xmp), he was installing Fortnite on the computer when he heard something and his computer turned off. Then he couldn't get it to post, the mobo lights up and stuff but the gpu doesn't output anything (the fans spin tho)

Everything that my friend has is new, except his video card and psu which I sold to him. A corsair vs450 and the above mentioned video card, I have had both running in my computer for 3 years and have never had any issues with either. The rest of his specs are b450 tuf (atx), r2600, 16gb 3200mhz oloy ram, 500gb silicon power ssd.

All help is appreciated, if I remember any more details, i'll be sure to include them down below

_MG_076cbvcx7.JPG

_MG_0768.JPG

_MG_0769.JPG

• CPU
    r5 5600x
  • Motherboard
    Arous b550 pro ac v1
  • RAM
    Tcreate 32gb ddr4 3600 cl18
  • GPU
    1660 super
  • Storage
    SN570 1tb
  • PSU
    Corsair CX750
  • Audio
    Lots of chi-fi iems
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 (lastest)

Looks like something has burnt away at the top there like you showed in the pictures. Not quite sure what part of the PCB that is, however all PCB's are made with hundreds of pathways and connections between all the different components attached into them. If that one has burnt out as seen above, it may be stopping the board from doing its intended function as it can no longer transmit power, data or so forth throughout the card. You might be able to clean that spot up a bit with some rubbing alcohol and see if it looks ok underneath? Could just be a badly connected solder joint too. Otherwise If you really can't get any signal out of the card at all I would say you would have to assume it is dead.

muerto.......  compra nuevo  It's dead unfortunately.  Somebody is going to need to come up with a few bucks to purchase a new card.  That will be a decision between you and the owner considering that you sold him the card in the first place.  Process of elimination would require the owner put his old card back into his machine to verify something did not go bad in his system other than that card but that particular video card is dead and the cost of repair is more than the cost of replacement.  And since that is all smt stuff, I doubt your local repair shop could handle the repairs.

2 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

muerto.......  compra nuevo  It's dead unfortunately.  Somebody is going to need to come up with a few bucks to purchase a new card.  That will be a decision between you and the owner considering that you sold him the card in the first place.  Process of elimination would require the owner put his old card back into his machine to verify something did not go bad in his system other than that card but that particular video card is dead and the cost of repair is more than the cost of replacement.  And since that is all smt stuff, I doubt your local repair shop could handle the repairs.

Yes, I tried the card on my machine. Didn't work. Could the psu have gone bad? We built the system on the Thursday and there was some lightning that day. His graphics card died on Friday.

• CPU
    r5 5600x
  • Motherboard
    Arous b550 pro ac v1
  • RAM
  • GPU
    1660 super
  • Storage
    SN570 1tb
  • PSU
    Corsair CX750
  • Audio
    Lots of chi-fi iems
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 (lastest)

Sry, but the card is dead.  Will need to replace it.

1 minute ago, kb5zue said:

Sry, but the card is dead.  Will need to replace it.

Well, s***. Any idea why or how, or do you know any1 on this forum who might know what happened here?

• CPU
    r5 5600x
  • Motherboard
    Arous b550 pro ac v1
  • RAM
  • GPU
    1660 super
  • Storage
    SN570 1tb
  • PSU
    Corsair CX750
  • Audio
    Lots of chi-fi iems
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 (lastest)

1 minute ago, 8lec said:

Well, s***. Any idea why or how, or do you know any1 on this forum who might know what happened here?

There's literally no way of saying why it blew just from a picture. We're not omniscient here. What happened, though: a ferrite bead blew up.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

In an earlier post someone said something about lightning in the area.  That possibly could have been the culprit, no way to know for sure.  I would try to find a used card that I could put in his system to verify the video card was the only victim.  If the machine fires up okay with the replacement video card, then great.  But if the system does NOT fire up with a replacement video card, then you will have to start looking at other things, the first being the power supply.

Chasing down the source of an electrical problem can be tricky, so the first thing to look at would be the power supply.

1 minute ago, kb5zue said:

In an earlier post someone said something about lightning in the area.  That possibly could have been the culprit, no way to know for sure.  I would try to find a used card that I could put in his system to verify the video card was the only victim.  If the machine fires up okay with the replacement video card, then great.  But if the system does NOT fire up with a replacement video card, then you will have to start looking at other things, the first being the power supply.

Chasing down the source of an electrical problem can be tricky, so the first thing to look at would be the power supply.

Ok. I will take my video card to his home after this curfew is over. I literally can't leave my house. Other than the hospitals and police stations, nothing is open. Might be a while.

This sucks man, he doesn't have any money now. With this covid thing, I'm not even sure if they'll pay interns like him any money.

• CPU
    r5 5600x
  • Motherboard
    Arous b550 pro ac v1
  • RAM
  • GPU
    1660 super
  • Storage
    SN570 1tb
  • PSU
    Corsair CX750
  • Audio
    Lots of chi-fi iems
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 (lastest)

We have the same problem here in northern California as for leaving the house.  Good Luck.

41 minutes ago, jmp246 said:

It must be a RF bead B701.

igrovaya-videokarta-gigabyte-radeon-rx-460-4gb-windforce-5-15317785-crop.jpg

Thankyou for the info

• CPU
    r5 5600x
  • Motherboard
    Arous b550 pro ac v1
  • RAM
  • GPU
    1660 super