PCI-Express card receiving no power on Dell Precision T1600

kingmustard

I have a Dell Precision T1600 (2012 model) running the latest A16 BIOS (2013), which I use as a Windows 10-based Plex server.

I bought a Dynamode USB-4PCI-3.0, which is a 4-Port USB 3.0 PCI-Express card.

I can't get Windows to detect it, and connected devices do nothing when plugged into it.

I've tried the USB 3.0 card in all four PCI slots (which I know work).

It appears it's getting no power.

There is a molex female connector on the back of the card but the box states: "Integral ‘Molex’ Power Boost adapter for increased length", so I don't think it's needed for the device to work?

The power supply doesn't seem to have any male molex connectors coming from it.

I'm using all four of the power supply's SATA male connectors and all four of the motherboard's female SATA connectors with the four drives that are in the machine.

Any ideas?

Dell_Precision_T1600_Service_Manual.pdf Dell Precision T1600 Setup & Features.pdf

You need to plug in the Molex connector on the back of the card. 'Integral' means it is needed. 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Just now, Brennan Price said:

You need to plug in the Molex connector on the back of the card. 'Integral' means it is needed. 

That's a shame. The PSU literally only has 4x SATA power male and the 2x connectors for motherboard (24-pin and 4-pin, I believe), all of which are being used.

1 minute ago, kingmustard said:

That's a shame. The PSU literally only has 4x SATA power male and the 2x connectors for motherboard (24-pin and 4-pin, I believe), all of which are being used.

You can buy adaptors that will enable you to convert one of the spare power connectors in your power supply in to a Molex connector. However, this does involve having spare connectors. I would recommend buying a new power supply in order to gain more connectors and therefore use the Dynamode USB-4PCI-3.0 properly. 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

9 minutes ago, Brennan Price said:

You can buy adaptors that will enable you to convert one of the spare power connectors in your power supply in to a Molex connector. However, this does involve having spare connectors. I would recommend buying a new power supply in order to gain more connectors and therefore use the Dynamode USB-4PCI-3.0 properly. 

As it's a Dell workstation, I presume there may be restrictions on the type of PSU that can be installed?

Just a few things.

The latest BIOS for the T1600 is A20 not A16

I've found PCI-e device compatibility to be flakey at best with it in UEFI mode as a GT610 wouldn't work in the top PCI-e slot but would in the bottom slot (which isn't the case for this problem).

As this is more an issue reguarding power connectors, you can get a SATA splitter and connect a SATA to molex power connector to one of the available connectors to supply power to the card (also there are no restrictions on what PSU you can use as Dell didn't start using proprietary ATX power connectors until the T1700 system unlike HPs Z series workstations where both the connector and the mount for the PSU are proprietary).

30 minutes ago, demonix00 said:

Just a few things.

The latest BIOS for the T1600 is A20 not A16

I've found PCI-e device compatibility to be flakey at best with it in UEFI mode as a GT610 wouldn't work in the top PCI-e slot but would in the bottom slot (which isn't the case for this problem).

As this is more an issue reguarding power connectors, you can get a SATA splitter and connect a SATA to molex power connector to one of the available connectors to supply power to the card (also there are no restrictions on what PSU you can use as Dell didn't start using proprietary ATX power connectors until the T1700 system unlike HPs Z series workstations where both the connector and the mount for the PSU are proprietary).

Interesting point at the BIOS version.

When I search for 'T1600 BIOS', the first results takes me to:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukdhs1/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=nmkft

Which shows A16 (2013).

However, you're absolutely correct, A20 is the latest! https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukdhs1/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=cft99

Updating now :)

eb_a16-a20.png.015e53a875fd1e4c91209d8e679e4e7b.png

On 3/25/2020 at 12:36 PM, kingmustard said:

As it's a Dell workstation, I presume there may be restrictions on the type of PSU that can be installed?

No PSU restrictions, it is a standard ATX power supply that can be used. Dell are generally pretty good on the power supply end of things when it comes to standard connections around this era of workstations. 

My Rig: