PC heating up my room too much even though it's temps aren't that high

2 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

Your personal experience doesnt really hold much weight.

Heaters are not made equally. You can buy a $12 1500 watt heater that sucks but you can also buy a $60 1500 watt heater that will burn you up.

The heater in my hunting cabin is 1500watts and if you leave it on all night you will wake up sweating.

3000 cubic feet i would def not consider a very small room. Its been over a decade since ive taken a math class but thats roughly an 18x18x10ft room. 

Point is...you dont know. You keep saying hes trolling based on no factual evidence or experience in his room.

Electrical heaters are always 100% efficient.  It’s physics.  They might have better airflow, but 1500w is literally how many joules it throws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-jmSjy2ArM

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

47 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Electrical heaters are always 100% efficient.  It’s physics.  They might have better airflow, but 1500w is literally how many joules it throws.

Yes but that doesnt mean you cant have different results with different heaters.

Theres a lot of factors when it comes to heating a room. 

You could go pick up a 1500watt ceramic heater and not have it heat the room up. Then replace is with a 1500watt utility blower heater and have it sweat you out of the room.

Not all heaters are created equally and depending on the circumstances can produce different results. Hell even the placement of the heater in the room can drastically change its effectiveness.

14 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

Yes but that doesnt mean you cant have different results with different heaters.

Theres a lot of factors when it comes to heating a room. 

You could go pick up a 1500watt ceramic heater and not have it heat the room up. Then replace is with a 1500watt utility blower heater and have it sweat you out of the room.

Not all heaters are created equally and depending on the circumstances can produce different results. Hell even the placement of the heater in the room can drastically change its effectiveness.

If you put 1500W of thermal energy into a room, you put 1500W into a room. Doesn't matter what brand or design it is. It will ALWAYS be the same.

The only reason you might get different results is if the device is not producing the power it advertises, or the design of the heater moves hot air way from its origin. 

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.

6 hours ago, ObsidianAura said:

If you put 1500W of thermal energy into a room, you put 1500W into a room. Doesn't matter what brand or design it is. It will ALWAYS be the same.

The only reason you might get different results is if the device is not producing the power it advertises, or the design of the heater moves hot air way from its origin. 

Yes you put that energy into a room. But theres more factors to it then that.

If the room is poorly insulated a ceramic heater or radaint oil heaters energy could be leaking out before it hits parts of the room. A blower utility heater pushing the heat directly in a direction and could be better in those situations.

If the room is very efficient and insulated then a 1500watt heater is going to be able to handle heating up a smallish room. 

Its not just the energy being put in to a room you need to think about but the energy escaping it as well.

10 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

If the room is poorly insulated a ceramic heater or radaint oil heaters energy could be leaking out before it hits parts of the room. A blower utility heater pushing the heat directly in a direction and could be better in those situations.

If the room is very efficient and insulated then a 1500watt heater is going to be able to handle heating up a smallish room. 

Its not just the energy being put in to a room you need to think about but the energy escaping it as well.

This appears to me to be a perception vs function argument.  It’s how warm a room is vs how a person in a particular part of a particular room feels.

The air movement thing were factors he mentioned.  A heater with a powerful fan or equivalent might heat a room more evenly but that just means it would be less warm in some places while being more warm in others.  A structure will experience heat loss and that loss will be uneven.  It’s room specific though.  It doesn’t change the basis. Whether you get sweated out or are not sufficiently warmed isnt about the heater as a concept it’s mostly about the heat characteristics of that particular room, and to some degree how evenly a given heater heats.  Some heaters are specifically designed to NOT heat evenly.  They actually have parabolic dishes on them to focus radiant heat. Such a heater may make a person standing in a given place feel less cold, but it wouldn’t actually heat the air any more.  The room itself would or would not be heated just as much.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Yes, but I thought we were assuming the room is a non variable and the heating units were being changed. 

If you're losing 750w per hour of thermal energy from a room and heating it with 1500 watts your gain per hour will still be 750w regardless of heater design. The heat has to go somewhere no extra power can be found or lost.  The amount of thermal energy inside those 4 walls will be the same. You may perceive the room to be warmer or colder but thats more down where the warm air in the room is.

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.

16 minutes ago, ObsidianAura said:

Yes, but I thought we were assuming the room is a non variable and the heating units were being changed. 

If you're losing 750w per hour of thermal energy from a room and heating it with 1500 watts your gain per hour will still be 750w regardless of heater design. The heat has to go somewhere no extra power can be found or lost.  The amount of thermal energy inside those 4 walls will be the same. You may perceive the room to be warmer or colder but thats more down where the warm air in the room is.

I was always considering the room as a factor in this case. But i will admit that i havent been clear on what i was getting at.

When i talk about a heater "sweating a person out". Im not talking about the thermal properties of the room but how the person in the room feels. Thats what is important imo since we in general we cut on the heater or ac to make ourselves feel comfortable. I know there are plenty of reasons someone would need the room to be at certain temps for various things but i wasnt thinking about that in this discussion.

21 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Even beyond that, in a sealed environment with no capacitance, 1500w expended in any fashion will generate the same rise in temperature. The whole heat is energy and energy is heat thing in thermodynamics.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

I used to use my desktop in a small refinished attic space with only one small window.   ?

It would get super hot up there in the summer time. It was hard to sleep at night because of the heat and running my desktop was like putting it into a microwave oven lol.

Hardly no air moved through the window. The pc was about 2 feet from the wall and the ceiling was sloped. Ventilation was just poor.

?

The only thing that I found helped was putting a full size stand fan with the back facing the area of the desktop exhaust.

The desktop on the right side of my desk and the fan on the left side with the back of the fan facing the desktop exhaust area.

To try an pull the heat away from the area where I was using it and blow it across the room.

Then later I got an air conditioner and whew it was so nice and frosty then.

They do make air conditioners that don't go in a window but you still need somewhere to vent the heat through a flexible duct.

Hope that helps.                                  ↙️   ?️  ?️

On 3/4/2020 at 1:51 AM, Waptorwaffle said:

I have a system with a rx570 4gb and a ryzen 5 3600, the temperature of the dies themselves aren't that high and the fans aren't working that hard but my room is getting to be 5-10 degrees hotter than the rest of my house. Any ideas of what this might be? And if so is there any solution aside from moving my computer out of my room and running long cables

I have the same issue in my small office. I open the door and turn the fan on but still the room is a good 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the house. Despite your components not getting overly hot, you basically have heater blowing hot air.

Even when I work from home, my much less power hungry work laptop raises the temperature a bit.