To encourage social distancing, you must leave two blank lines at the start and end of every post, and before and after every quote. Failure to comply may result in non-essential parts of the forum closing. Click for more details. ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
metfor

More RAM, more VRAM on VEGA 3?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi, I have an Ideapad S145 S145-15api. It has an Athlon 300u Vega 3 with 512mb of VRAM and 4GB RAM. If I put another 4GB ram stick, that is, 8GB RAM in total, will Vega 3 have more VRAM? Maybe this image can help, dont know ?

image.thumb.png.dc210c8ddfe8d35bc68fa6f0ac887314.png

No, adding more RAM won't give you more VRAM. VRAM is different, and is an internal component of your GPU. If you want more VRAM, you'll have to upgrade your graphics card.

Edit: Just noticed that this is a laptop, not a desktop. I'm not sure how possible it is to upgrade your graphics card on a laptop, if it is at all. I mostly work with desktops. If you want better specs for playing games, you probably just need to get a new computer. Even if you add more RAM, it's not going to fix the fact that you only have 512 mb of VRAM.

Well yes and no. 

PCs are clever, so even with a dgpu, if It runs out of memory, it'll start using dram instead of vram. Standard vram is a lot faster though so it's not really all that helpful. Your iGPU really hasn't much potential to begin with so it can't even utilize a lot of ram. 

You are better of getting the fastest ram your system supports. That way you gain more performance than more ram.

Edit: but then again, any modern PC should really have 8gb or more ram. 

Gaming HTPC:

R7 1700X@stock - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - Asus GTX 1080 Strix - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Silverstone SX500-LG - 500gb 960 EVO - Fractal Design Node 202 - Samsung 60KS7090 - Logitech G502 - Thrustmaster T500RS - Noblechairs Icon

Desktop PC:
i7 2600k @stock - H100i GTX - Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe - Asus GTX 1050Ti Strix - 16gb HyperX Fury 1866mhz - EVGA 750G2 - 250gb 840 EVO - 6TB WD My Book Duo (Reds) - Enthoo Evolv ITX - Dell U3415W - Benq XL2411T - Qpad MK-85 Brown - Logitech MX518 - Blue Yeti Platinum - Noblechairs Icon 

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5* - 
250gb 970 Evo - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

You have 4GB of RAM in your system, 0.5 is dedicated to your GPU, 3.5 GB is for the CPU. You could allocate more than 0.5 GB of RAM to your GPU, but it will take away from your CPU ram.

With 8GB of total RAM you could give 2 GB to your gpu and 6 GB to your cpu as an example.

Intel Core i5-8400 / ASRock Z370 Pro 4 / Hyper 212 Evo / 16GB DDR4 @3000 / MSI RTX 2070 Armor / Corsair RM550x / SanDisk 250GB / 1TB WD HDD / Fractal Design Define R4

1 minute ago, Medicate said:

You have 4GB of RAM in your system, 0.5 is dedicated to your GPU, 3.5 GB is for the CPU. You could allocate more than 0.5 GB of RAM to your GPU, but it will take away from your CPU ram.

With 8GB of total RAM you could give 2 GB to your gpu and 6 GB to your cpu as an example.

Wait is that really a thing you can do? I had no idea. Is this just a laptop thing that doesn't apply to desktops? From what I understood graphics card VRAM was a separate thing at least in desktops.

1 minute ago, Medicate said:

Can i do that? Do i need to use BIOS for that?

2 minutes ago, metfor said:

Can i do that? Do i need to use BIOS for that?

Most likely yes unless it automatically changes it when it detects more ram but I doubt that.

3 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Wait is that really a thing you can do? I had no idea. Is this just a laptop thing that doesn't apply to desktops? From what I understood graphics card VRAM was a separate thing at least in desktops

It's how integrated graphics work, they don't have their own VRAM, they just use system RAM

Intel Core i5-8400 / ASRock Z370 Pro 4 / Hyper 212 Evo / 16GB DDR4 @3000 / MSI RTX 2070 Armor / Corsair RM550x / SanDisk 250GB / 1TB WD HDD / Fractal Design Define R4

3 minutes ago, Medicate said:

It's how integrated graphics work, they don't have their own VRAM, they just use system RAM

Thanks