More RAM, more VRAM on VEGA 3?

Hi, I have an Ideapad S145 S145-15api. It has an Athlon 300u Vega 3 with 512mb of VRAM and 4GB RAM. If I put another 4GB ram stick, that is, 8GB RAM in total, will Vega 3 have more VRAM? Maybe this image can help, dont know ?

image.thumb.png.dc210c8ddfe8d35bc68fa6f0ac887314.png

No, adding more RAM won't give you more VRAM. VRAM is different, and is an internal component of your GPU. If you want more VRAM, you'll have to upgrade your graphics card.

Edit: Just noticed that this is a laptop, not a desktop. I'm not sure how possible it is to upgrade your graphics card on a laptop, if it is at all. I mostly work with desktops. If you want better specs for playing games, you probably just need to get a new computer. Even if you add more RAM, it's not going to fix the fact that you only have 512 mb of VRAM.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Well yes and no. 

PCs are clever, so even with a dgpu, if It runs out of memory, it'll start using dram instead of vram. Standard vram is a lot faster though so it's not really all that helpful. Your iGPU really hasn't much potential to begin with so it can't even utilize a lot of ram. 

You are better of getting the fastest ram your system supports. That way you gain more performance than more ram.

Edit: but then again, any modern PC should really have 8gb or more ram. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

You have 4GB of RAM in your system, 0.5 is dedicated to your GPU, 3.5 GB is for the CPU. You could allocate more than 0.5 GB of RAM to your GPU, but it will take away from your CPU ram.

With 8GB of total RAM you could give 2 GB to your gpu and 6 GB to your cpu as an example.

1 minute ago, Medicate said:

You have 4GB of RAM in your system, 0.5 is dedicated to your GPU, 3.5 GB is for the CPU. You could allocate more than 0.5 GB of RAM to your GPU, but it will take away from your CPU ram.

With 8GB of total RAM you could give 2 GB to your gpu and 6 GB to your cpu as an example.

Wait is that really a thing you can do? I had no idea. Is this just a laptop thing that doesn't apply to desktops? From what I understood graphics card VRAM was a separate thing at least in desktops.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

1 minute ago, Medicate said:

Can i do that? Do i need to use BIOS for that?

2 minutes ago, metfor said:

Can i do that? Do i need to use BIOS for that?

Most likely yes unless it automatically changes it when it detects more ram but I doubt that.

3 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Wait is that really a thing you can do? I had no idea. Is this just a laptop thing that doesn't apply to desktops? From what I understood graphics card VRAM was a separate thing at least in desktops

It's how integrated graphics work, they don't have their own VRAM, they just use system RAM

2 minutes ago, Medicate said:

It's how integrated graphics work, they don't have their own VRAM, they just use system RAM

Ah, okay. That would make sense.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

3 minutes ago, Medicate said:

Thanks 

• 3 months later...

You can upgrade vram by going to regedit then Compiter>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Softwere>Intel or amd>NGFX then create a new folder called GMM then in the folder make a new file DWORD for 32 bit QWORD for 64 bit then name the file DedicatedSegmentSize then if you have 8gb 2048 or 1024 or for 4gb 512mg.

Or go to the bios and find grphics and vram.

Hope this helped you.

• 2 months later...
On 2/27/2020 at 9:20 PM, Medicate said:

With 16GB of ram, could I give 4gb to my system? thanks in advance