Bad time to upgrade?

Sicko65

I'm In the works of building a new system and considering the new Nvidia cards are rumored to be coming soon I don't want to buy a 2080 now if it will drop in price shortly (or potentially the new lineup) and just hold on to my 2060? I figured this would be a good place to ask since I don't know if Nvidia has a somewhat predictable rollout/price drop as I haven't been paying attention to this industry for long.

For those that may be interested I'm building a r5 3600, msi b450m mortar max, and still trying to figure out what I want to do for ram and open to recommendations since the QVL and a few ram manufacturers have conflicting compatibility(corsair mainly). 

Thanks in advance for the help

Hard to say. With the new 2020 parts quick to be announced with a few leaks it could be better to wait for the new toys where older stuff should go on sale. Last gen was hard to compare since it was in the boom of crypto which destroyed older card prices of the 10 series GTX. So I would assume some price lowering for last gen hardware. But with the Coronavirus hitting China with no known cure or way to combat the spread this will affect prices as China is where most hardware is manufactured, There has been rumors about shortages of multiple parts which could increase prices on many things including PC parts. 

Just my 2 cents it could be all ok or go to total disaster hard to say.

I'ld say wait, ur 2060 is more than enough to keep ur games running till the rtx 3000 drops

I was gonna get a 2070s but decided to hang on to my good old 1050 ti a bit longer and it is still doing fine, tho its bottlenecking my new pc lol

That puppy ran games at high since 2016,but now that i got a 144hz monitor it ain't enough lol

12 hours ago, Goliath_1911 said:

I'ld say wait, ur 2060 is more than enough to keep ur games running till the rtx 3000 drops

I was gonna get a 2070s but decided to hang on to my good old 1050 ti a bit longer and it is still doing fine, tho its bottlenecking my new pc lol

That puppy ran games at high since 2016,but now that i got a 144hz monitor it ain't enough lol

Yeah I have a Dell S2716dg (144hz, 1440p, gsync) that I picked up new from best buy for $350 new. The 2060 just doesn't push what I'd like for Boarderlands 3. That being said Bl3 looks like trash on my ps4 pro by comparison in either high frame or high quality. 

10 hours ago, Sicko65 said:

Yeah I have a Dell S2716dg (144hz, 1440p, gsync) that I picked up new from best buy for $350 new. The 2060 just doesn't push what I'd like for Boarderlands 3. That being said Bl3 looks like trash on my ps4 pro by comparison in either high frame or high quality. 

Ah 1440p, yeah it won't be easy for u to hit 144hz on 2060 

But i would still prefer to wait for rtx 3000

Maybe postpone borderlands a bit, u'll get the bonus to play dlc that come out in one go ?

Also even a 2080 might not hit 144hz @1440p at high /ultra settings

U will probably hit 90 fps, or 100

But from what i heard borderlands 3 has some optimization issues (not sure) 

Waiting for a rtx 3080 is better, the chance for u to hit that 144hz would be higher 

Also if not u'll get a cheaper 2080 or 2080ti...it is a win-win either way