What gauge wire should I get for my PC power connector?

Hi guys, 

[i'm assuming this goes here.]

I need a longer power cable for my PC and monitors. What gauge should I get? I went to Monoprice to see my options. Here they are:

18AWG, can support up to 10 amps with 125 Volt load.
16AWG, can support up to 12.5 amps with 125 Volt load.
14AWG, can support up to 15 amps with 125 Volt load.

Does this even matter? This is going from the wall to my PSU. I assume the PSU takes whatever the wall gives and just changes it and feeds it to the rest of my PC components, so I would imagine it doesn't matter at all. However, I can't be sure. 

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Vitalius

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

IIRC, most power supplies use 16AWG wire, so I would say get that.

It might also be 14AWG like @Zeal said. 

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Most PSUs should come with 14 AWG wire for the power connector. I had recently cut mine up to do some modding:

F0nBAUG.jpg

Most power outlets in NA are 15A sockets as well. Get the beefier 14AWG power cable.

Alright, thanks guys. I'll spend the extra $3 :)

I assume 18AWG is fine for my monitors. I doubt they use much amps or volts (relative to a monitor) at all.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Hi guys, 

[i'm assuming this goes here.]

I need a longer power cable for my PC and monitors. What gauge should I get? I went to Monoprice to see my options. Here they are:

18AWG, can support up to 10 amps with 125 Volt load.

16AWG, can support up to 12.5 amps with 125 Volt load.

14AWG, can support up to 15 amps with 125 Volt load.

Does this even matter? This is going from the wall to my PSU. I assume the PSU takes whatever the wall gives and just changes it and feeds it to the rest of my PC components, so I would imagine it doesn't matter at all. However, I can't be sure. 

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Vitalius

The bigger the better. It would be wiser to get a thicker gauge just so you have comfort. Don't want to be burning your house down because of this. 12 gauge or 14 gauge is what I would use for everything just for piece of mind.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor