the hz on my monitor KEEP resetting to 119hz

Windows95

So for some reason the hz keep reseting to 119hz. Im on windows 7. The monitor is an XG2401. Randomly I check the hz and it goesb back to 119hz and i have to change it back to 144hz. How do I FORCE that it stays 140hz all the time? GPU is HD7850 and displayport connection.

140Hz is an odd number for monitor refresh rates. Do you mean 144Hz? Or did you overclock your monitor to 140Hz?

12 minutes ago, CreativeName642 said:

140Hz is an odd number for monitor refresh rates. Do you mean 144Hz? Or did you overclock your monitor to 140Hz?

probably because they said 'reset' 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

29 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

So for some reason the hz keep reseting to 119hz. Im on windows 7. The monitor is an XG2401. Randomly I check the hz and it goesb back to 119hz and i have to change it back to 140hz. How do I FORCE that it stays 140hz all the time? GPU is HD7850 and displayport connection.

According to your monitor specs you should be setting your refresh rate to 144hz.

Try that and see if it resets. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

4 minutes ago, InnerBeast Gaming said:

probably because he said 'reset' 

But I looked up the monitor after that and it's a 144Hz. I don't understand how it would be going back 119Hz. 

32 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

So for some reason the hz keep reseting to 119hz. Im on windows 7. The monitor is an XG2401. Randomly I check the hz and it goesb back to 119hz and i have to change it back to 140hz. How do I FORCE that it stays 140hz all the time? GPU is HD7850 and displayport connection.

There are a lot of weird things about this. As others have mentioned, the numbers you gave don't make sense. But I'd also like to point out that you're still using Windows 7, which is discontinued and is now considered a security risk. You also are running an 8 year old GPU with a 1080p 144hz monitor.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

On 2/21/2020 at 8:04 PM, JoostinOnline said:

There are a lot of weird things about this. As others have mentioned, the numbers you gave don't make sense. But I'd also like to point out that you're still using Windows 7, which is discontinued and is now considered a security risk. You also are running an 8 year old GPU with a 1080p 144hz monitor.

i meant 144hz. right now its at 144hz since the last i set it... but at random times it will go back to 119hz

luckily my 3950x has arrived, waiting for the r6 case to arrive and i will get to work and build the new computer then i can finally go to windows 10, but still interested to know why this happens

You also are running an 8 year old GPU with a 1080p 144hz monitor.

so what

18 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

so what

So that's probably why it happens. The HD family wasn't really designed for high refresh rate monitors, and I can't imagine that the driver support is very good now. Replace it with something that's modern and it will probably stop.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

On 2/24/2020 at 7:36 PM, JoostinOnline said:

So that's probably why it happens. The HD family wasn't really designed for high refresh rate monitors, and I can't imagine that the driver support is very good now. Replace it with something that's modern and it will probably stop.

gonna wait till rtx 3080