400 watt gold rated power supply with RTX 2060.

KYAN125

In Australia, trying to build a pc for gaming from about the 1000-1100 dollar price range. I'm considering using an RTX 2060, and my mates dad has offered me his old 400 Watt Power Supply with a gold rating. I'm pretty sure it's a Cooler Master PSU, but I'm not sure which one. I've seen people on this site recommending a 550 watt power supply with a bronze rating for this card and I am wondering if this  PSU is comparable. 

I plan on having a ryzen 5 2600, or 3600, depending on how soon I make the build. (3600 is on sale for $10 more than the 2600 at my local pc shop for the next few weeks.)

Obviously I know that a 550 watt would be better for future upgrades, but it's hard to walk away from a free PSU. If anyone has any answers for me they would be greatly appreciated.

11 minutes ago, KYAN125 said:

In Australia, trying to build a pc for gaming from about the 1000-1100 dollar price range. I'm considering using an RTX 2060, and my mates dad has offered me his old 400 Watt Power Supply with a gold rating. I'm pretty sure it's a Cooler Master PSU, but I'm not sure which one. I've seen people on this site recommending a 550 watt power supply with a bronze rating for this card and I am wondering if this  PSU is comparable. 

I plan on having a ryzen 5 2600, or 3600, depending on how soon I make the build. (3600 is on sale for $10 more than the 2600 at my local pc shop for the next few weeks.)

Obviously I know that a 550 watt would be better for future upgrades, but it's hard to walk away from a free PSU. If anyone has any answers for me they would be greatly appreciated.

Normally a 2nd hand psu is a no-no but here you have the advantage of it being from someone relatively close you can get info from.

Things to ask:

1. As already mentioned the exact model

2. Date/year of purchase

3. Components it have ran (whats the system it gets out of)

4. Did it run 24/7 or justdaytime or casual home evening use?

5. Does it have enough pcie cables for the card model you have in mind? (Strix for example has 2, of which 1 is 8 pin)

6. Was the intake fan behind a filter (which was regularly cleaned)

7. No smokers in the room its been used in?

8. If the above dont raise any red flags: are all original cables still there? (Not missing any pcie for example!)

Good luck :)

I ran a gtx960 at 450watts and still wasn't confident so upgraded to 500. Wish I would have gotten 650 tbh. Just saying

Similar to my system

2600 and 2060 super. I'm using a 530w bronze it handles it no probs with both under load. I did check the usage from the wall and I can't remember exactly but I think it was around 330w under load. I'll check that again later. 

So your 400w should handle it but as stated a 500-550w would be preferable.