My First Experience Building: Budget Ryzen

I can't find the picture I took of my computer when I first built it over two years ago, so you're just going to have to take my word for both the initial build and first upgrade to my computer; however, I'll still be sharing my experiences with the initial build and first upgrade below, where I've also linked the parts lists and posted the most recent pictures of my rig.

Honestly, other than the hassle that was attaching the front panel IO connectors to the motherboard, and attaching my PSU to the case before plugging in the Molex connectors, it was a pretty straightforward build. This was my first build, and it took me about two hours to complete whilst being conscious of cable management and overall aesthetics. In my opinion, the most interesting aspect of the build was that I was able to get my 1300x to stably run at 4GHz on the stock cooler. At the time, I didn't bother fidgeting with the GPU clock speeds or ram timings/frequency, mostly because the computer worked well enough as it was, but also because I just didn't understand how it worked in the first place.

By this time, I had the computer for a little over a year and a half, and I had some upgrades I wanted to make to increase performance on a budget.

* Firstly, I wanted to see how much more performance I could get out of my CPU, so I tossed the stock cooler and opted for the more appropriate ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO to help me reach 4.2GHz on my 1300x.
* Secondly, the only air intake fan was the one that came with my case, so I bought a 5-pack of ARCTIC 120mm case fans. This allowed me to have one intake fan on the back and two on the top, and three fans expelling air towards the front of my case - all connected through my Silverstone fan hub.
* Thirdly, I wanted to tackle the problem that was dust build up. In a year and a half, I took my computer completely apart - GPU shroud and all - three times to remove dust, so I added dust filters to the intake fans. This very drastically reduced the amount of cleaning necessary to maintain both my computer's cleanliness and thermals - maybe it's all the dogs my family has owned over the years, but my house is abnormally dusty.
* Lastly, I switched from Protronix Series 7 Thermal Paste, to the graphite thermal pad I'd seen Linus make a video about. I didn't record my temps before and after to compare, and I wish I would've, but I'm sure it had a slight impact on my thermals nonetheless.

Overall, I'd say for how cheap the upgrades were, these choices are probably your best bet for squeezing out some more performance on your current hardware, both without opting for new hardware altogether or drastically modding your hardware (i.e. IHS deliding, IHS Lapping, liquid metal application, etc.).

After the upgrades, whose purpose in the end was mostly to affect thermals, I decided to try and wrap my head around how to successfully overclock my RAM. I was able to mess around with the frequency and get it to 2666MHz, (testing stability with Prime95), but I just don't understand how much I'm supposed to adjust the timings, or really what the timings affect in the first place. I also gave overclocking my GPU a shot, and initially I had some issues, but in the end I was able to successfully overclock my GPU's core clock to 1878MHz from 1746MHz, and the memory clock to 8808MHz from 8008MHz. The OC is stable, idling at 26 degrees Celsius, and 66 degrees Celsius under load (Fur Mark).

For the most recent upgrade to my computer, I swapped the Ryzen 3 1300x for a Ryzen 5 1600. The CPU was given to me by a friend who was selling his computer parts at the time - he didn't feel like going through the hassle of selling it, and knew I was about ready to need a new CPU anyways. I'm using the same cooler as I was for the 1300x after my computer's first upgrade, and it's still working great - I'm able to run 4 GHz stable at 1.2375V. The upgrade from 4c/4t to 6c/12t is a sizable one and I feel like the 1300x was slightly bottle-necking my GTX 1060 6GB. In addition to the upgraded CPU, I added another 8 GB's of 2400Mhz RAM to my computer to total 16 GB's, which I ended up overclocking to 2666MHz. In the near future, I'll probably give adjusting my timings another shot, and possibly try and push my RAM to 2933MHz as well, but we'll see how it goes.

• Peripherals

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow TE Chroma

Mouse: Razer Mamba Wireless Chroma

Mouse-pad: Razer Firefly Chroma (Hard Edition)

Headset: Razer Man O' War

USB Hub: Razer Base Station Chroma

Speaker: iHome iX360

Monitor 1: ASUS-VG248QE

Monitor 2: ASUS-VS248H-P

Monitor Stand: VIVO Dual Monitor Stand

IMG_20200210_202822161.jpg

Computer.jpg

Also if anyone would like to suggest names for this computer I'm all ears. When it comes to naming things I'm about as creative as...

(Idk why it posted twice but if this reply could get deleted if a mod sees it, that would be superb).

Edited by Eup
weird stuff happened

Solid build!

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  A Dive Into Custom Keyboards & Mechanical Switches

NEWCOMERS Remember to ' Reply ' to comments in order for people to see them, this is done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R9 3950X  Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB 3200MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA P2 850W w/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  2x Corsair Force MP510 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower  

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW  Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW  Custom TOFU96  Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB 

Work Rig  ThreadRipper 3970X  Asus Prime TRX40 Pro ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 8x32GB 3200Mhz CL16  Nvidia Quadro RTX 6000 24GB  Corsair HXi 1000W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO  8x Sabrent Rocket 2TB w/ 2x Asus Hyper m.2 V2   Arctic P12 Fans  Phanteks P400A ATX Mid Tower 

Plotting Machine 1  ThreadRipper 2990WX  AsRock X399 Taichi ATX  Kingston HyperX Fury 8x16GB 2666Mhz CL18   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RMx 850W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO ‖ 2x Sabrent Rocket 2TB & 2x Sabrent Rocket 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Arctic P12 Fans  Rosewill RSV-L4500 4U  5x Dell DS60 60-bay JBOD w/ 1.2PB of HDD Storage  HP 22U Half Rack

Plotting Machine 2  R9 3950X  Asus TUF X570-Plus Wi-Fi ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 4x16GB 3200Mhz CL16   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RM 650W  Noctua NH-D15s Chormax ‖ 4x Corsair MP600 Force 1TB W/ Asus Hyper m.2 Gen4  Arctic P14 & P12 Fans  Silverstone FARA R1 ATX Mid Tower

J.A.R.V.I.S.  R9 3900XT  Asus B550-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX 8GB  Corsair SF 750W Platinum  Corsair H100i Pro AIO  Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax Fans  FormD T1 SFF ITX Case  

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS HDR TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless

Archive Server  R3 2200G  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 White  Vega Integrated Graphics  EVGA P2 750W  Prism Wraith Cooler  ITX Open Bench  2x HP SAS Expander  LSI-SAS9211  220TB of HDD Storage

SFF ITX Home PC  i5-7500  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 SFF ITX Case (Grey)  

Laptop  Dell XPS13 2-in-1 7390 (2020)  i7-1065G7  32GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Keyboard Collection  GMMK Full Size  TOFU96 90%  ‖ KBD8x MKII TKL ‖ Drop CTRL High Profile TKL ‖ KBD Bella 75% ‖ GMMK Pro 75% ‖ XD84 Pro 75%  KBD67 V2 MKII 65%  KBD67Lite 65%  TOFU65 65%  KBD Blade 60%  Drop Carina 60%  Southpaw75 60% w/ Left Numpad  OLKB Preonic V3 Ortholinear ‖ CosPad XD24  ‖ KBDPad MKII

Key Cap Collection  GMK Boba Fett  GMK Red Samurai  GMK Laser CyberDeck +Novalties  GMK Arch  MaxKey B&W  Drop MT3 Camillo ‖ Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty  KBDfans Biip Torii Ext-2048  ePBT Less But Better +Novalties  EnjoyPBT Dolch  WinMix Mustard  Drop Skylight Horizon & Slate ‖ Glorious Black Aura   

Mechanical Key Switch Collection  Zealios V2 65g  Zealios V2 78g ‖ Zilents V2 67g  Tealios V2 67g  C³ Kiwi ‖ C³ Tangerine  Invyr Holy Panda  Durock T1 67g  Kailh Box Thick Jades ‖ Kailh Box Royal ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Dark Yellow ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Burnt Orange  Kailh Box White  Kailh Box Red  Kailh Pro Purple  Kailh Pro Burgandy  Gateron Ink Black V2  Gateron Black  Gateron Yellow  Gateron Brown  Gateron Green  Gateron Blue ‖ Cherry MX Black ‖ Cherry MX Brown ‖ Cherry MX Red

11 minutes ago, JM21 said:

Solid build!

Thanks man ??