Is Synergy 2 good?

tnings

I use a macbook pro and a desktop a lot and want to use my keyboard and mouse on both. Should I spend the $30 on synergy? Is there an alternative I can do for cheaper or works better?

Synergy is great if you have a use case for it. Synergy 2 was plagued with a release that was far too early and I believe they have since retracted it and it is in development again. As for alternatives I haven't personally looked into any, but I do recommend Synergy 1.

On 2/10/2020 at 3:28 AM, mail929 said:

I do recommend Synergy 1.

@mail929 Thanks for recommending us! ?

Yes, we're back to maintaining Synergy 1 while working on the next major version (the version on sale right now is Synergy 1, and Synergy 2 is no longer in development).

Once the next major version is ready for public use (we anticipate around 2023), it will be released to general sale. All Synergy 2 customers will be upgraded for free, all lifetime customers (anyone who purchased before November 2017) will also benefit from the free upgrade, and of course, anyone who purchased early access will get it. This free upgrade covers over 85% of our current customer base.

After we release the next major version, we intend on maintaining Synergy 1 for a further two years to provide critical fixes and security updates. We had planned to release a super-early-alpha of the next major version in Q1 this year, but we're a little behind schedule (and we're now looking at having an alpha ready for Q2). We’ll be sharing information about how to get access to the upcoming alpha soon. We expect to spend at least three years developing the final version. We don’t want make the same mistake again of releasing before it’s ready.

@tnings We hope you choose Synergy. Please let us know if you have any questions.