Can I DIY recover data from USB that has data protection turn on?

Hi there, 

I need little help with something. I have a friend, and his USB is readable, but there are 3,7GB files on the USB. Still, only a few MB is accessible, and there is the whole folder that is corrupted, I tried R-studio. Still, it finds nothing when I tried to analyze data on partitions; it only showed me a bunch of a blank folders and in it nothing. I was wondering, is something that I, as a nopro in data recovery, can do with this kind of corruption and this data protection nonsense? 

Format: Fat32

Gaming PC:

Spoiler

Motherboard: Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus (Wi-Fi)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

GPU: MSI GF RTX 2070 Super Gaming

RAM: Corsair 4x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Kingston SSD A2000 500GB

HDD: Seagate Baracuda 2TB 7200RPM

PSU: Corsair RM650x (650W, 80+ Gold)

CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

Case: NZXT H510i Matte Black Red

Peripherals:

Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Gaming Mouse

Headphones: HyperX Flight, HyperX Cloud II

Speakers: Logitech Multimedia Speakers Z213

Plex server:

Spoiler

Note: This was an Asus prebuild and my old gaming pc, but now it serves as Plex library server. I added some scrap parts and put it together.

Motherboard: honestly? I have no idea, some asus one

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700

GPU: non, the gpu that was there - GTX 970 broke, and now even generic 1650 would cost me a fortune so Intel integrated graphic it is. 

RAM: 2x8GB

SSD: Adata something something 250GB (Sata)

HDD: Seagate Baracuda 2TB 7200RPM, WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM

PSU: 550W, no idea what brand but it is 80+ Bronze so yaay I guess. 

CPU cooler: generic intel stock cooler

Case: Asus G11 prebuild crap

Other:

Notebook: Macbook Air (2018) - Intel Core i5 (2c) 

Phone: iPhone 12 (128 GB)

Consoles: Playstation 4 (original), Nintendo Wii, Playstation 2 slim, Raspberry Pi turned into Retropie

Others might have more experience than me as I only worked with an external data recover company. They could pretty much recover anything with enough time and money. With encryption it could be difficult depending on the encryption method. Anything like Bitlocker with 256 bit encryption then you might be out of luck. When I was with my old company they charged upwards of $1000 for some recoveries on nand flash as it was much more difficult than traditional HDD. Though we did have this one student who spilled coffee on her Mac air and burned out the SSD and she lost her doctoral theses. After recovery they got everything back but it cost her $1600 but she was super happy and I got a card and a thank you letter lol. 

I don't know the difficulties involved with your situation, but you could try a free program called Recuva to see what it might be able to recover.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

First things first, image or copy the drive bit-for-bit!! Don't attempt to recover data directly from the drive as it could overwrite existing data. Use a disk imaging utility, like Clonezilla,  to clone the drive into an .IMG or .RAW file. This will copy all data on the drive, every binary one and zero, litteraly. Then use use Photorec to scan the raw disk file. This is somewhat a more sophisticated process, but it yields a higher success rate.