2011 MacBook Air Screen Problem

EJOE

Hello, I recently bought this pretty beat up mid 2011 MacBook Air. It has this really weird thing with the screen going on. At first I thought it was dirt or something but then I couldn’t take it off. It feels like it’s a small dent. Or maybe it’s just super stuck grime? Is there anyway to fix these little spots? The only thing I’ve searched that looks similar is anti glare but that started in 2012. Thanks for the help!

7CD0A13B-7E8C-4680-A61D-29D024950CAF.jpeg

It looks like what I'd expect damage to a screen to look like, though it appears to be in some kind of pattern. Is it possible that the laptop had one of those keyboard covers installed previously, and it could have damaged the display that way? I know my 2015 A1502 Retina MBP has a small mark on the display which looks similar and has a dead pixel behind it.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

13 minutes ago, TheSLSAMG said:

It looks like what I'd expect damage to a screen to look like, though it appears to be in some kind of pattern. Is it possible that the laptop had one of those keyboard covers installed previously, and it could have damaged the display that way? I know my 2015 A1502 Retina MBP has a small mark on the display which looks similar and has a dead pixel behind it.

That's what I thought too. But when It's on it doesn't affect the display at all  other than being able to see the small dots on the screen. And possibly, I'm not sure. 

2 minutes ago, EJOE said:

That's what I thought too. But when It's on it doesn't affect the display at all  other than being able to see the small dots on the screen. And possibly, I'm not sure. 

Those are basically scratches in the screen from the keyboard, happens when pressure is placed on the lid while closed, and then it's wiggled back and forth... Like in a backpack. Worked retail repair, and short of cleaning the screen with a cloth moistened with LCD Cleaner / rubbing alcohol there's not much you can do about it. 

6 minutes ago, dnyank1 said:

Those are basically scratches in the screen from the keyboard, happens when pressure is placed on the lid while closed, and then it's wiggled back and forth... Like in a backpack. Worked retail repair, and short of cleaning the screen with a cloth moistened with LCD Cleaner / rubbing alcohol there's not much you can do about it. 

That makes a lot of sense. Used to be owned by a college student. Anyways, thanks. It’s too bad there isn’t a cheaper replacement. The screens online are worth more than the laptop haha

1 minute ago, EJOE said:

That makes a lot of sense. Used to be owned by a college student. Anyways, thanks. It’s too bad there isn’t a cheaper replacement. The screens online are worth more than the laptop haha

What makes those particularly difficult is you need a clean-room environment to service those LCDs, there's not a sealed panel in a housing like... every other machine - the lid itself IS part of the panel. For a 2011, it's just not worth it. That being said, if you plan on keeping or even flipping it, you should absolutely check out dosdude's catalina or mojave patcher to get a modern OS on the machine.

http://dosdude1.com/catalina/

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2020 at 6:14 AM, dnyank1 said:

Those are basically scratches in the screen from the keyboard, happens when pressure is placed on the lid while closed, and then it's wiggled back and forth... Like in a backpack.

I doubt it's from the keyboard, likely dust or bits of food or something on the actual keys that's scratching the display. 

She/Her