[Early 2020] Ultimate Gaming Build Around $2000.

Just now, Dotiki said:

Thank you again guys. Then we have two options... 

Intel: ($165 more expensive)

AMD:

If it is a choice between those two I think the first will have slightly higher fps in many but not all games for the next year or so whereupon it I may start to drop.  It will be slower in some non gaming tasks.  The second will have the opposite behavior.  I still think the watercooler on the 3700x is unnecessary, and actively worse than almost any appropriately sized air cooler because of reliability and maintenance issues. I predict it will be as loud as the stock (free) cooler and provide very little speed benefit.  May lower silicon Max temps though.  It’s apparently a pure aesthetics thing.  It’s your hundred bucks.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Re: HDs it’s a useful example because it a slow drive plugged into a faster port.  Quality of HD didn’t matter for a while either because a faster HD could saturate IDE.  An SSD can saturate SATA6 the same way. Nvme3.0 can only be saturated by very fast SSDs and nvme4.0 can’t be saturated at all.

re: WD blue. Still about the m.2 choice. Probably going to go back to the mobo again for the third time too.  Yes I DO realize that!  Exactly yes.  The nvme connection is faster than sata6.  The drive can saturate sata6, but CANT saturate nvme.  That’s the whole point of the earlier thing.  I thought the WD blue had BOTH Nvme and sata6 so it could do whatever the board happened to have.  Seems i may be wrong. Which has now been stated for the fourth time.  It seems I get this point but you don’t. Or you just like to continuously repeat it, or something.  There’s m key which is nvme only, there is b key which is sata only, and there is b&m key which is both.  I saw mkey, possibly erroneously.  If the drive has mkey it will do nvme whether it also has sata or not.  You seem to be saying it is sata only and does not have mkey at all.  This is possible.  At that point though what is more important is it wouldn’t fit into the motherboard at all to begin with.  I was apparently betrayed by pcpartpicker auto compatibility.  It showed a drive that wouldn’t fit in the mobo, unless the mobo also has b&m key slots.  Which I didn’t look for because I looked at the z390 board barely at all.

re: buildzoid. Yes I’m sure I could.  Or any of a dozen other places possibly.  The internet can be very repetitive that way. The point is I DONT want to.  I’m willing to accept that you did though.

A hard drive doesn't need to be fast. That is why it is used as secondary storage. The SSD is there for that reason. It doesn't really matter if the HDD is 5900rpm or 7200rpm if you are just using it as a mass storage drive.

An NVMe Gen 3 won't saturate a pcie 3.0 x4 slot. Doesn't matter which one it is. The Samsung 970 PRO is 3500MB/s Read and 2700MB/s write. A pcie 3.0 x 4 slot has 985MB/s per lane, so 3940MB's in total for a x4 slot. So that means you won't saturate it with a Gen 3 SSD. A 970 PRO would saturate a pcie 2.0x4 slot but that is a different topic.

An SSD is either SATA or NVMe. It isn't both. So it is up to the individual to determine whether it is SATA or NVMe. Not sure why you think an SSD can be both SATA and NVMe at the same time. It is one or the other. That is why an M.2 NVMe SSD uses pcie lanes whereas a SATA one doesn't. An M.2 SATA SSD still has the same bandwidth as a 2.5" SATA SSD. The difference is how they connect to the board.

Well if you took the time to watch buildzoid or the other dozen places you would be better informed.  

23 minutes ago, Dotiki said:

AMD:

The AMD one. Why pay an extra $164 for little gain ? You are also on a dead platform. Maybe not a big deal depending on how often you upgrade, but still needs considering. With Ryzen you can still have the option of a 12 or 16 core and whatever comes with the 4000 series later this year. At 1440p the difference isn't that huge. Ryzen is the smart option imo.

6 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

A hard drive doesn't need to be fast. That is why it is used as secondary storage. The SSD is there for that reason. It doesn't really matter if the HDD is 5900rpm or 7200rpm if you are just using it as a mass storage drive.

An NVMe Gen 3 won't saturate a pcie 3.0 x4 slot. Doesn't matter which one it is. The Samsung 970 PRO is 3500MB/s Read and 2700MB/s write. A pcie 3.0 x 4 slot has 985MB/s per lane, so 3940MB's in total for a x4 slot. So that means you won't saturate it with a Gen 3 SSD. A 970 PRO would saturate a pcie 2.0x4 slot but that is a different topic.

An SSD is either SATA or NVMe. It isn't both. So it is up to the individual to determine whether it is SATA or NVMe. Not sure why you think an SSD can be both SATA and NVMe at the same time. It is one or the other. That is why an M.2 NVMe SSD uses pcie lanes whereas a SATA one doesn't. An M.2 SATA SSD still has the same bandwidth as a 2.5" SATA SSD. The difference is how they connect to the board.

Well if you took the time to watch buildzoid or the other dozen places you would be better informed.  

4 paragraphs. Let’s make this short because I’m getting tired of it:

1: yes, but irrelevant.

2: mostly false.  Many won’t.  A few will.

3: sentence 1 and 2 contradict each other.

4: don’t care.  I have watched buildzoid.  Just not the z390 stuff.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

4 paragraphs. Let’s make this short because I’m getting tired of it:

1: yes, but irrelevant.

2: mostly false.  Many won’t.  A few will.

3: sentence 1 and 2 contradict each other.

4: don’t care.  I have watched buildzoid.  Just not the z390 stuff.

Not really. You have different types of storage depending on what you want it to do. If you are storing lots of videos or photos to watch/look at then you are fine with a HDD. An SSD is there if you need something faster for things like boot times/loading times etc.

Show me a Gen 3 NVMe SSD that will saturate a pcie 3.0 x4 slot. 

How is it a contradiction ? Please explain 9_9

If you don't care then don't come into a thread and post your nonsense. And no I don't know everything about pc's. Lots of people on here will know more than me, but I wouldn't make statements about things I was uninformed about.

35 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

Not really. You have different types of storage depending on what you want it to do. If you are storing lots of videos or photos to watch/look at then you are fine with a HDD. An SSD is there if you need something faster for things like boot times/loading times etc.

Show me a Gen 3 NVMe SSD that will saturate a pcie 3.0 x4 slot. 

How is it a contradiction ? Please explain 9_9

If you don't care then don't come into a thread and post your nonsense. And no I don't know everything about pc's. Lots of people on here will know more than me, but I wouldn't make statements about things I was uninformed about.

I’ve done this 4 times now. I’m done.  

I don’t think this is really about either the mobo or the m.2.  I think you didn’t like me bringing up the 9900k

As for making statements you are uninformed about that ship already sailed in this thread.  I may have too in that I leveraged pcpartpicker rather heavily for parts of that build and it may have been too much.  You pointed that out.  I said you may be right.   You dove like a hawk and demanded repetition after repetition of that.  I’m done.  No more.

the impression I’m getting from the op is that he thinks neither of us know much about what we’re talking about and he may not be wrong either.

16 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I’ve done this 4 times now. I’m done.  

I don’t think this is really about either the mobo or the m.2.  I think you didn’t like me bringing up the 9900k

As for making statements you are uninformed about that ship already sailed in this thread.  I may have too in that I leveraged pcpartpicker rather heavily for parts of that build and it may have been too much.  You pointed that out.  I said you may be right.   You dove like a hawk and demanded repetition after repetition of that.  I’m done.  No more.

the impression I’m getting from the op is that he thinks neither of us know much about what we’re talking about and he may not be wrong either.

Glad you are done. Now maybe the thread can get back on track. 

I have no issue with the 9900K. A Ryzen cpu isn't the answer for everything. The issue I had with your build has already been mentioned. Do I need to go over it again ?

Not sure what I am uninformed about, but whatever. Also you are the one making claims about an NVMe SSD saturating a pcie 3.0 slot but yet you can't back it up.

I know enough to be able to spec a good system, or know when one is not so great. 

No idea what the op thinks about us, but I have been around long enough to know more than the basics. 

1 minute ago, lee32uk said:

Glad you are done. Now maybe the thread can get back on track. 

I have no issue with the 9900K. A Ryzen cpu isn't the answer for everything. The issue I had with your build has already been mentioned. Do I need to go over it again ?

Not sure what I am uninformed about, but whatever. Also you are the one making claims about an NVMe SSD saturating a pcie 3.0 slot but yet you can't back it up.

I know enough to be able to spec a good system, or know when one is not so great. 

No idea what the op thinks about us, but I have been around long enough to know more than the basics. 

Wtf?  Let me be more specific: I am done replying to your attacks.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Wtf?  Let me be more specific: I am done replying to your attacks.

If I was attacking you then my choice of words would be a lot more colourful. I was under the impression that we were having a discussion like civilised Adults. You seem to have taken it to heart just because I criticised parts of your 9900K build. The op is spending a lot of money here, so he needs to get it right.

2 hours ago, Dotiki said:

AMD:

If it's 3700X vs 9700k, I would always pick the 3700X. It WILL age better, since the 9700K isn't Hyperthreaded. Intel's small victories are so minimal in single core at this level that it's not an argument in my mind. 

The 9900K is a slightly better CPU than the 3700X, but seriously for the price, both are high functioning CPUs. If it means crashing on the rest of your build to squeeze in a $150 pricier CPU, the gains will be minimal. 

Once you get to 1440p and 4K gaming, the difference is practically zero anyway. At that point you want enough cores and speed to support a high functioning GPU. Check. Your 2080Ti is doing all the heavy lifting. 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Hmmm why do you have this impression? :) I was saying lot of time thanks to both of you and to other. Also that it's very interesting to read your both posts.

1 hour ago, lee32uk said:

Again, I think you guys both more skilled in computers than me and it's very helpful. But you shouldn't really care what a stranger like me think about you. ? But so you know! You are super helpful and I respect each post in this thread of anyone.

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Hmmmm .... so better to go with Intel Core i7-9700K. 

I'm in favour of i9 as well, it was included in the build at some point, but it was actually other people who added it, sorry, my bad. With i7, I don't like the fact that they limited the number of threads to 8 on purpose, it's fucking wrong.

I'll quote what someone else wrote in my thread (although I had a bigger budget for CPU, GPU and motherboard):

"Don't get i7 9700 series. The CPU usage is almost max out in current Triple A games. It is a scam from Intel to remove hyperthreading on 9th gen i7 series. It is also a bad investment as well because you won't be able to do multi tasking or streaming. Get i9 9900 series. I9 9900 series is worth the investment because hyperthreading. No hyperthreading = no buy for me."

So if i7 is already struggling in games, AMD will struggle even more (just in gaming, no streaming) so neither of them is a great investment.

On the other hand, if you're sure you won't be streaming, then I think i7 would still give better results in games than AMD for slightly more $. I've seen some comparisons and there were differences of 10-20 fps.

I know i9 is yet another 150 or so more but I think the RTX2080TI would go nicely with it for years to come and if your budget is fixed, I would rather save on something else. If it was me, I would rather keep the old monitor for a couple of months until I get more money and then get the monitor.

If you can't do that, or adjust / increase your budget, you might as well go with AMD cause it's cheap... and if it's not enough after a couple of years, just upgrade the CPU. 

Tribute to lee32uk as well, he helped me with my build, he really knows his stuff. I know I wasn't easy to work with cause I was hell bent on i9 (I'm the the kind of person who is willing to pay quite a lot more for not so much gain in spec even if it only means an extra year of usage where most people wouldn't do that saying it's a waste, and to some extent, I guess it is a bit).

You'll basically have to make up your mind. i9 is more expensive but I believe it will last longer and will give slightly better results in that time, and this is what I'm willing to pay extra for. With AMD however, you can save money and upgrade sooner to something that will be better than i9 for just a few hundred $ again. This is how it works. 

Hey guys. I can't find who's right and who's wrong. With Corsair power supply. I see that the RM series were discontinued and the RMx is the new one with power control, etc. But on the PcPartPicker and Amazon I see that RM versions are like 2019-2020. Sho what is the series I need to get, please? RM or RMx.

Thank you.

Like I understand they have Taiwanese (RM) capacitors vs Japanese (RMx) as well ... 

Also would this be very noticeable I switch from Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive to WD Blue SSD?

it's 100$ difference

4 hours ago, Dotiki said:

Hey guys. I can't find who's right and who's wrong. With Corsair power supply. I see that the RM series were discontinued and the RMx is the new one with power control, etc. But on the PcPartPicker and Amazon I see that RM versions are like 2019-2020. Sho what is the series I need to get, please? RM or RMx.

Thank you.

The standard RM isn't as good a unit. I'd grab the RMx.

Pure Power 11 is a good option as well, though some are not modular. So watch what you're buying if you care about modularity. (Shouldn't really matter with a PSU cage in the case.)

4 hours ago, Dotiki said:

Also would this be very noticeable I switch from Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive to WD Blue SSD?

it's 100$ difference

We all pushed you toward more affordable options :P The WD Blue SN550 is NVMe (NVMe good.), and solid. There are WD blue options that are SATA (SATA bad.), which I'd avoid since the SN550 is similarly priced.

(To clarify, SATA is not bad. It's just not as fast and you're not saving anything.)

12 hours ago, trevb0t said:

The standard RM isn't as good a unit. I'd grab the RMx.

Pure Power 11 is a good option as well, though some are not modular. So watch what you're buying if you care about modularity. (Shouldn't really matter with a PSU cage in the case.)

We all pushed you toward more affordable options :P The WD Blue SN550 is NVMe (NVMe good.), and solid. There are WD blue options that are SATA (SATA bad.), which I'd avoid since the SN550 is similarly priced.

(To clarify, SATA is not bad. It's just not as fast and you're not saving anything.)

Oh sorry, I've missed it. I thought when you guys were talking about WB NVMe it was the WD Black. Sure I will switch it then. Thank a lot. :) 

6 minutes ago, Dotiki said:

There is an AMD promotion where you can get a free game with the 3700X or two free games with the 3800X so if the difference is only $15 then it is probably worth it, assuming you want the games in the first place (Outer Worlds and Borderlands 3).

https://www.amd.com/en/gaming/equipped-to-win

You will be fine with a 650W psu. The RMx as mentioned above is better than the RM.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2HbwrH/corsair-rmx-2018-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020178-na

Got it! Thanks. Something going on with the prices of 2080 Ti, jumping back and forth 1k .... 1200k ....1k .... 1200k ....

@lee32uk @trevb0t @Bombastinator Hello, guys. Sorry to bother you again. But can you please take a look at these two builds. Can you please explain me why one is better than other even in two words if you don't have time. Don't look at the price difference, they are both around $2600 if 2080Ti will drop again to $999. Thank you!

The one we did with you:

Another build in the same price range:

30 minutes ago, Dotiki said:

@lee32uk @trevb0t @Bombastinator Hello, guys. Sorry to bother you again. But can you please take a look at these two builds. Can you please explain me why one is better than other even in two words if you don't have time. Don't look at the price difference, they are both around $2600 if 2080Ti will drop again to $999. Thank you!

The one we did with you:

Another build in the same price range:

#1 is better for gaming (3800X is a waste of money. It's barely different than the 3700X.)

#2 would be better if you're doing something like heavy video editing or 3d rendering.