Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gandek

My Hyper 212 EVO fan died, how should I replace it?

Posted · Original PosterOP

My Hyper 212 EVO fan died yesterday after 6 years. Should I replace just the fan? (I’d still need to reapply thermal paste) or just get a new Hyper 212 black edition? My main question is if I’d be able to use the same mounting points on my motherboard from the old cooler, and not have to take the whole system apart and just screw in the new cooler.

i should really just get a new system altogether whenever something on this thing breaks but it’s mainly used by my bro now so ideally I’m looking for a quick fix.

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB + PNY CS900 120GB | GIGABYTE AORUS RX 570 4GB | FRACTAL DESIGN FOCUS G | CORSAIR CX550M  | WINDOWS 10 | Acer GN246HL 144Hz  | ZOWIE EC2-A  And Logitech G502 RGB | CORSAIR K70 RGB RAPIDFIRE MOBILE | Pixel 2XL 64GB | iPad Pro 10.5 64GB  PREVIOUS ACCOUNT: CYANOG

The fan is replacable.  It’s a quiet sleeve bearing fan but the size is very standard.  The complicated bit it many of them are held to the cooler with a set of plastic connectors which are quite delicate and prone to breaking.  If you’ve got to pull it and repaste anyway, pull the whole thing, then unscrew the fan from the cooler.  Do not attempt to unclip the thing from the cooler the plastic clips are likely to break and if you break even one the whole thing gets messed up.  Any 120mm pwm fan will work, though if you want to order one that is the same as your old one that is also effective.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Posted · Original PosterOP
15 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The fan is replacable.  It’s a quiet sleeve bearing fan but the size is very standard.  The complicated bit it many of them are held to the cooler with a set of plastic connectors which are quite delicate and prone to breaking.  If you’ve got to pull it and repaste anyway, pull the whole thing, then unscrew the fan from the cooler.  Do not attempt to unclip the thing from the cooler the plastic clips are likely to break and if you break even one the whole thing gets messed up.  Any 120mm pwm fan will work, though if you want to order one that is the same as your old one that is also effective.

The fans gone all I have left is the heat sink itself and bracket.i don't know how Id be able to mount other fans since they don't look like they would be able to just go right on like the old one just slid right in. 

Il probably just pick up a entirely new one that I see are still sold at Microcenter. 

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB + PNY CS900 120GB | GIGABYTE AORUS RX 570 4GB | FRACTAL DESIGN FOCUS G | CORSAIR CX550M  | WINDOWS 10 | Acer GN246HL 144Hz  | ZOWIE EC2-A  And Logitech G502 RGB | CORSAIR K70 RGB RAPIDFIRE MOBILE | Pixel 2XL 64GB | iPad Pro 10.5 64GB  PREVIOUS ACCOUNT: CYANOG

2 minutes ago, Gandek said:

The fans gone i don't know how Id be able to mount other fans since the old one just slid right in. 

Fans are screwed to this brackets, you can take them off and put them on new fans

D461A892-DCE1-4F1F-9005-6EDC37990210.jpeg

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz  |  CM Hyper 212 Black  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4) 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

4 minutes ago, Gandek said:

The fans gone all I have left is the heat sink itself and bracket.i don't know how Id be able to mount other fans since they don't look like they would be able to just go right on like the old one just slid right in. 

Il probably just pick up a entirely new one that I see are still sold at Microcenter. 

It’s a standard size fan.  Do what you want though.  The brackets if they are unbroken are worth more than a new fan is.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

You can use any 120mm fan. And you can replace the fan without removing whole cooler.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv