IT Certifications!

SeanCallinan
On 1/21/2020 at 11:01 PM, Arika S said:

then they need to be taught as though they have zero experience, just don't give them false hope that a certification will help then get a job, a certification does not mean knowledge or experience. it's a checkbox on a resume. 

It can be the difference to getting an entry level job. I got my help desk position over 3 other guys becuse I had my A+ cert and they did not. (my boss told me this after the fact.) now for higher level stuff, it may not be as big a deal, but at almost every job posting i've seen in my area for any thing higher than entry level (server admin, network admin, etc.) all list either CCNA, Network+, MCSE, etc. as beeing required. (Some list that in conjunction with 5 years experiance and a BS degree.)

Personally I'm all for certifications..... 

Yes they can be expensive, but it's generally reflected in salary and quality of job. 

Plus a lot of the time if you achieve the above, an employer will pay for exams and what not for you to stay current.

But yeh, personally I view the people saying 'They're a money grabbing scheme' 'Experience is more valuable', have either misunderstood the entire point, or are just too lazy to go for them. 

1. Person A: 5 years experience in networking, no certification
  2. Person B: 2 years experience in networking, > CCNA Certified

Person B every time. 

Experience doesn't validate knowledge. Certifications do. 

I only recently got involved in our network, but I'm already above and beyond the guys I work with, who have 10+ years (no certification). They basically just winged it.

I'm not saying experience isn't valuable, obviously knowing how to apply the theory is important, but employers want to know that the theory is there, and rock solid. 

Which an up to date certification does.

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

I'm 31 and looking to go into support/networking after completing a BTEC in support/networking then spending nearly 13 years working in a factory. Not a single job I have found says "if you're 13 years out of date with no industry experiance you're who we're looking for". Hell, half of them want a degree, and experiance, and start on minimum wage.

I've been looking at the ceritification courses where you pay a deposit, complete the course and only pay the rest if you get offered a job in the industry with a certain income. No job, get a deposit refund. They're not cheap but pretty much the only option when you're in your 30's and have bills to pay.

Depending on the certs. Some are universal and used by many industries A+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, CCIE, etc... Anything that isnt widespread is almost useless unless your already at the job using it as experience. Depending on what field in IT you want to go into many different certs would be needed. Most are done by your place of employment as many places use different things. Maraki VS CCNA is a great example...Both do help get you into the door for networking since either would show a employer that you know networking and know basics at the least. 

1 hour ago, wANKER said:

Personally I'm all for certifications..... 

Yes they can be expensive, but it's generally reflected in salary and quality of job. 

Plus a lot of the time if you achieve the above, an employer will pay for exams and what not for you to stay current.

But yeh, personally I view the people saying 'They're a money grabbing scheme' 'Experience is more valuable', have either misunderstood the entire point, or are just too lazy to go for them. 

1. Person A: 5 years experience in networking, no certification
  2. Person B: 2 years experience in networking, > CCNA Certified

Person B every time. 

Experience doesn't validate knowledge. Certifications do. 

I only recently got involved in our network, but I'm already above and beyond the guys I work with, who have 10+ years (no certification). They basically just winged it.

I'm not saying experience isn't valuable, obviously knowing how to apply the theory is important, but employers want to know that the theory is there, and rock solid. 

Which an up to date certification does.

I would rather have someone, that has the *ability* to learn and drive.

I would look at experience, critical thinking/problem solving, and lastly certifications.

I have seen many with certifications with no problem solving ability... knowledge is one thing but how it is applied is important.

a certification says is the person has x knowledge for this vendor. its industry wide and sometimes product specific.

7 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

I would rather have someone, that has the *ability* to learn and drive.

I would look at experience, critical thinking/problem solving, and lastly certifications.

I have seen many with certifications with no problem solving ability...

Certifications alone doesn't count for much. 

But in my opinion, nor does 'experience'. 

Which is what I'm saying about how the certification is applied. 

Applying it to someone who has the fundamental skills and interpersonal skills, rather than just doing a certification because you think it's going to land you a job.

As I say, I've seen people that have been working in the industry for 10+ years that have no fucking clue what they're doing or talking about. 

And that experience is pretty much winging it and Googling shit, and even then, not doing that well.

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

I am on the side of certs do matter, like others have said it shows that your willing to go a step further than the others. Which is also hopefully reflected in your work ethic. Not always the case but something to keep in mind.

A+ is probably the most basic cert that will cover the most amount of ground. 

If your trying to get into a IT field, I suggest getting on a help desk, not a call center. It is where you will get to put your knowledge to work and lay a good foundation of problem solving. For the most part, if you can survive a few years on a help desk you will have a great foundation and find what section of IT you may want to specialize in: Networking, Cyber Security, Data Analyst etc.

Hopefully the company you would work for might let you explore some projects into the field you want while you are on the help desk.