Remote In Linux Desktop

I have this awesome old build that I recently installed Ubuntu on to try out Linux.

Now I want to be able to remote access the desktop from any where I am on any PC.

Not sure if that is something that can be done via a web app or if the computer I am on would need a desktop app to access the host PC.

I have seen a bunch of tutorials for remote access on the same network, but I want to be able to access from any network and any PC, (chromeOS, macOS, windows, linux).

Is there anyone here that has experience setting up remote access to linux desktop or has some resources to point me to that I can do myself?

There are a bunch of different ways to do that, such as

• x2go <- my favorite
  • rdp
  • vnc
  • spice
  • x11 over ssh (x2go is this but better)
  • chrome remote desktop
  • teamviewer

they all have different pros and cons and require varying levels of knowledge to set up, chances are one of them will be good enough for you.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

@Sauron Okay just a quick playing around with remote desktop by google is so stupidly simply.

Mobile app that works. Holy hell. I wonder if there are certain things I can't do, but gonna test it out!

Great suggestions!

9 minutes ago, Grabow said:

Mobile app that works. Holy hell. I wonder if there are certain things I can't do, but gonna test it out!

I think the only major disadvantage is that you need it to be running chrome.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

@Sauron Yeah looks like Chrome needs to be running in the background but the latency is basically non existent.

Playing a video on a laptop with the audio playing through that device and watching on a pixelbook and the audio and video are synced up!

Hmmm, seems to be a connection issue to the linux remote access. Windows connection works fine but can't actually get the linux connection to respond!

You can use ssh I guess. Install a ssh server in your host machine, enable incoming traffics in the firewall(use UFW or something similar). Port forward on your router(also assign your host machine a static private ip address in the router setting) and you are good to go. 

Sudo make me a sandwich