Do i need to uninstall DirectX for installing vulkan?

Hi all, i was thinking of installing VULKAN on my computer. Do i need to uninstall DirectX for that or shall i just install vulkan along with direct X? i know some games allow you to choose the API but what about those that don't let you choose?

Thanks!

No you don't.  Keep them all installed.  Games that don't let you choose will come with an installer that automatically installs whatever API it needs to run.

Edited by Samfisher

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

1 minute ago, AbdulRehmaan said:

@Samfisher so i don't need to uninstall directX? what about the games that don't let me check?

No uninstalling.  I don't understand about the game not letting you choose, what difference does that make? xD

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Hm, thanks but there will be 2 APIs then. Will the game automatically switch to vulkan?

3 minutes ago, AbdulRehmaan said:

Hm, thanks but there will be 2 APIs then. Will the game automatically switch to vulkan?

Yes the game will automatically choose the right one, it won't be able to choose the wrong one, because it's not programmed to work with the wrong one. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X  |  Cooler: Cryorig H7  |  Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar  |  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini  |  RAM: Team Vulcan 16GB  3000MHz  |  GPU: EVGA 1070ti Gaming (Kraken G12 Watercooled) |  PSU: Corsair TXM650  |  Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB + WD Blue M.2 500GB  |  Network Card: Asus PCE-AC56  |  Monitor: Acer Nitro VG270U  |  Audio: Sennheiser HD6XX + Schiit Fulla 2

Laptop:

Lenovo s540:  CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U  |  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2666MHz  |  GPU: AMD Radeon Vega 8  |  Storage: 256GB NVME SSD

Other builds:

Spoiler

Workstation 1:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X  |  Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2  |  Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Pro  |  Case: Corsair Crystal 570X  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz  |  GPU: Nvidia Quadro P5000  |  PSU: Corsair TXM750  |  Storage 1: WD Green 120GB  |  Storage 2: WD Blue 1TB  |  Storage 3: Seagate Barracuda 4TB  |  Monitor: LG 27UD68

There's already half a dozen APIs on your PC, as DirectX is not just "one" API either.

There will likely be DirectX 9, 10, 11, 12, OpenGL on your PC already.

Vulkan is just another one, they are functionally independent of each other.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

As said, unless game has option to pick one, it has preferred APIs arranged in order. So for DX games it would be based on what DX version GPU supports. If its 12, then 12 is picked. If 12 isn't available, 11 is picked and so on.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv