Can current gen HDMI cable or connector output 144 Hz/FPS?

Tonberry

I knew before that HDMI can only output 60 Hz/FPS (cmiiw) compared to Display Port which can outut 144 Hz/FPS.

What's the latest gen of HDMI cable or connector available nowadays? Can it output 144 Hz/FPS?

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

Depends on the resolution and HDMI type on either side. But HDMI 2.1 could do 480Hz at 1080p (theoretically)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

13 minutes ago, minibois said:

Depends on the resolution and HDMI type on either side. But HDMI 2.1 could do 480Hz at 1080p (theoretically)

9 minutes ago, Rxkvn07 said:

yeah sure it can output 144hz depending wich version u get , watch out for atleast 2.0

I have a monitor which always alows me to run 144 Hz at 1080p if only I use DP, but it's limited at 60 Hz if I use HDMI at the same resolution, and my HDMI is 2.0.

So the latest gen of HDMI is 2.1?

Do you think I can get 144 Hz if I use HDMI 2.1?

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

Just now, Sakaki_Makio said:

I have a monitor which always alows me to run 144 Hz if only I use DP, but it's limited at 60 Hz if I use HDMI, and my HDMI is 2.0.

if ur monitor output is 2.1 then yeah , if not so u can only use DP

6 minutes ago, Sakaki_Makio said:

I have a monitor which always alows me to run 144 Hz at 1080p if only I use DP, but it's limited at 60 Hz if I use HDMI at the same resolution, and my HDMI is 2.0.

Depends on what the input of your monitor is.

But even then, the Hz I talked about and all the different 'classes'/versions of HDMI are just theoretical maximums. The manufacturer of the panel or monitor can still decide to only support a lower Hz.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Rxkvn07 said:

if ur monitor output is 2.1 then yeah , if not so u can only use DP

Meh. Just found that my monitor can't run 144 Hz via HDMI. After found about this, I hate my monitor now. I need an elbow adaptor for my DP but no one sell it in my local, they only sell HDMI elbow, so I'll be capped at 60 FPS if I switch to HDMI. ?

SILVER GLINT

On 1/16/2020 at 11:31 AM, Sakaki_Makio said:

Meh. Just found that my monitor can't run 144 Hz via HDMI. After found about this, I hate my monitor now. I need an elbow adaptor for my DP but no one sell it in my local, they only sell HDMI elbow, so I'll be capped at 60 FPS if I switch to HDMI. ?

why would u want to switch to hdmi ? DP perfcectly do the job

There are plenty of adapters & cables to convert across the digital transfer standards. I've done DisplayPort to DVI in one cable just fine. DVI is capable of 144Hz too, at least at 1080p. 
Not sure how well all this works with HDMI - I never use it outside of the kid's console. 

19 hours ago, Rxkvn07 said:

why would u want to switch to hdmi ? DP perfcectly do the job

I need the angled plug to be able to stay with DisplayPort. Whatever it is, HDMI/DP/DVI/VGA, i need it to be 90 deg angled for some space constrains.. If I use angled HDMI extension, then I must use converter HDMI to DP, then there will be the actual DP cable, it's too many addition which potentially problematic. I need a simple angled small extension.

I prefer to buy locally but I'll try to order from aliexpress then. This might be too expensive if I get it overseas.

16 hours ago, Kc7vwc said:

There are plenty of adapters & cables to convert across the digital transfer standards. I've done DisplayPort to DVI in one cable just fine. DVI is capable of 144Hz too, at least at 1080p. 
Not sure how well all this works with HDMI - I never use it outside of the kid's console. 

DVI only carries display it doesnt carry audio. Cmiiw

SILVER GLINT