hi i have a i7 960 with a gtx 970 12 gigs of ddr3 and decent cooling(to my knowledge)

frostea

i want to push my fps in "Fortnte battle royale" (i get upwards of 200 fps but thats uncapped and in a real game with 100 people it struggles to hold 120 fps) but im not sure what to upgrade can i just slap a new graphics card in and get instant results? and then gather a new cpu ram and motherboard or shold i go for my cpu first? i only really want 144 stable fps.

I'd suggest not upgrading your system, and building a new one. Since you're still on an old platform with the LGA1366 socket and ddr3 memory, you don't have much upgrade options (probably limited due to your mobo). 

If you really want to add performance without building a new system, a gpu could do the trick. For example buying a 1650 super or 1660 super. You can then always transfer that gpu over to a new build once you are ready for that.

4 hours ago, frostea said:

i was looking at gtx 1650

That GPU is not worth it, I would suggest upgrading the CPU Motherboard and RAM and see how you do from there.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

5 hours ago, frostea said:

i want to push my fps in "Fortnte battle royale" (i get upwards of 200 fps but thats uncapped and in a real game with 100 people it struggles to hold 120 fps) but im not sure what to upgrade can i just slap a new graphics card in and get instant results? and then gather a new cpu ram and motherboard or shold i go for my cpu first? i only really want 144 stable fps.

The first gen Intel I series overclocked pretty well. I would look to push the CPU clock to 4ghz which doesn't seem too hard on those chips as long as you are using a decent cooler.

Your build is 100% being held back by the cpu. So I would do the OC if possible and see if you can live with those rates. If not then you will want to upgrade. You can get a 2600/mb/ram for around 270 with 16gb of ram (new). Then just reuse everything else if on a budget.

Anyways these sites are only estimates, but here is the before and after if you OC the cpu to 4ghz.

Looks like you could expect a 10-15% bump in average fps.

Screenshot_20200116-084501_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200116-084733_Chrome.jpg

12 hours ago, frostea said:

Your first-gen core system is too old unless you're playing ports of mobile games.

The problem is that you get diminishing returns the older the CPU is. So even if you put a GTX 2080 in there, the lower memory bandwidth on the system will suck a lot of that away. That's why HEDT systems tend to have more memory channels and last significantly longer and can drive 4 GPU's if someone is really hellbent on doing so.

With that said, don't let "pc part calculators" sway you. They are guidelines for reusing parts in a new build rather than upgrading. When you upgrade a system you generally do it one part at a time, and if you're aim is to replace the CPU/MB/RAM, you can buy the most overkill GPU now, and replace the CPU/MB/RAM later when the part you want is available. Right now it's still pretty hard to get a high end Ryzen 3000 series part without paying through the nose.