EK Leak Tester - Tubing Popping Out of Fittings

So, I'm doing my first ever rigid tubing setup for water-cooling, and I completed the CPU run to/from the CPU to the Distro Plate in my case. That is the ONLY run I have, so I thought maybe I should test it to see if it's OK.

When I pump up the leak tester into the green area on the gauge, it drops slightly then POP the tube pops out of a fitting. This happened more than once.

My question is, is the pressure too much for such a small loop? Again, this is only the CPU loop I'm testing. The O-Rings are in the proper place on the fittings and everything is pushed in as far as it will go. I'll attach a pic of the CPU loop run that I'm testing.

IMG_0479.HEIC

The amount of force acting on a seal is the same at a given pressure such as '1 bar' be it in a large loop or a small loop.

if ur tubing is popping out it means u havnt got a tight enough seal. If u have larger o-ring options, use them.

You can also try scuffing up the ends of the tubing (the bit u dont see) with some course sandpaper to allow the o-ring to get a better 'bite'.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

1 minute ago, SolarNova said:

The amount of force acting on a seal is the same at a given pressure such as '1 bar' be it in a large loop or a small loop.

if ur tubing is popping out it means u havnt got a tight enough seal. If u have larger o-ring options, use them.

So, I'm using Bykski fittings. They come with two O-Rings that are not already on/in the fitting. One is bigger and looks like the size of the O-Rings that are inside the fitting already. The other is a smaller, slightly thicker one, that looks like the size of the O-Ring already on the fitting with the part that screws into the block.

I'm using the larger O-Ring on the tube, before the collar that I screw down. Maybe I should try the slightly smaller but thicker O-Ring for that?

I just really cranked down on the collars and tightened them up pretty good, and it seems to be holding a lot better and pressure is staying steady. Perhaps I was a little apprehensive about how tight to tighten those collars at first. Fingers crossed!

Yea really clamp them down. The idea is to squeeze the o-ring u put around the tubing under the collar so that it pushes against the tube. if u dont clamp it down enough it wont squeeze the tube and hold onto it.

Didnt reply straight away was looking up Bykski's fittings, they have a few designs and was hard to find out if any of them had spare o-rings designed to be used with imperial/metric sizes.

Monsoon for example used to include o-rings for both imperial and metric tubing sizes and its important to use the correct one.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

1 hour ago, SolarNova said:

Yea really clamp them down. The idea is to squeeze the o-ring u put around the tubing under the collar so that it pushes against the tube. if u dont clamp it down enough it wont squeeze the tube and hold onto it.

Didnt reply straight away was looking up Bykski's fittings, they have a few designs and was hard to find out if any of them had spare o-rings designed to be used with imperial/metric sizes.

Monsoon for example used to include o-rings for both imperial and metric tubing sizes and its important to use the correct one.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I think I'm getting the hang of it now. Fingertips aren't really enjoying the process though! :)

Bykski actually makes fittings and tubes in both imperial and metric sizes, and they look about the same however they are not. If you get say a tube in 12mm and the fittings in 1/2 inch they do fit but 1/2 inch is 0.7 mm is larger and it will not hold the tube

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

2 hours ago, MaratM said:

Bykski actually makes fittings and tubes in both imperial and metric sizes, and they look about the same however they are not. If you get say a tube in 12mm and the fittings in 1/2 inch they do fit but 1/2 inch is 0.7 mm is larger and it will not hold the tube

Hello, what I ordered was Bykski 10mm ID x 14mm OD Rigid Acrylic Tube and 14mm OD fittings from the Bykski store. This should go together correct?

4 hours ago, mrmeeseeks84 said:

Hello, what I ordered was Bykski 10mm ID x 14mm OD Rigid Acrylic Tube and 14mm OD fittings from the Bykski store. This should go together correct?

Yes, should not be a problem

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop

14 hours ago, SolarNova said:

You can also try scuffing up the ends of the tubing (the bit u dont see) with some course sandpaper to allow the o-ring to get a better 'bite'.

Do not do this. Orings are meant to seal on a smooth surface. Roughing it up is asking for premature failure. 

13 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Do not do this. Orings are meant to seal on a smooth surface. Roughing it up is asking for premature failure. 

We're not talking gouging out the Plastic, just roughing up like u would see on frosted tubing, In addition u dont need to 'rough up' the area of the primary seals, just the area that the o-ring being clamped down on will contact.

I think u underestimate the amount of 'roughness' o-ring can overcome to maintain a seal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2020 at 2:37 PM, SolarNova said:

We're not talking gouging out the Plastic, just roughing up like u would see on frosted tubing, In addition u dont need to 'rough up' the area of the primary seals, just the area that the o-ring being clamped down on will contact.

I think u underestimate the amount of 'roughness' o-ring can overcome to maintain a seal.

Doesnt sound like the best idea even if the o-ring was able to manage it would get destroyed pretty quickly by the rough plastic I would imagine.