Biometrics on a imac from 2012

Hi guys so my elderly Granada is having trouble with login on to some web based applications and was wondering if there is any way to change it so she doesn't have to type her password and instead just use her fingerprint. IF you guys have any other ideas please let me know!

17 minutes ago, Mustangmatt215 said:

Hi guys so my elderly Granada is having trouble with login on to some web based applications and was wondering if there is any way to change it so she doesn't have to type her password and instead just use her fingerprint. IF you guys have any other ideas please let me know!

My grandpa didn’t have any fingerprints left when he got really old.  The skin didn’t replace itself fast enough and they wore away.  What about a plug in key dongle?  Isn’t super secure but it’s mostly about getting the machine going.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

@Bombastinator that true really nerve thought about that. would the key dongle get her up an going on the websites that would require passwords or would it only be to logon to the computer

52 minutes ago, Mustangmatt215 said:

@Bombastinator that true really nerve thought about that. would the key dongle get her up an going on the websites that would require passwords or would it only be to logon to the computer

Thinking about it more, (I have a nasty habit of typing something without thinking it through completely and then having to apologize and back track here). My first statement should have been “I know very close to nothing about computer security but I had a grandfather with this weird thing that might cause an issue.”

it might depend on which “fingerprint” reader you use.  Some of them (maybe all of them now) don’t actually read fingerprints so much as they read fingertips.  So it might still work.  It also might have problems though. No fingerprint ridges might make a fingerprint reader yell “FAKE!!” I dunno.  either way though what kind of computer matters.

Dongle technology is older.  It’s not as secure and it might be harder to implement.  If she’s got a phone with a fingerprint reader and it works you’re golden.

Heres a more useful question: what kind of computer does she use?  That will define the software.  

If it’s a Mac it will either have it built in already, or if it’s an old one but newer than 2011, you’re going to need an iPhone that has it, which means not the current model.

If it’s a PC the possibilities blossom quickly.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.