Hard drive only showing up as 2gb

Im sorry for another noob question but i built my pc and found that my hard drive only shows up as 2GB instead of 2 TB. Im using my ssd at the moment but ive tried reformating it and partioning it again but nothing worked. im sure theres a simpler solution that im unaware of so please may you help me. Ive tried updating the drivers but it said it was all updated. I have got a seagate FireCuda 2 TB. i have also tried going into the bios and tried changing settings to raid but imma be real i dunno what that means and i was kinda getting desperate. if i need to repeat anything or do please tell me with steps as i think ive done most of what i can. 

thanks

image.png

image.png

image.png

Can you show us what it looks like under Drive Management.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Did you key in the capacity when you created the partition?  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

You should first get rid of those devices with ! in the list, in Device Manager.

Install the chipset drivers and whatever other drivers there are for your motherboard first.

It shouldn't affect how the hard drive is detected, but something is wonky. You also have that Microsoft Storage Space as a virtual hard drive, so that could be the 2 GB hard drive, not your mechanical drive.

10 minutes ago, nick name said:

Did you key in the capacity when you created the partition?  

Device Management should show the full capacity, regardless of partitions. If the partition was only 2 GB the rest should show up as unused.

This is an SSHD, my first suspicion was that Windows somehow only shows the SSD part of it, but that should be 8 GB in size. I think you should try the tool @homeap5 mentioned. If that doesn't help... I suspect a defect?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

ive downloaded minitool partion wizard but im not quite sure where to go from there. also are you saying i should delete pcie devices on device manager, what would that do. thanks. sorry for screen shot spam but i just to show what i should do. 

image.png

Nobody told you to delete anything.

The exclamation mark on those entries in device manager tells you that the particular device did not initialize properly, that the driver for that device is not working.

For example, maybe the driver with the problems is a SATA controller which activates the SATA connector in which you have the SATA drive. As the driver doesn't work properly, maybe that's why the SATA drive doesn't show up correctly. Who knows?

As long as there's devices that don't work right, you can't be sure of things.

Go to the motherboard manufacturer website, at your model, and download the drivers and install the drivers and fix issues until there's nothing with exclamation mark or question mark in device manager.

After that, you can make various tests.

For example, you can start by going in BIOS to see if the hard drive is detected correctly with its whole capacity. That will tell you if it's a Windows issue, or an actual hard drive issue. BIOS should report the information directly reported by the drive, without any drivers or software potentially messing things by getting in the middle.

Yo guys I'm sorry but I don't know what the fuck happened... I went into BIOS and changed sata to allow hot plugging and the ram to 3600hz as it was on auto but it was saying 2133hz or something but it wasn't 3600. My ram is 3600mz so I expect it to run as so. I went to go back to Windows and now it won't boot. My led is yellow for (DRAM)

Try placing only one of your RAM memories at a time, it should start and work fine (hopefully). When the system is loaded, I suggest that you update the firmware of both RAM and storage devices, this behavior could already have been corrected by the manufacturer.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

I've put in one at a time but it still won't load. I've checked the display port and it's all in. Either way the debug led light is still orange/yellow colourIMG_20200107_143728.thumb.jpg.43a928af778678444c580a1eb505d3c4.jpg

Unplug the cable from the power supply and remove the battery from the motherboard for around 10-20 seconds, then put it back and plug the power cable back in.  The cable must be removed because the power supply continues to give power to the motherboard 24/7, as long as it's plugged to the mains outlet and will power that memory chip if you remove the battery, and you don't want that, you want the chip to lose power for a few seconds.

This will reset the bios settings so if there are any incorrect settings, they'll be erased and the system should start with a set of default options which are safe but potentially make your system a bit slower (like memory running at 2133 Mhz instead of 3600 Mhz)

Don't change SATA from the default you had to hot plug, because that may put the sata controller on your motherboard in a special mode, for which your Windows may not have the driver or configuration settings needed, which could confuse Windows and make it crash or unable to start.

Hot plug simply means to tell the sata controller that you may remove SATA drives suddenly (imagine external sata drive racks, or inserting sata drives in drive cages), in theory the controller then reports to the operating system when a new drive is discovered or when a drive is disconnected and no longer available.

As for the memory, some memory sticks require a voltage higher than the default (for example, default is 1.2v but some memory sticks require 1.35v for 3200 Mhz or higher). If you enable DOCP or XMP or whatever it's called and load the preset for higher frequency, the motherboard should also raise the voltage automatically to the one needed for that frequency, but sometimes that doesn't happen.

Also, some motherboards simply don't like some types of ram and it's just luck, even if the memory is advertised as 3600 Mhz, you may simply be unlucky and your motherboard doesn't like your memory at that particular frequency, with the particular memory timings stored in the memory stick.

You can start in small steps, for example going from 2133 Mhz to 2666 Mhz, then maybe increasing manually the voltage to 1.35v (if the memory sticks need more than 1.2v for higher frequencies) and you can take further small steps, from 2666 to 2933 / 3000 Mhz, then 3200 Mhz and then 3600 Mhz... and write down what works. When something fails, you can revert back to what worked before.

You can read the memory presets that are stored in the memory sticks using Aida 64 (and freeware CPU-Z, but Aida64 is more detailed), look for "SPD" and you'll have a few memory presets stored in the memory sticks.

I still can't get it to boot. I've tried removing the battery and waiting but nothing happened. I've also tried clearing cmos. My motherboard manual says to use a metal screwdriver to short the pins so I did that. I kept trying by turning the system on and off through the psu and unplugging the cable so I'm not just pressing the power button on the case. One time the orange light went off but the VGA and BOOT light went on. Nothing happened but I thought I'd document the changes.

On 1/7/2020 at 10:33 AM, twin2002 said:

-My motherboard manual says to use a metal screwdriver to short the pins so I did that-

I was going to recommend that, also in some cases removing the silver battery from the MOBO for 24 hours worked for me. And what did the manufacturer tell you? Have you contacted them?

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

No I haven't yet. That's seems like a good idea so I'm going to do that (remove battery) but if that don't work I'm getting a pc repair person to take a look at it. Idk why I'm not paranoid but I don't want to tamper with it anymore. Idk what you mean about contacting the manufacture about sorry so I haven't yet.

2 hours ago, twin2002 said:

No I haven't yet. That's seems like a good idea so I'm going to do that (remove battery) but if that don't work I'm getting a pc repair person to take a look at it. Idk why I'm not paranoid but I don't want to tamper with it anymore. Idk what you mean about contacting the manufacture about sorry so I haven't yet.

Oh ok, no worries! Take it to your place of preference and let us know the results on this weird case. ??

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I had the exact problem recently. This response is for possible future readers, since I could not find info on forums when I was trying to solve it. For this exact problem you would need to go to control panel, and from there navigate to storage options. I had the 2gb listed there as a "safe", and 2tb as physical memory. I just deleted the 2gb and created 2tb safe after it. It worked for me, and everything was OK in the disk/storage management in windows.