Exhange Server 2016

Bruno_A

I linked above an article on enabling protocol logs and setting location

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

On 12/26/2019 at 1:04 PM, Jarsky said:

I linked above an article on enabling protocol logs and setting location

Thanks a lot, I hadn't noticed it. I'll have a look at that. I think, however, it might be best to find a smart host solution.

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

On 12/25/2019 at 9:18 AM, wkdpaul said:

You'll need to create an MX record on your public DNS. Never checked if you could use O365 to point to your on-premise Exchange server. It's probably doable, but again, you need public DNS records.

Hybrid Exchange setup is supported in both configurations of O365 being the public transport server or your On-Prem Exchange server. Once the mail hits either one of those it just looks at the transport rules for the destination mailbox and sends it on to where it need to go within your Exchange setup, so no matter where it comes in by it'll get to where it needs to go (unless you monkey with the transport and send connectors and break it but we're free to break anything right ?).

So it's actually not a bad option to purchase an O365 subscription that supports custom domains as a single user license for home labs and then point your MX records for your own domain to Exchange Online so it can do all the spam filtering and route mail to your lab Exchange Server and your lab Exchange Server can send mail back through to Exchange Online then out to the public internet. Gets past all the typical residential mail server blocking etc and protects you as well.

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

Hybrid Exchange setup is supported in both configurations of O365 being the public transport server or your On-Prem Exchange server. Once the mail hits either one of those it just looks at the transport rules for the destination mailbox and sends it on to where it need to go within your Exchange setup, so no matter where it comes in by it'll get to where it needs to go (unless you monkey with the transport and send connectors and break it but we're free to break anything right ?).

So it's actually not a bad option to purchase an O365 subscription that supports custom domains as a single user license for home labs and then point your MX records for your own domain to Exchange Online so it can do all the spam filtering and route mail to your lab Exchange Server and your lab Exchange Server can send mail back through to Exchange Online then out to the public internet. Gets past all the typical residential mail server blocking etc and protects you as well.

I was actually able to get my Server working as intended. I've got ports 80, 443 and 25 forwarded to the Exchange server in my router, so, I can access the OWA and receive emails, and used Amazon SES as a Smart Host to relay my outgoing emails. I am able to send emails to the internet, as long as the email is a verified email in the SES console. This is a limitation for new accounnts, I believe, that I already requested to lift.

Regarding the Office 365, that is an interesting setup. I do have an email domain in Office 365 For Business that I use for my emails and One Drive. How would that work? Would the Office 365 work as an SMTP relay that receives outgoing emails from my Exchange Server and send them to the destination, and the other way around? Receives from the sender and sends to my Exchange server?

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

10 hours ago, Bruno_A said:

Would the Office 365 work as an SMTP relay that receives outgoing emails from my Exchange Server and send them to the destination, and the other way around? Receives from the sender and sends to my Exchange server?

All of the above, you can configure it to send and receive however you wish of any combination. Office 365/Exchange Online works more like an actual Exchange server in your Exchange Server environment  or it's more than just a SMTP relay but that is the big thing most people need. It's better to relay inbound and outbound email through Office 365 as it gets spam filtered and all the important reverse lookups and DNS security IDs are done for you so you are way less likely to get blacklisted. I think you're getting all that now with Amazon SES anyway though.

16 hours ago, leadeater said:

All of the above, you can configure it to send and receive however you wish of any combination. Office 365/Exchange Online works more like an actual Exchange server in your Exchange Server environment  or it's more than just a SMTP relay but that is the big thing most people need. It's better to relay inbound and outbound email through Office 365 as it gets spam filtered and all the important reverse lookups and DNS security IDs are done for you so you are way less likely to get blacklisted. I think you're getting all that now with Amazon SES anyway though.

As it turns out, while Amazon SES delivers my emails, some email services will send it to Junk, such as Outlook and Office 365 emails. I need to find something better. I either find some information on how to improve my chances of not going to Junk, or I'll have a look at how I could use Office 365 For Business as a Relay.