Setting static IP on Computer. modem or router gateway?

Arika

God i hate networking stuff

So i'm just planning a change to my network and want to get everything figured out before deploying it. 

this is the plan

image.png.57e03fffe0a9542ef9355b976432b202.png

So if i want to set a static IP on 2 computers (connected via ethernet to the router) do it set the default gateway as 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.2.1?

Router is taking care of DHCP and gets internet from modem directly though WAN port, PCs connected to router through LAN ports

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

192.168.2.1 is your Gateway to get to the 192.168.0.0 network. You'll want to use 192.168.2.1 as it is set as the Default Gateway for the Subnet of the network. That's how DHCP works.

You could also just run ip ad or ipconfig (depending on your choice of OS) and copy what it reports as the Default Gateway. :D

Don't forget to remove the IPs from the DHCP pool or reserve the IPs in the router so you don't cause a duplicate address error on the network.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You could also just run ip ad or ipconfig (depending on your choice of OS) and copy what it reports as the Default Gateway. :D

Don't forget to remove the IPs from the DHCP pool or reserve the IPs in the router so you don't cause a duplicate address error on the network.

If i ever needed to connect directly to the modem (to do a reset or w/e), i'd have the change the default gatewate to 192.168.0.1?

Would it be suggested to just disable DHCP on the modem or will that mess it it communicating with the router? (since it's a modem/router but doesn't do what i want it to so i'm just using it as a modem only)

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

57 minutes ago, Arika S said:

If i ever needed to connect directly to the modem (to do a reset or w/e), i'd have the change the default gatewate to 192.168.0.1?

Would it be suggested to just disable DHCP on the modem or will that mess it it communicating with the router? (since it's a modem/router but doesn't do what i want it to so i'm just using it as a modem only)

The ideal configuration would be to set the modem into Bridged mode. What this does is give all WAN related routing responsibility to your Router. The router would receive your Public IPs on the WAN interface as well.

From my experience even without a network specified these modems and routers will have a interface set on a network address such as 192.168.100.1 even when that is not a part of the network DHCP is handing out. Connecting directly to the modem may allow you to talk to it by querying that address even though the IP you would get wouldn't be a part of that network. You'll have to read up on the modems manual and/or test it to see if it accepts that.

It may be worthwhile to you that I mention that how your network is configured here is referred to as a Double NAT. This is generally undesirable and you'd want to eliminate it if possible.

Although a Double NAT won't affect most users for basic Internet access needs some game services can have problems with it along with if you ever decided you want to host a server or remote into one of your own. Port Forwarding is essentially broken and/or a non-option when behind a Double NAT. In theory it could be circumvented but it's best to just eliminate the Double NAT.

When you enable Bridged mode in your Modem/Router the router part of the device gets disabled and the WAN that is your ISP network passes though the Ethernet cable on the unit. You then connect your own Router. Once this is done there's no longer a reason to touch the Modem or it's configuration unless something is wrong with the unit. Your standalone Router would be where you control everything.

Configured this way there are only two networks. The LAN coming off your Router and your ISP's WAN coming off the WAN interface on your Router. There is no second 192.168.x.x network.

Just thought I should mention those details. May be useful.

2 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

-snip-

So i put my modem in bridge mode. connected the router and input all the details.....and it worked first try

Image result for hurley what gif

literally never happens when it comes to me and networking

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

7 hours ago, Arika S said:

So i put my modem in bridge mode. connected the router and input all the details.....and it worked first try

literally never happens when it comes to me and networking

xD Well, let's verify the configuration is correct.

On the WAN interface of your Router looking at it from the WebUI do you see your Public IPv6 and/or a Public IPv4 address? You can verify what you see is true by Googling What is my IP?

Does your LAN DHCP configuration register as 192.168.0.0/24, or 192.168.1.0/24, (Some vendors use 192.168.100.0/24). You can set this to whatever you like actually. Personally I like 10.0.0.0/24 but that's just because it's less to type when setting static addresses.