Not enough power?

Vuem2

Hi guys,

I recently have a problem that the PC shuts down only while I am playing games.

Here my spec,

Ryzen 5 2600 

EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra Hybrid Cooling 

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

PSU EVGA 650 N1, 650W

Is it lack of wattage? Or something?

Appreciated 

Not a lack of wattage. Is your CPU shutting down from thermal limits?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

That card has a minimum of 650 w power supply and it is not always good to go by the minimum. You should either buy a higher wattage power supply or tweak the settings of your components to make them draw less power. You should also see if lowering your graphics setting in the game makes a difference. Go into pc part picker, enter all your components and see what wattage you need. Hope this helped

4 minutes ago, AvocadosGuac said:

Not a lack of wattage. Is your CPU shutting down from thermal limits?

How can I prevent this?

1 minute ago, MrCheeze said:

That card has a minimum of 650 w power supply and it is not always good to go by the minimum. You should either buy a higher wattage power supply or tweak the settings of your components to make them draw less power. You should also see if lowering your graphics setting in the game makes a difference. Go into pc part picker, enter all your components and see what wattage you need. Hope this helped

Thanks, I would consider in another PSU, but not a the moment :)

If anything is overclocked, disable them. It could just be instability. It could also be the PSU. Not because of the wattage, but because the N1 is absolute dogshit garbage. Try replacing it with a decent 450-550W PSU.

1 minute ago, MrCheeze said:

That card has a minimum of 650 w power supply and it is not always good to go by the minimum

That's a recommendation, not a minimum. The recommendation assumes a worst case scenario with a crappy PSU. If you look at how much the system actually needs, you'll find a much lower number.

2 minutes ago, MrCheeze said:

Go into pc part picker, enter all your components and see what wattage you need.

The wattage calculator there is absolutely useless. For a better estimate, I recommend you go to random.org, as that will give you a more realistic value.

:)

you got a really crappy PSU, so of course it's not gonna run well. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

4 minutes ago, MrCheeze said:

That card has a minimum of 650 w power supply and it is not always good to go by the minimum.

Not true. The 2080 draws ~ 250 watts. he still has "400" watts left. That CPU, even overclocked wont touch 100.

I dont care how much RGB they have, its not gonna draw 300watts.

3 minutes ago, Vuem2 said:

How can I prevent this?

Download aida64. Run the stress test. If your temps exceed 80c, you have a cooling issue. I would suggest reinstalling your CPU cooler and seeing if the issue persists.

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

1 minute ago, AvocadosGuac said:

Not true. The 2080 draws ~ 250 watts. he still has "400" watts left. That CPU, even overclocked wont touch 100.

Download aida64. Run the stress test. If your temps exceed 80c, you have a cooling issue. I would suggest reinstalling your CPU cooler and seeing if the issue persists.

Evga says that the minimum is a 650 watt power supply. It might only draw 250 watts but evga says that it is the minimum for the entire system.

3 minutes ago, MrCheeze said:

Evga says that the minimum is a 650 watt power supply. It might only draw 250 watts but evga says that it is the minimum for the entire system.

It doesn't matter what EVGA says about a minimum recommended PSU. Those numbers are VERY conservative and you should do your OWN calculations, and then add ~ 25%.

I could run two 2080's in SLI with a 3900x on a 750watt psu and everything would be fine.

10 minutes ago, AvocadosGuac said:

Thanks, I would look into it

29 minutes ago, AvocadosGuac said:

I ran the aida64, here is the result. I still use stock cooler from ryzen 5 2600, but I replaced the pre-applied thermal pastes with the Noctua NT-H1 paste.

How can I prevent this? buying an after market cooler?

CPU Load Temp.JPG

2 minutes ago, Vuem2 said:

I ran the aida64, here is the result. I still use stock cooler from ryzen 5 2600, but I replaced the pre-applied thermal pastes with the Noctua NT-H1 paste.

How can I prevent this? buying an after market cooler?

CPU Load Temp.JPG

Is your CPU overclocked? Those temps look high even for the OEM cooler... it should idle in the mid 30's. Try re-installing your CPU cooler

6 minutes ago, AvocadosGuac said:

Is your CPU overclocked? Those temps look high even for the OEM cooler... it should idle in the mid 30's. Try re-installing your CPU cooler

I am not sure, the peek CPU clock speed  was 3900mhz. 

57 minutes ago, AvocadosGuac said:

Just re-installed the CPU cooler, this time I spread the paste evenly across the cpu heat spreader, instead of leaving a dot pattern as before.

However, the result remains the same :)) 

CPU Load Temp.JPG

20 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

The PSU is garbo. That is why its shutting down. 

Or at least most likely considering what PSU it is

Haha, garbo, that is so Australian, LOL. (no offence)

I will replace it with a 80 Plus Gold just to be sure.

Thanks bro

3 hours ago, Vuem2 said:

Haha, garbo, that is so Australian, LOL. (no offence)

I will replace it with a 80 Plus Gold just to be sure.

Thanks bro

Please actually tell us which PSU. 

Because 80+ gold is an efficiency rating. Nothing more. Doesnt say how good the PSU actually is

Just now, Vuem2 said:

I am not sure, any suggestion?

May be this one:

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-GD-0700-V1

pick something from tier B or higher. 

The EVGA GD is fine, but its not great. would look at the cx550, pure power 11 600w, TX550m, Bitfenix formula gold 550w over that one. 

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

pick something from tier B or higher. 

The EVGA GD is fine, but its not great. would look at the cx550, pure power 11 600w, TX550m, Bitfenix formula gold 550w over that one. 

Thanks alot