Router-Modem?

GrizzlyBear0

I'm a bit confused about the router and modem. i did read about them but still confused.  i was wondering if someone can explain it a bit more for me

Also what's better a router with a modem or just a router.

Another question would be does any router work with the internet company i'm with or what?[I'm with bezeq.]

Modem: converts the 'outside internet line' (like fiber, copper, telephone line) into an internet/tv signal for inside your home

Router: routes the traffic inside your network and to the outside. With DHCP it will give everyone in the house their own IP so they can operate independly and when you want to interact with the outside world, it goes through the router, to the internet, to the router and then to you back (so it doesn't go to anyone else in the house). When you type in 'google.com' into your search browser, your router will get a 'request' to give google.com. Its DNS will then find the address that corresponds with 'google.com' and give you a webpage.

Many ISP's will provide a modem/router combo (which usually is an 'access point' to, which is fancy language for 'wifi transmitting device') that does all the tasks above (and more).

A separate modem/router is not necessarily worse or better. But what ISP's include is usually quite limited in terms of settings (static IP adresses, QOS, VPN options, etc.) and the WiFi usually sucks, which is why people usually get a separate router.

The modem is difficult to replace (as that connects to the outside world, which the ISP in my experience usually makes so you can't just connect any modem to it, but your mileage may vary). The router can usually be replaced. If your ISP includes a router/modem combo, be sure to either:

- turn off all router function on the modem (DHCP, DNS, etc.)

or

- turn on bridge mode on the router.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

12 minutes ago, minibois said:

or

That may not possible in all cases though. If e.g. I switch my modem/router into bridge mode I don't have Internet access anymore since my provider doesn't support that.

You can certainly disable DHCP/DNS etc. but that means you need a second router to provide that functionality, which requires extra power. Depending on the quality of the router supplied by the ISP it may beworth it, just something to keep in mind.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

You can certainly disable DHCP/DNS etc. but that means you need a second router to provide that functionality

Yes? Using a second router was the only reason I wrote that..

18 minutes ago, minibois said:

The router can usually be replaced. If your ISP includes a router/modem combo, be sure to either:

or

3 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

That may not possible in all cases though. If e.g. I switch my modem/router into bridge mode I don't have Internet access anymore since my provider doesn't support that.

You will still need a router and a modem. It's just possible to add a router and make that do the routing stuff in your network.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 minutes ago, minibois said:

Yes? Using a second router was the only reason I wrote that..

You will still need a router and a modem. It's just possible to add a router and make that do the routing stuff in your network.

10 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

You can certainly disable DHCP/DNS etc. but that means you need a second router to provide that functionality, which requires extra power. Depending on the quality of the router supplied by the ISP it may beworth it, just something to keep in mind.

25 minutes ago, minibois said:

Modem: converts the 'outside internet line' (like fiber, copper, telephone line) into an internet/tv signal for inside your home

Router: routes the traffic inside your network and to the outside. With DHCP it will give everyone in the house their own IP so they can operate independly and when you want to interact with the outside world, it goes through the router, to the internet, to the router and then to you back (so it doesn't go to anyone else in the house). When you type in 'google.com' into your search browser, your router will get a 'request' to give google.com. Its DNS will then find the address that corresponds with 'google.com' and give you a webpage.

Many ISP's will provide a modem/router combo (which usually is an 'access point' to, which is fancy language for 'wifi transmitting device') that does all the tasks above (and more).

A separate modem/router is not necessarily worse or better. But what ISP's include is usually quite limited in terms of settings (static IP adresses, QOS, VPN options, etc.) and the WiFi usually sucks, which is why people usually get a separate router.

The modem is difficult to replace (as that connects to the outside world, which the ISP in my experience usually makes so you can't just connect any modem to it, but your mileage may vary). The router can usually be replaced. If your ISP includes a router/modem combo, be sure to either:

or

So what would i be looking for? a router? for a home.

Just now, GrizzlyBear0 said:

So what would i be looking for? a router? for a home.

I don't know, depends on what you are missing out on right now.

most home users will not need a separate router at all, unless you have some pretty specific uses which you can't edit on the modem/router combo from your ISP.

QoS? Static IP's? Opening certains ports? WiFi? Mesh networking?
What are you looking for?

17 minutes ago, minibois said:

I don't know, depends on what you are missing out on right now.

most home users will not need a separate router at all, unless you have some pretty specific uses which you can't edit on the modem/router combo from your ISP.

QoS? Static IP's? Opening certains ports? WiFi? Mesh networking?
What are you looking for?

i guess QoS+ports.

23 minutes ago, minibois said:

I know that you always need a modem. What I'm saying is, if I switch my modem/router into bridge mode, it stops functioning as a modem. Connecting another router or computer to it doesn't do anything in this case. I'm not 100% sure how it works, but I think in bridge mode the ISP actually gets to see the MAC address of the device attached to the modem, which is then not cleared for internet access.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Just now, GrizzlyBear0 said:

i guess QoS+ports.

Personally I would look at Asus' and AVM's routers. They have good customizability and the options to expand the WiFi network while still being on the same WiFi SSID.

Keep in mind, with ports I do not meant physical ethernet connections, but rather digital ports to have a connection to/from. For stuff like a NAS or camera to system to access from outside of your network.

The QoS on either is limited, but adequate for what most people will need to do.