My new Ryzen 3900x system keeps truning itself back on after full shutdown

Hello all,

I am having an odd issue with my new motherboard/system. I just swapped out my Threadripper 1950x and Gigabyet x399 Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard for a Ryzen 3900x and Gigabyte x570 Xtreme. So far, I have no issues with the performance. I have not done any overclocking, and everything has been stable.

Here is my full parts list vis PC Part Picker:
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/BqHhP6

I have installed the latest Bios version; F10 from Gigabyte's website. I also have downloaded the latest chipset drivers and individual drivers for all the components that are Windows 10 1909 supported, as I am running Windows 10 Pro version 1909.

One 3 known occasions now, my system has powered itself back from a full shutdown state. I powered it down before heading out for a bit. and when I came home it was powered on. When I logged into my main user account, task manager said system up time was 4 hours and some change, which meant it kicked on shortly after I had powered it down.

Last night I had done a full shut down, and while working on another build for a friend, my system powered itself back on. This time I actually saw it do it. At this point, I started researching what could been causing it. Here are some steps I have taken to try to prevent it from doing it.

In BIOS, I double checked to make sure fast boot was off, which it has been since I installed the BIOS. I turned off 'Wake Up On LAN" after the first time it turned itself back on, but the issue continues. Since it turned back on last night, I have gone into Windows Power Settings and changed the following under the Sleep tree:
-Sleep After: Never
-Hibernate: Never
-Allow Wake Times: Never

I also went into device manager and turned off 'Allow this device to wake PC" under the mouse and keyboard settings. After I made this changes, I clicked on the start icon, and click 'Shut down". It shut all the way down, and I tapped on my keyboard and mouse a little bit to make sure they where not going to trigger a boot up. It stayed powered down, and I left the room. Later on when I came back to the PC, and it was booted up again and task manager said it was up almost 4 hours, which means the system stayed shut down for about an hour and a half, if that, before it booted back up.

Does anyone have anything else I could try? I would just keep the kill switch off for now, but I really don't want to do that. I know the Ryzen 3900x and x570 is still relatively new and there is not a lot about this board online yet. I have not attempted to contact Gigabyte yet.. That's my next step on Monday when they have support lines open.

This happens to my Asus Pro WS X570-ACE since 1.0.0.4 patch B.

There's a new BIOS from last week that I have not installed yet.

I am hoping that fixes it for me. Someone else also made a thread like this a week or two ago.

I don't remember who though.

Are you on a Ryzen system as well?

Edit: Sorry, that was a dumb reply. I just looked at your board specs. I'm glad I am not the only one having this issue. Have you tried anything else to resolve it on your end?

5 minutes ago, Liberty610 said:

Are you on a Ryzen system as well?

Edit: Sorry, that was a dumb reply. I just looked at your board specs. I'm glad I am not the only one having this issue. Have you tried anything else to resolve it on your end?

Going to do a BIOS update tomorrow after I finish an important project on that machine.

Don't want to touch it before that. I'll try to remember to come back and let you know if that worked.

quote.PNG.3131bf494c233b9e9751b3729e9830b2.PNG

Also, be sure to use the quote button so that people get notified that you replied to them.

3 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Going to do a BIOS update tomorrow after I finish an important project on that machine.

Don't want to touch it before that. I'll try to remember to come back and let you know if that worked.

quote.PNG.3131bf494c233b9e9751b3729e9830b2.PNG

Also, be sure to use the quote button so that people get notified that you replied to them.

Got ya. Thanks for the tip.

I was one of the Threadripper launch day guys, so I know what growing pains is on these new platforms. But I held off on getting a x570 for a while in hopes most the bugs where out. Although this is a minor annoyance, it's still an annoyance. I guess I'll use my PSU killswitch after shutting down for now.

I would have declared it a possessed PC and burned it to the ground, LOL

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

6 minutes ago, Liberty610 said:

Got ya. Thanks for the tip.

I was one of the Threadripper launch day guys, so I know what growing pains is on these new platforms. But I held off on getting a x570 for a while in hopes most the bugs where out. Although this is a minor annoyance, it's still an annoyance. I guess I'll use my PSU killswitch after shutting down for now.

Same. I bought a 1700, 1800X (on sale for $319 not when it was $500 lol), 1950X, 2700X, 2950X, 3900X, 3950X, and now a 3970X.

Zen2 has been the least buggy so far, but there's definitely still some maturing to do.

This is a cross brand problem too. Surprised there's only a hand full of complaints.

Really makes me wonder what the common thread is between us that are having the issue.

39 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Same. I bought a 1700, 1800X (on sale for $319 not when it was $500 lol), 1950X, 2700X, 2950X, 3900X, 3950X, and now a 3970X.

Zen2 has been the least buggy so far, but there's definitely still some maturing to do.

This is a cross brand problem too. Surprised there's only a hand full of complaints.

Really makes me wonder what the common thread is between us that are having the issue.

Well, it makes me feel a little better to know I am not alone in this one. Like I said, I'll just use my PSU killswitch after shutdown for now. I have just submitted a online ticket with Gigabyte as well in hopes that they can shed some light on it, or at least be aware of the issue.

I want a 3950x for this board, but I can't get my hands on one right now. I get alerts of when they are in stock, and when I go to look, they are gone already. I have not looked into the 3rd gen Threadrippers. I know they are beefy, but I just don't have the need for them. My production projects are small to mid sized and I do some gaming on the side, so the 3900x and potentially the 3950x will be a sweet spot cpu for me.

Thanks for the replies so far! Let me know when you do your bios update and if it seems to help!

On 12/8/2019 at 12:45 AM, Den-Fi said:

Ok, so I have ruled out another possibility of what's been causing this on my system. It was suggested to me that maybe it was the power/reset switch cables for my case. So far, I have made sure they are all snug and not loose, and I have disconnected them completely. Both times, I did a full shut down, and within 10 mins of both shut downs, it booted itself back up.

I noticed today that there is a new Bios version as of yesterday. So I am going to call Gigabyte and talk to them and see what they say before attempting to install that new Bios.

1 minute ago, Liberty610 said:

Ok, so I have ruled out another possibility of what's been causing this on my system. It was suggested to me that maybe it was the power/reset switch cables for my case. So far, I have made sure they are all snug and not loose, and I have disconnected them completely. Both times, I did a full shut down, and within 10 mins of both shut downs, it booted itself back up.

I noticed today that there is a new Bios version as of yesterday. So I am going to call Gigabyte and talk to them and see what they say before attempting to install that new Bios.

Yeah. This was happening to me with the board just sitting on a cardboard box, no case buttons attached.

5 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

Yeah. This was happening to me with the board just sitting on a cardboard box, no case buttons attached.

Wow.... well then... 2 different boards from 2 different manufactures with the same issue. This is interesting. I wonder what they come up with for it. I am actually on hold with Gigabyte right now. I'll report back with what they have to say.

I have had some weird issues with builds I have done in the past, but this is a new one to me!

2 hours ago, Den-Fi said:

Gigabyte tech support suggested to enable Erp mode in the Bios because one of my devices assisted to be triggering the power on state. After enabling it, my computer remains off since my last shut down over an hour ago. Usually it kicks back on within the first 15 minuets. So far, this has solved my problem.

I had this happen perhaps 3-5 times on my computer.

Asus Crosshair VIII Formula

Ryzen 9 3900X

It hasn't done it in a while - probably after one of the BIOS updates. I'm not really sure though.

26 minutes ago, KakenBetaal said:

I had this happen perhaps 3-5 times on my computer.

Asus Crosshair VIII Formula

Ryzen 9 3900X

It hasn't done it in a while - probably after one of the BIOS updates. I'm not really sure though.

The Gigabyte rep didn't say if a Bios update would or wouldn't fix it. They have released a new bios as of yesterday. I am always on the fence about installing them because everything else appears to be working fine. However, with it being a new Ryzen setup, I know the platform still has some maturing to do as Den-Fi mentioned. So I am always on the fence about whether or not I should be updating.

I haven't fully tested if enabling the Erp has fixed this issue. Right now, I can only assume it has because the last several times I have done a full shutdown, it's booted itself back up within 20 minuets. After I enabled Erp, I shut down for over an hour and it stayed off, but I have video work to do today so I had to boot back up. So far so good, though. I guess I can feel more confident that it's fixed if I walk into the room tomorrow morning and it's still off after my shut down later tonight.

Just to follow up, I shut down the PC last night after I was done working with it, and it stayed off all night. No more random boot ups. So enabling ErP mode has prevented the issue from returning.

Thank you all  for the feedback and help!