PIA VPN

RudePlayers

With the recent (few weeks/months) of PIA and LTT not producing and sponsors spots for PIA dew to the purchase of PIA by another company, where does LTT stand? I purchased PIA based off an LTT recommendation because I trust LTT to vet there sponsors before representing a company.  With more and more time passing it leads me to believe that PIA should not be trusted.  Should I be switching VPNs? Where does LMG stand on this matter? I feel that we need an official update very soon regarding this matter.

Edit: if I've missed an official update then my bad and I will edit post accordingly 

My Rig

i7-5930k @ 3.5GHz ~ Gigabyte G1 gaming 980ti ~ 32GB gskillz ripjaws 4 DDR4 ~ NZXT Kraken x61 AIO water cooler ~ Corsair AX1200i PSU (over kill I know) ~ Seagate 2TB + 1TB HDD ~ SanDisk 120GB SSD + Samsung 256 850 evo ~ Asus x99-deluxe MOBO

33 minutes ago, RudePlayers said:

Should I be switching VPNs? Where does LMG stand on this matter? I feel that we need an official update very soon regarding this matter.

Linus discussed it on the WAN show 2 weeks ago.

(around 47min)

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

32 minutes ago, RudePlayers said:

With the recent (few weeks/months) of PIA and LTT not producing and sponsors spots for PIA dew to the purchase of PIA by another company, where does LTT stand? I purchased PIA based off an LTT recommendation because I trust LTT to vet there sponsors before representing a company.  With more and more time passing it leads me to believe that PIA should not be trusted.  Should I be switching VPNs? Where does LMG stand on this matter? I feel that we need an official update very soon regarding this matter.

Edit: if I've missed an official update then my bad and I will edit post accordingly 

Linus said this will give PIA a chance in one of the recent WAN shows. Right now they won't be endorsing PIA so you can't really say anything about that. I see a lot of people moving to Mullvad so I jumped ship too.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

7 hours ago, Spotty said:

Linus discussed it on the WAN show 2 weeks ago.

He discussed it yesterday. Said PIA agreed to appear on a future WAN show. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I have never really used there service if I need to just get on the internet and only use a browser then I use Tor ( because three letter agencies complain about it being used) whatever else I would use either open vpn or tails(OS based on Tor) depending on the security I need. Best part all of that is free

2 minutes ago, cole0622 said:

Tor

Even thats not full proof. Ive heard of 3 letter intellegence agencies having exit nodes for Tor. The fact is, nothing is really safe. You cant trust governments and you cant trust corporations. The only real place we have privacy is in our own heads. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Even thats not full proof. Ive heard of 3 letter intellegence agencies having exit nodes for Tor. The fact is, nothing is really safe. You cant trust governments and you cant trust corporations. The only real place we have privacy is in our own heads. 

even if that is true the connection follows this path browser encrypted > entry node > bridge node > exit node so they could see traffic however its untraceable as the connection for each site you visit is randomized this is also why you should never log into accounts that can link back to you no vpn no matter how good will protect you from that

3 hours ago, cole0622 said:

even if that is true the connection follows this path browser encrypted > entry node > bridge node > exit node so they could see traffic however its untraceable as the connection for each site you visit is randomized this is also why you should never log into accounts that can link back to you no vpn no matter how good will protect you from that

I don't see using a VPN and Tor as an either/or thing.  Using Tor automatically raises the level of scrutiny all of your traffic receives.  While it's not clear what sites you're visiting via Tor, your IP address is clearly using Tor.  In a world where everyone uses postcards, an envelope is suspicious.  I have heard that 3-letter agencies keep track of who uses Tor.  I can certainly imagine ISPs taking note.

I personally only use Tor over a VPN to add one step of ambiguity to my Tor traffic.

There are downsides to using Tor.  The latency is very high.  Downloading large files over Tor is discouraged (and might arguably be abusive to the resources provided to/by the Tor network for free).  You already pointed out that it's inadvisable to route traffic over Tor which can be used to de-anonymize you in other ways.  There are also network-region side-effects; I once tried to use Google over Tor and kept getting redirected to some euro version of Google that wasn't useful for me.

I haven't (yet) decided to route 100% of my traffic over a VPN, so I use all 3 types: vanilla, VPN, and VPN+Tor (but I do not use Tor sans VPN).

7 hours ago, adfaklsdjf said:

I don't see using a VPN and Tor as an either/or thing.  Using Tor automatically raises the level of scrutiny all of your traffic receives.  While it's not clear what sites you're visiting via Tor, your IP address is clearly using Tor.  In a world where everyone uses postcards, an envelope is suspicious.  I have heard that 3-letter agencies keep track of who uses Tor.  I can certainly imagine ISPs taking note.

I personally only use Tor over a VPN to add one step of ambiguity to my Tor traffic.

There are downsides to using Tor.  The latency is very high.  Downloading large files over Tor is discouraged (and might arguably be abusive to the resources provided to/by the Tor network for free).  You already pointed out that it's inadvisable to route traffic over Tor which can be used to de-anonymize you in other ways.  There are also network-region side-effects; I once tried to use Google over Tor and kept getting redirected to some euro version of Google that wasn't useful for me.

I haven't (yet) decided to route 100% of my traffic over a VPN, so I use all 3 types: vanilla, VPN, and VPN+Tor (but I do not use Tor sans VPN).

even if you use any vpn you will gain attention in addition don't route 100% of the traffic as any system/app updates could identify you, there is nothing on google that you need Tor for if you use google your likely to identify yourself, it is hard to fingerprint Tor especially when using bridges not saying it cant be done