Repurposing old servers, for mass multiboxing in WoW.

Demolished

So a quick bit of background, my current PC (Intel 6950X, 128GB Ram, GTX 1080) is capable of running up to 70 world of warcraft clients before the computer literally panics and starts crashing in all sorts of odd ways. I have heavily modified the wow clients to use next to 0 processing or graphical power. However the thing I cannot get around whatsoever is memory usage, both vram and ram. So with this, the most logical route is going for servers rather than faster computers, as it doesn't need a fast processor, just lots of cores and memory.

So with any information that people have today, I'm trying to find the cheapest builds I can go with to build several servers that can handle as many wow clients as possible. I honestly believe we could even go back to Intel Xeon E5 series chips, DDR2 Ram, etc. I am just having a hard time finding these things together, let alone working.

So what I'm looking for...
Dual socket CPU board, that has processors over 2Ghz with as many cores as possible, and capable of 128Gb of Ram.
128Gb of compatible ECC or FB ram.
Some old graphics cards that have/had a ton of VRam.

I'm honestly looking for most clients per dollar, and nothing more. I don't care how old the stuff is, I don't care how cheap/expensive it is. Obviously if I wait until the 64core threadripper comes out I could easily double my number of clients, but RAM is still a bottleneck. Sorry for the rant/TMI, just don't want to confuse anyone about what I'm trying to do.

So I don't need a build persay, just an idea of what is still readily available and cheap. Thanks in advance to any ideas people have!

48 minutes ago, Demolished said:

So a quick bit of background, my current PC (Intel 6950X, 128GB Ram, GTX 1080) is capable of running up to 70 world of warcraft clients before the computer literally panics and starts crashing in all sorts of odd ways. I have heavily modified the wow clients to use next to 0 processing or graphical power. However the thing I cannot get around whatsoever is memory usage, both vram and ram. So with this, the most logical route is going for servers rather than faster computers, as it doesn't need a fast processor, just lots of cores and memory.

So with any information that people have today, I'm trying to find the cheapest builds I can go with to build several servers that can handle as many wow clients as possible. I honestly believe we could even go back to Intel Xeon E5 series chips, DDR2 Ram, etc. I am just having a hard time finding these things together, let alone working.

So what I'm looking for...
Dual socket CPU board, that has processors over 2Ghz with as many cores as possible, and capable of 128Gb of Ram.
128Gb of compatible ECC or FB ram.
Some old graphics cards that have/had a ton of VRam.

I'm honestly looking for most clients per dollar, and nothing more. I don't care how old the stuff is, I don't care how cheap/expensive it is. Obviously if I wait until the 64core threadripper comes out I could easily double my number of clients, but RAM is still a bottleneck. Sorry for the rant/TMI, just don't want to confuse anyone about what I'm trying to do.

So I don't need a build persay, just an idea of what is still readily available and cheap. Thanks in advance to any ideas people have!

You can get something like a poweredge r820 for $550-600 with 128GB DDR3 ECC and 32 cores, 64 threads (4 CPUs, each 8 core with hyperthreading). Idk about running GPUs in it but I ran games (not well, but some need the game to be open to run a server) on a really old quadro in an r420. You can configure the system to use system ram as shared graphics ram as well and DDR3 ECC is REALLY cheap (like $1/GB)

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

That's actually pretty reasonable price wise, considering my computer cost literally 6k 3 years ago, getting half that power for ~600 would be nice. There are a ton of miner cards that it looks like I'd be able to pick up to fill the graphics card dilemma too for about 100$ each. The cards basically need ~8Gb of VRam to be reasonable, not sure what AMD's crossfire does in terms of two cards VRam though, because Nvidia sucks with it.

• 1 year later...

I know this is old but google landed me here so its worth posting.

have you considered memory compression? if you have that much processing power you should be able to ramp up zswap considerably on linux (not sure about the windows answer but I know it implements memory compression). Also some m.2's should allow for reasonable swap although I have no idea what WoW multiboxing workload looks like or the responsiveness needed therein. If you're running all 70 applications on the OS (I think some people call it bare metal) you should consider virtualization (Virtualbox or something) for each client so they fail independently and can be restarted in software.