Front USB 3.0 not working, others work fine. Mobo or Case problem?

I recently built my new PC and it works great, but I noticed that the front USB 3.0 port won't recognize my External Drive (connected via its USB 3.0 cable) or even charge my phone, which works in the rear 3.0 ports and the neighboring 2.0 ports. How do I fix this?

1 hour ago, Grayxol said:

I recently built my new PC and it works great, but I noticed that the front USB 3.0 port won't recognize my External Drive (connected via its USB 3.0 cable) or even charge my phone, which works in the rear 3.0 ports and the neighboring 2.0 ports. How do I fix this?

Is the USB 3 Header connected to you case? If so, have you checked to make sure you inserted it properly? Reinserting it may do it justice. USB 3 Ports don't use USB 2 Headers on the motherboard, they have separate headers on the motherboard for faster data transfer speeds. You may want to check that. Your motherboard might not even support USB 3 if it's old enough. 

My Rig: 

CPU: Intel i5 2500k 4 Cores, 4 Threads @ 4.5ghz ( asus uefi regulates BIOS and adjusts it, there is no manual option, so I can't get any higher than 4.5, but I theoretically should be able to get higher once I get a voltage "changeable" mobo

MOBO: Asus P8Z68 LE

RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator 2133mhz ddr3 2x8 16GB

GPU: GTX 980 TI 150+ core, 100-150 ( I forgot )+ mem ( OC ) 

HDD: 500GB 3D MLC Samsung SSD ( soon ) + 2tb 7200rpm Seagate Constellation ES.2 SAS / LSI MegaRaid MR Raid/SAS Controller

CASE: Phanteks P350X

PERIPHERALS: IBM Model M 1984, Logitech G703 Mouse, Logitech G502 Mouse, Philips SHP9500 w/ V-Moda Boom Pro hooked up to my Sony AMP ( forgot model name, to lazy to find out ) 

Laptop: Gateway P-7805u FX 

CPU: 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2c/2t

RAM: 8GB DDR2 1066mhz sodimm 

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTS

HDD: 320GB 7200rpm hard drive 2.5"

SSD: Kingston A400 250GB SSD

SCREEN: Glossy 16:9 1440x900

PERIPHERALSLogitech G Pro

2 minutes ago, MS-DOS Guy said:

Is the USB 3 Header connected to you case? If so, have you checked to make sure you inserted it properly? Reinserting it may do it justice. USB 3 Ports don't use USB 2 Headers on the motherboard, they have separate headers on the motherboard for faster data transfer speeds. You may want to check that. Your motherboard might not even support USB 3 if it's old enough. 

My motherboard is a B450 Tomahawk Max, and the cable is properly connected to the header. 

Are all usb controllers properly detected in Device Manager? Did you install the chipset drivers and/or potentially third party usb controller drivers?

Double check that you inserted the connector properly in the header

Double check the bios and make sure all usb controllers are enabled in the bios.

If all above doesn't solve, maybe check the cable and make sure it actually plugs properly at the top of the case into the board having the usb connectors.

6 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Are all usb controllers properly detected in Device Manager? Did you install the chipset drivers and/or potentially third party usb controller drivers?

Double check that you inserted the connector properly in the header

Double check the bios and make sure all usb controllers are enabled in the bios.

If all above doesn't solve, maybe check the cable and make sure it actually plugs properly at the top of the case into the board having the usb connectors.

what does the front 3.0 port look like in Device Manager?

It looks like any usb controller... is there something with question mark or x in the usb controllers category?

What case do you even have? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Grayxol said:

What's the make and model of the case? What is the USB cable connected to inside the system? If you move the USB 2.0 headers over to the 3.0 header on your board (yes, you can do this, but check the pinout in the mobo manual to be safe and line things up) do the 2.0 ports work? What does device manager see?

For what you should see, it's some form of USB 3.0 controller, based off whatever your board it. As an example, my Asus Prime Z390-A is an Intel USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller for my 3.1 Gen 1, and Gen 2 stuff, then the Nvidia 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller because I have an RTX 2070 which has a USB-C port. You may see yours coming from the AMB B450 chipset.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

On 12/3/2019 at 1:07 PM, SlayerOfHellWyrm said:

What's the make and model of the case? What is the USB cable connected to inside the system? If you move the USB 2.0 headers over to the 3.0 header on your board (yes, you can do this, but check the pinout in the mobo manual to be safe and line things up) do the 2.0 ports work? What does device manager see?

For what you should see, it's some form of USB 3.0 controller, based off whatever your board it. As an example, my Asus Prime Z390-A is an Intel USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller for my 3.1 Gen 1, and Gen 2 stuff, then the Nvidia 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller because I have an RTX 2070 which has a USB-C port. You may see yours coming from the AMB B450 chipset.

Nvm I decided to live with it. It still has usable 2.0 front ports and I only ever use 1 front usb port at a time. but thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2019 at 7:01 AM, Grayxol said:

Nvm I decided to live with it. It still has usable 2.0 front ports and I only ever use 1 front usb port at a time. but thanks.

My Rig: 

CPU: Intel i5 2500k 4 Cores, 4 Threads @ 4.5ghz ( asus uefi regulates BIOS and adjusts it, there is no manual option, so I can't get any higher than 4.5, but I theoretically should be able to get higher once I get a voltage "changeable" mobo

MOBO: Asus P8Z68 LE

RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator 2133mhz ddr3 2x8 16GB

GPU: GTX 980 TI 150+ core, 100-150 ( I forgot )+ mem ( OC ) 

HDD: 500GB 3D MLC Samsung SSD ( soon ) + 2tb 7200rpm Seagate Constellation ES.2 SAS / LSI MegaRaid MR Raid/SAS Controller

CASE: Phanteks P350X

PERIPHERALS: IBM Model M 1984, Logitech G703 Mouse, Logitech G502 Mouse, Philips SHP9500 w/ V-Moda Boom Pro hooked up to my Sony AMP ( forgot model name, to lazy to find out ) 

Laptop: Gateway P-7805u FX 

CPU: 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2c/2t

RAM: 8GB DDR2 1066mhz sodimm 

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9800M GTS

HDD: 320GB 7200rpm hard drive 2.5"

SSD: Kingston A400 250GB SSD

SCREEN: Glossy 16:9 1440x900

PERIPHERALSLogitech G Pro