Nvme SSD on 4th gen intel

Ryan Omahen

Does anyone know if I use a m.2 nvme ssd in a m.2nvme to pcie adapter will this work on a 4th gen intel system

edit: specs for this system 

motherboard:asrock b85m-gl (doesn't have m.2 slots)

cpu intel i5 4570

ram: 16gb ddr3

edit: i plan to use this as the only drive in the system, so t specify i need to know if its bootable

Yes, but there are also motherboards with M.2 slots that also work fine 

What is the intended purpose of the SSD?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

boards for 4th gen can be natively compatible with NVMe SSDs, but you're not giving remotely enough information here

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

25 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Yes, but there are also motherboards with M.2 slots that also work fine 

What is the intended purpose of the SSD?

specs for this system 

cpu intel i5 4570

i plan to use this as the only drive in the system, so t specify i need to know if its bootable

25 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

boards for 4th gen can be natively compatible with NVMe SSDs, but you're not giving remotely enough information here

specs for this system 

cpu intel i5 4570

i plan to use this as the only drive in the system, so t specify i need to know if its bootable

1 minute ago, Ryan Omahen said:

Don't bother with all the extra effort just for a boot drive, there's not even a speed benefit. Use a cheaper SATA SSD instead.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

Don't bother with all the extra effort just for a boot drive, there's not even a speed benefit. Use a cheaper SATA SSD instead.

The reason i'm considering it is a tiny system with little room so an nvme drive would be best, and i may have an extra nvme drive to use when i upgrade the one in my main pc

The reason i'm considering it is a tiny system with little room so an nvme drive would be best, and i may have an extra nvme drive to use when i upgrade the one in my main pc

Ok but using a PCIe slot defeats the purpose of an m.2 SSD being tiny so what's the point exactly?

Primary PC:

5 minutes ago, Ryan Omahen said:

specs for this system 

cpu intel i5 4570

maybe, cheaper boards may not be programmed (even if it's actually possible) to boot from PCIe storage. That said SATA SSD will do the same job with certainity, so no reason to risk it.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Omahen said:

have you even considered prices? You could also make 2.5" SATA SSDs smaller by removing their shell, though you'd have to make sure it doesnt touch anything that may cause a short afterwards.

Also I dont think an mATX case wont have space for a 2.5" drive

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Ok but using a PCIe slot defeats the purpose of an m.2 SSD being tiny so what's the point exactly?

just trust me on this using a pcie slot is better that using velcro to attach a regular ssd somewhere else in the case since the way i have the system there is no drive bay or anything like that, also i want to avoid using extra wires in the tiny case

just trust me on this using a pcie slot is better that using velcro to attach a regular ssd somewhere else in the case since the way i have the system there is no drive bay or anything like that, also i want to avoid using extra wires in the tiny case

will this system have a graphics card?

Primary PC:

3 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

maybe, cheaper boards may not be programmed (even if it's actually possible) to boot from PCIe storage. That said SATA SSD will do the same job with certainity, so no reason to risk it.

have you even considered prices? You could also make 2.5" SATA SSDs smaller by removing their shell, though you'd have to make sure it doesnt touch anything that may cause a short afterwards.

Also I dont think an mATX case wont have space for a 2.5" drive

i actually modded the case, its an enermax steelwing case, and i cut out the spot where a 2.5" ssd would mount because i was originally planning on putting a custom watercooled loop in it and needed space for the rad, but i changed plans and now am gonna use it for this pc

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

will this system have a graphics card?

no, not gonna be a gaming pc

• 2 months later...
On 12/2/2019 at 9:25 PM, Fasauceome said:

How come an NVME Drive on a PCIe Slot is same speed as a Sata SSD?

23 minutes ago, SPCQC said:

How come an NVME Drive on a PCIe Slot is same speed as a Sata SSD?

NVMe drives only flex their muscles when huge files are being handled. Little things like windows, Google chrome, and the vast majority of games see absolutely no benefit from NVMe, and in the games that do see benefit, it's a second or two on a loading screen maybe.

Not to mention, not all NVMe drives are created equal, and judging price to performance can be difficult especially at the budget end 

Primary PC:

On 2/20/2020 at 5:57 PM, Fasauceome said:

NVMe drives only flex their muscles when huge files are being handled. Little things like windows, Google chrome, and the vast majority of games see absolutely no benefit from NVMe, and in the games that do see benefit, it's a second or two on a loading screen maybe.

Not to mention, not all NVMe drives are created equal, and judging price to performance can be difficult especially at the budget end 

Thanks!

• 2 years later...

You can use an NVME drive via the PCI-E reduction, no idea if your board natively supports it, but you can always modify the bios, it is not that difficult, but there is a possibility you might brick your MOBO - check this Win-Raid forum: https://www.win-raid.com/t871f50-HowTo-Get-full-NVMe-support-for-all-Systems-with-an-AMI-UEFI-BIOS.html

Best regards. :)