using router to redirect traffic?

evo85210

I'm wondering if it's possible to connect my home desktop to my work router and have the desktop act as if it's a local computer on the work network (like a vpn?)
I've seen methods of remote desktop, but I don't have a computer at work that's on 24/7.

and I've seen port forwarding, but one port only forwards to one IP.

I'm asking because there's a lot of internal databases that I can only query if i'm on the local network.

Sometimes I'm working overtime at home on a tight deadline, and if I need to double check some info, I'd have to wait until the office is open at 8 am, which is a huge waste of time when i'm on a tight deadline.

and yes, i've asked the IT department, they said it's ok, but won't do it for me.

I know this is all possible if i have a PC running 24/7, but is it possible without a always on PC, and just change some configurations on the router?

12 minutes ago, evo85210 said:

I'm wondering if it's possible to connect my home desktop to my work router and have the desktop act as if it's a local computer on the work network (like a vpn?)
I've seen methods of remote desktop, but I don't have a computer at work that's on 24/7.

and I've seen port forwarding, but one port only forwards to one IP.

I'm asking because there's a lot of internal databases that I can only query if i'm on the local network.

Sometimes I'm working overtime at home on a tight deadline, and if I need to double check some info, I'd have to wait until the office is open at 8 am, which is a huge waste of time when i'm on a tight deadline.

and yes, i've asked the IT department, they said it's ok, but won't do it for me.

I know this is all possible if i have a PC running 24/7, but is it possible without a always on PC, and just change some configurations on the router?

Why don't you ask IT department for VPN access to the network?

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's

Just now, ddennis002 said:

Why don't you ask IT department for VPN access to the network?

The IT department didn't set up a VPN, and they're not exactly willing to do things other than maintaining network stability

VPN is really the best way. 

If you had a computer running 24/7, absolutely do not open up ports to allow RDP to it. If you're doing that, set up a VPN and actually have a secure connection rather than opening commonly attacked ports with insecure connections.

There are other ways to do it, such as having a server that runs a virtual desktop provider like Citrix and have it accessible from the outside of the network, but unless you already have a way of doing it (which you don't), a VPN should be what you go for to minimise the impact on security. 

7 minutes ago, evo85210 said:

The IT department didn't set up a VPN, and they're not exactly willing to do things other than maintaining network stability

You just need network access to some network shares then you don't really need a windows interface on that network right?

If so get yourself a raspberry pi configure it with openvpn server. Have the IT department Port forward port 1194 to the PI's IP address.

Then all you have to do is configure your client OpenVPN side at home and connect and you will have access to the network.

http://kamilslab.com/2017/01/22/how-to-turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-a-home-vpn-server-using-pivpn/

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's

On 12/2/2019 at 1:58 AM, ddennis002 said:

You just need network access to some network shares then you don't really need a windows interface on that network right?

If so get yourself a raspberry pi configure it with openvpn server. Have the IT department Port forward port 1194 to the PI's IP address.

Then all you have to do is configure your client OpenVPN side at home and connect and you will have access to the network.

http://kamilslab.com/2017/01/22/how-to-turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-a-home-vpn-server-using-pivpn/

Just like the tutorial, I recommend not using the default port so that the vpn server doesn't show up on websites that scan ips like shodan.io