Is Fractal Design Celsius S36 future proof?

2bacco

How future proof is the Fractal Design Celsius S36 for CPU's that will be released the coming years?

Certainly not infinite.  Nothing is.

The trend has been for CPUs to have lower total heat output rather than higher total heat output, so they probably won’t get hotter unless the dies get a lot larger.  It’s designed to go on a standard motherboard and attach to a standard case, using the attachment points it is designed to use.  There is talk of cases and motherboard fundamentally changing in the future, but I suspect the motherboard attachment point thing is the weakest bit.  Manufacturers like to change their attachment points occasionally.  That’s why older coolers have so many different little kits to attach them to different motherboards.  It becomes a question of Will a kit become available to attach it to the next motherboard with a different attachment setup.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

it is just as future "proof" as any other case, since a case cant really even do anything to "future proof" the product.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Certainly not infinite.  Nothing is.

The trend has been for CPUs to have lower total heat output rather than higher total heat output, so they probably won’t get hotter unless the dies get a lot larger.  It’s designed to go on a standard motherboard and attach to a standard case, using the attachment points it is designed to use.  There is talk of cases and motherboard fundamentally changing in the future, but I suspect the motherboard attachment point thing is the weakest bit.  Manufacturers like to change their attachment points occasionally.  That’s why older coolers have so many different little kits to attach them to different motherboards.  It becomes a question of Will a kit become available to attach it to the next motherboard with a different attachment setup.

So there is definitely a chance that it won't fit whatever new CPU that will drop in 2+/- years, or should I most likely be safe with the S36? I'm considering upgrading my case, fans and water cooling unit, and for the S36 to last longer than my 4770k would be great for future proofing my upgrade.

9 minutes ago, manikyath said:

it is just as future "proof" as any other case, since a case cant really even do anything to "future proof" the product.

I thought it was a case too from the name but it seems it’s an AIO water cooler.  At least that’s what google told me.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, 2bacco said:

So there is definitely a chance that it won't fit whatever new CPU that will drop in 2+/- years, or should I most likely be safe with the S36? I'm considering upgrading my case, fans and water cooling unit, and for the S36 to last longer than my 4770k would be great for future proofing my upgrade.

The issue is motherboard designs last only so long, and whether a manufacturer uses a given attachment method is a choice only for them.  AM4 is only promised till 2020, and intel has changed sockets several times.  AM4 is not square, but rectangular.  It also has a hook system as well as holes.  I have literally no idea whether mounting systems will change radically or not.  It’s not my choice.

16 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I thought it was a case too from the name but it seems it’s an AIO water cooler.  At least that’s what google told me.

derp.. i just tend to forget fractal actually makes something else than cases :D

-----

yeah.. on that note.. cooler wise, there's no way to tell.

intel's been on the same mounting solution for like 10-something years, but there's no way to tell if they'll keep doing it for 10 more, or will switch next year.

also, same answer basicly applies.. no way they can prepare for a potential change of mounting system, and no guarantee they actually will change mounting system.