Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
trev.m26

Newly Built PC Not Displaying on Monitor

Turns out, the motherboard we had wasn't compatible with the Ryzen 5 2600 and one of his RAM sticks had gone dead somewhere in the transfer. Got him a new motherboard and new RAM and it works flawlessly.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

My younger brother got new PC parts for his birthday and I spent the day putting it together. He got a new processor and a new case, most of the other parts are from his previous build.

 

Currently, he has a-

- Ryzen 5 2600

- Radeon RX 480

- Biostar b350gt5 motherboard

- 8GBx2 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2400

-EVGA 500W power supply. not sure what rating it is

- CoolerMaster MasterLiquid LC240E RGB water cooler

- 1TB Hybrid SSHD

- NZXT H510i case

 

The problem right now is that the computer turns on. Fans spin, hard drive spins, graphics card spins, but nothing displays on the monitor. Plugging the HDMI cable into the graphics card does make the screen wake up, but it says No Signal and shuts back off.

 

We've already tried-

- Putting the old processor back in to see if the new one was a defect

- Put a different graphics card in to see if the RX 480 somehow got messed up while building

- Reconnecting all of the cables

- Put one RAM stick in every slot and see if it booted, did the same with the other RAM stick.

- Made sure all of the connections were all the way in

- Cleared the CMOS

 

The only thing I haven't tried is updating the BIOS, but I don't think that's the problem because if it was, then his old processor would've worked when we put it back in but it didn't. Our current theory is that something went wrong with the motherboard or hard drive in the transfer.

 

I'm very new to PC building, I built my first one after getting a new case and upgraded parts, just like my brother did now but he wanted me to build it for him so I did. I'm not really sure where to go from here so any advice would be appreciated.

 

EDIT: There was a light on the motherboard hidden behind the graphics card that was showing red. My dad looked it up and said it had something to do with the power but I'm not sure how true this is

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

B350 boards need to have their bios updated for the 2xxx series RyZen cpus.

 

That doesn't explain why the old processor didn't work when we put it back in

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, trev.m26 said:

EDIT: There was a light on the motherboard hidden behind the graphics card that was showing red. My dad looked it up and said it had something to do with the power but I'm not sure how true this is

I'd assume its an issue with the gpu itself, but if a different gpu didn't help, we can probably rule that out.

how old is the power supply? 500w is plenty for this build, but sometimes capacitors die on older psu's, and they can't deliver enough power.

 

did you try all your troubleshooting steps with the old cpu installed? if not, I'd try again with the old cpu (main focus being the different gpu)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Derrk said:

I'd assume its an issue with the gpu itself, but if a different gpu didn't help, we can probably rule that out.

how old is the power supply? 500w is plenty for this build, but sometimes capacitors die on older psu's, and they can't deliver enough power.

 

did you try all your troubleshooting steps with the old cpu installed? if not, I'd try again with the old cpu (main focus being the different gpu)

The power supply isn't that old, I think he got it last Christmas. I'm pretty sure we tried most of the trouble shooting steps with the old CPU installed. I don't think we messed with the RAM but we did switch GPUs. Didn't clear CMOS with old CPU in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, trev.m26 said:

The power supply isn't that old, I think he got it last Christmas. I'm pretty sure we tried most of the trouble shooting steps with the old CPU installed. I don't think we messed with the RAM but we did switch GPUs. Didn't clear CMOS with old CPU in.

i cant think of much else to try since the only new component is the cpu. I'd guess there might be a cable somewhere you missed to install, but i dont know. 

does the computer shut off by itself after you turn it on?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Derrk said:

i cant think of much else to try since the only new component is the cpu. I'd guess there might be a cable somewhere you missed to install, but i dont know. 

does the computer shut off by itself after you turn it on?

No, the only weird thing I've noticed is that the power button doesn't shut the computer off after all the troubleshooting, but before it did.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, trev.m26 said:

No, the only weird thing I've noticed is that the power button doesn't shut the computer off after all the troubleshooting, but before it did.

perhaps when you reconnected cables you mixed up some of the front I/O connections? those always frustrate me when i build

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Not sure if it’s allowed but I’m bumping this in hopes of finding a solution before we go out and buy new stuff. We’re in the middle of moving right now so the computer is all packed up, but once we can I think we’re going to try to update the BIOS and see if that works.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP · Best Answer

Turns out, the motherboard we had wasn't compatible with the Ryzen 5 2600 and one of his RAM sticks had gone dead somewhere in the transfer. Got him a new motherboard and new RAM and it works flawlessly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×