GTX 750 or RX 460 - Bottleneck Issues

Thaddeaus

I have a Xeon X5450 and the GPUs that I can easily buy are GTX 750(not ti) and RX 460. The GTX 750 have less to no bottleneck caused by the X5450 compared to RX 460. Does that mean that if I buy RX 460, it will perform like a GTX 750 because it is bottlenecked by the CPU, so, I should buy the GTX 750? Please help. Thanks

1 minute ago, Thaddeaus said:

The GTX 750 have less to no bottleneck caused by the X5450 compared to RX 460

how did you come by this information?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

how did you come by this information?

Sorry, I forgot to mention the bottleneck calculator online. 

Xeon X5450 is a 4 core, non hyperthreaded Harpertown (Yorkfield) which is around the Core 2 Quad era of consumer processors, and is clocked at 3ghz.

I do not believe that it is overclockable, and I also believe that no matter what GPU you pair this with, the performance is going to be pretty bad, and neither one will be fully utilized.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

4 minutes ago, Thaddeaus said:

Sorry, I forgot to mention the bottleneck calculator online. 

unfortunately that tool is rather useless, it does not share reliable information.

As for GPU choice in this case, I think it matters little. You should go with the RX 460 if you plan on using it down the line for a future upgrade, however the real problem is that the X5450 uses a motherboard that has no good upgrade path, so if you haven't built this already you should reconsider the CPU choice. The best upgrade possible for a motherboard like that is a Xeon X5492 which is pretty terrible by today's standards.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

unfortunately that tool is rather useless, it does not share reliable information.

As for GPU choice in this case, I think it matters little. You should go with the RX 460 if you plan on using it down the line for a future upgrade, however the real problem is that the X5450 uses a motherboard that has no good upgrade path, so if you haven't built this already you should reconsider the CPU choice.

Thank you. I would consider the thought of future upgrade.

27 minutes ago, Thaddeaus said:

I have a Xeon X5450 and the GPUs that I can easily buy are GTX 750(not ti) and RX 460. The GTX 750 have less to no bottleneck caused by the X5450 compared to RX 460. Does that mean that if I buy RX 460, it will perform like a GTX 750 because it is bottlenecked by the CPU, so, I should buy the GTX 750? Please help. Thanks

The RX 460 is a lot faster

that's not really how bottlenecking works

if your CPU is stuck at 30-60 fps in a given game, you can just turn up your GPU settings so the game still looks better on the RX 460.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

The RX 460 is a lot faster

that's not really how bottlenecking works

if your CPU is stuck at 30-60 fps in a given game, you can just turn up your GPU settings so the game still looks better on the RX 460.

Correct.  Just crank SSAA or something similar, instantly GPU bottlenecked again.

Get the best GPU you can afford in your budget, the CPU/MB should be upgraded soonish though.  2nd gen i7 + H61 board will get you a platform that can push up to a 1060 without much struggle.

18 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Correct.  Just crank SSAA or something similar, instantly GPU bottlenecked again.

Get the best GPU you can afford in your budget, the CPU/MB should be upgraded soonish though.  2nd gen i7 + H61 board will get you a platform that can push up to a 1060 without much struggle.

an overclocked i7 2600K should be able to do 60-100hz without an issue.

But I'd probably just go for a really cheap R5 1600 or R5 2600

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

an overclocked i7 2600K should be able to do 60-100hz without an issue.

But I'd probably just go for a really cheap R5 1600 or R5 2600

I have such a setup, it struggles with keeping GPU usage up on an RX 470 on some games, in some cases only pushing 30-60 FPS.

R5-1600 has issues with the same games due to it being roughly the same on a per core basis.  It has better per clock performance, but lower clocks.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

I have such a setup, it struggles with keeping GPU usage up on an RX 470 on some games, in some cases only pushing 30-60 FPS.

R5-1600 has issues with the same games due to it being roughly the same on a per core basis.  It has better per clock performance, but lower clocks.

What games is it having issues with?

Spoiler

Mechwarrior Online, Elite: Dangerous in some environments with ultra details, Elder Scrolls Online, etc.  Mostly games from the horrid days of multithreaded programming.

• 11 months later...
On 11/13/2019 at 7:16 PM, Thaddeaus said:

RX 570 4gig is your best option if you overclock your X5450 I run mine at 3.6 ghz runs fortnite at 75fps epic settings Forza is good for 60 FPS have also tried 750 and 1050 GTX TI cards the 570 is superior especially if you have a free sync monitor

IMG_20201023_104319881.jpg