Mixing 2 RAM Sizes

Hi everyone.

I currently have an Asus Z170-E Skylake Motherboard with 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz sticks. I've been wanting to upgrade my RAM for a while now, so I decided to purchase 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz sticks (currently waiting for the delivery).

The queston is will I be able to use all 4 sticks together for a total of 24GB? If so, will there be any drawbacks even though they have the same speeds? Or is my best bet to scrap the old ones and just use the new ones instead for 16GB? Thanks in advance.

I mean, in my old PC i had 2x 2gb sticks, and 1 4gb stick. But this was DDR3. I'm really not quite sure. But aslong as its the same speed; it should work (probably¿)

Any RAM config should work, but if you want dual channel both channels need to be symmetrical. The laptop I'm typing this on has two different RAM sticks in it, but since the spec of them both is similar it's running in dual channel. This should be right for any gen DDR memory.

Your computer will run fine with 24GB of RAM, but it might not be in dual channel for best performance. If you need all that RAM go with 24gb, if you're just gaming go with 16gb for guaranteed dual channel.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

Thanks for the answers, I'll keep you updated once it arrives.

Haven't had any issues so far, seems to be running at the right speeds!