RGB fan not working! HEEELP

arvid_haland

Hi, i recently bought a RGB fan from Fractal Design (prisma al-12), but its not working! The fan is spinning and all, but there is no lights! I have plugged the connector into the D_LED2 on my Z390 Aorus Pro.

Have i plugged it in wrong? Do i need an RGB controller?

If anyone could help me i would be so glad :D Thanks

2E5B6383-1850-48B3-8209-C603B2260248.thumb.jpeg.4fecf2626c3c46beb2e92ce282e62457.jpeg

7BB66BF5-2E22-442F-A3EA-38E7A18DDCFA.thumb.jpeg.226049715e6186ab892bc350630f5f58.jpeg

Have you made sure to install the motherboard's RGB drivers and software, and have you checked the software to make sure it's trying to turn the lights on?

Question is, if your RGB header is adressable, and if the fan has adressable LEDs. I had the same problem with my fans, until I figured out that my MoBo had an adressable header, and my fans weren't adressable. Bought a Coolermaster RGB controller, and everything has worked flawlessly ever since. So look at how many pins the header has, how many the fan RGB header has, if they are both 3 or 4-pins, it has to do with the software. Update all the drivers, and maybe re-isntall the software.

I love Small Form factor ITX rigs.

1 hour ago, VIVO-US said:

Have you made sure to install the motherboard's RGB drivers and software, and have you checked the software to make sure it's trying to turn the lights on?

It says that it supports RGB fusion, but i got the RGB fusion 2.0. Should I uninstall it and download the RGB fusion 1?

18 hours ago, fredih said:

Question is, if your RGB header is adressable, and if the fan has adressable LEDs. I had the same problem with my fans, until I figured out that my MoBo had an adressable header, and my fans weren't adressable. Bought a Coolermaster RGB controller, and everything has worked flawlessly ever since. So look at how many pins the header has, how many the fan RGB header has, if they are both 3 or 4-pins, it has to do with the software. Update all the drivers, and maybe re-isntall the software.

It says that it supports RGB fusion, but i got the RGB fusion 2.0. Should I uninstall it and download the RGB fusion 1?

On 11/12/2019 at 9:16 AM, arvid_haland said:

You can try that. Maybe the two versions are just not compatible at all (which would suck) but keep trying!

I love Small Form factor ITX rigs.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm having the same issue, pretty much tried everything with no success. I bought a 3-pack Fractal Design RGB fan, installed a first one and hooked that up into my motherboard ARGB connector. This is a 3-pin connector, I checked, double checked and checked again that my pins are aligned. Besides the connector, there is the 4-pins RGB connector, I verified there are four pins right to the connected ARGB connector. I also tried hooking a second fan in place of the first one, to no avail. I cannot believe 2 of the 3 fans of the pack are broken.

I installed Armouny Crate (the replacement for the AURA Sync software), it detects the fan as a LED strip, but doesn't light it up.

If it requires a controller, why isn't that included with the case? Why did that Fractal Design Define 7 case has a transparent glass panel if there is no builtin option to put LEDs in it?

Seems this RGB stuff is highly non-standard and relies on controllers, specific case components and drivers. I'm quite disappointed, because having a transparent side panel is quite of pointless if no LED can shine into the case. Maybe I can get old-style static lighting, but that will probably take a Molex connector and I did another mistake: take a modular PSU. If I want Molex connectors, I need to plug in a cable with four of them and I will have no extra SATA connectors.

Or maybe there are fans that would power the RGB LEDs through the 12V it already receives? If the LEDs cannot be software-controlled, better get them light up through the existing 12V rather than having yet another connector.