Fresh windows install, keep partition?

Hi there, 

I'm about to start a new build and I have a couple of questions regarding keeping my old data. I currently have a PC with my windows and other programs installed on an SSD and I use another internal HDD for storage of all my windows libraries documents, music, downloads etc. 

I'm going to be buliding a new PC shortly that has a new SSD which I again want to use for my OS and all my programs. However I'd like to re-use my old HDD as is and keep it in my system with all the data and windows libraries. 

What is the best way of doing this? I've never actually done a fresh install of windows on a brand new PC so I'm not to familiair with the process. Other than downloading the media tool to a USB drive. 

Is there an option during the installation process to tell my new windows install to use the partition on the excisting HDD, does the windows install recognise partitions with excisting windows libraries? Or should I simply install windows on the new SSD and deal with the HDD afterwards? And if so, what is the best way of doing so?

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to this so I'm not even sure if I'm asking the right questions to be honest. 

I'd love some advice if anyone has any. 

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id install windows without your old drives plugged in, then plug the old drves in and the old data should be there.

Id make a backup of the old system first aswell.

Thanks! However won't I have a double windows library structure? How do I tell windows to keep using the libraries on my old hard drive?

Just now, CyclonicTuna said:

Thanks! However won't I have a double windows library structure? How do I tell windows to keep using the libraries on my old hard drive?

When you boot from the new ssd it will only use the windows files from that drive. You can delete the windows files from the old hdd if you want later.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

When you boot from the new ssd it will only use the windows files from that drive. You can delete the windows files from the old hdd if you want later.

I think you misunderstood. I don't want to delete the files from the old drive at all. I want to keep it as is and start using it in my new system with all the data on it. It. 

I assume windows will make new files on my new SSD, but I don't need or want them, and I don't want to use a new library. I want to keep using my old one on my old HDD. 

6 minutes ago, CyclonicTuna said:

I think you misunderstood. I don't want to delete the files from the old drive at all. I want to keep it as is and start using it in my new system with all the data on it. It. 

I assume windows will make new files on my new SSD, but I don't need or want them, and I don't want to use a new library. I want to keep using my old one on my old HDD. 

so you want to keep the user profile?

Id just do a fresh install then copy all files from your old user profile to the new one after the install.

I was talking about deleting the windows files on the old drive, you won't need those anymore

Once Win10 is installed open your User folder and for each library ( Music, My Documents, Pictures, Video etc) right click the folder > properties > Location tab and change the path to the location on your HDD.

Guide here

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-move-default-user-folders-new-drive-windows-10

If you want the entire User folder stored on HDD then you need to registery tweaks

https://www.top-password.com/blog/move-the-entire-user-profiles-to-another-drive-in-windows/

Thank you guys! This will surely help out a lot. If all goes well I start building tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again! ?