10 GbE network issues - help greatly appreciated

wizzackr

Hi guys, so here is the setup:

There are ten workstations here (lenovo p700 with older dual 14core xeons, 64gb ram), each with a Sun Sual Port 10GbE PCIe 2.0 Adapter, Base-T (which we got for cheap on ebay). All the NICs have their drivers installed.

All cabling is rated CAT7 (https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07W7TFN3C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), none of the cables is longer than 15m. The switch in use is the Netgear ProSafe XS716-T with 16 ports, all ports' LEDs show 10GbE connectivity with the exception of the 1GbE cable that comes from the router/DHCP.

Now all fine and dandy BUT I cannot get any file to transfer across the network (tested from a NAS with 10 Exos X10s in RAID 10 to a local SSD) with speeds exceeding 2Gbit/s. ...kinda underwhelming and I am at a loss here with regards to what to check.

I ran iPerf3 between four machines (2x two connections tested ) to check if the network or the discs were the culprit and it seems to be the network: All connections max out at around 2Gbit/s.

I triple checkd the NIC settings and in the switch there really is not much to get wrong... or is there? Man, I am going nuts here, so any help is greatly appreciated, guys!

Are you sure its reading Gigabit and not Gigabyte? Windows usually displays file transfers in Bytes, not bits. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

10 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Are you sure its reading Gigabit and not Gigabyte? Windows usually displays file transfers in Bytes, not bits. 

2GB would be 16Gbit and would be well above what a 10Gbit adapter could do.

They can't be load balancing since it's single source to single destination as well (if I read correctly) so it will hash to a single port.

My suggestion is to check if jumbo frames are enabled, VMQ is disabled, and look for other settings to tweak.

Edit:

image.png.04fab0c57d59e2975570e00966ae9f73.png

This is on a Solarflare adapter but I suspect you'll have similar settings.

If you see any of the bottom 3 settings "VMQ" or "Virtual Machine Queues" make sure they are disabled.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Also check what pci-e slot you plugged those cards into, though I doubt that's an issue.

You have some ports that are pci-e x8 and some that are pci-e x4

See ThinkStation.indd - P700.pdf

Slot 1: PCIe 3.0 x16, Half length, full height, by CPU2

Slot 2: PCIe 3.0 x16, Full length, full height, by CPU1

Slot 3: PCIe 3.0 x8, Full length, full height, by CPU2

Slot 4: PCIe 3.0 x16, Full length, full height, by CPU1

Slot 5: PCI,Full length, full height, by PCH

Slot 6: PCIe 2.0 x4, Half length, full height, by PCH

I think it would be better to be in a slot belonging to CPU1 so slot 2 or 4

Maybe buy an intel x520-T2 from eBay and see if you get better results with it. You can find them from around 60$ and up. Here's one with more than 10 available : link

24 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Also check what pci-e slot you plugged those cards into, though I doubt that's an issue.

You have some ports that are pci-e x8 and some that are pci-e x4

See ThinkStation.indd - P700.pdf

Slot 1: PCIe 3.0 x16, Half length, full height, by CPU2

Slot 2: PCIe 3.0 x16, Full length, full height, by CPU1

Slot 3: PCIe 3.0 x8, Full length, full height, by CPU2

Slot 4: PCIe 3.0 x16, Full length, full height, by CPU1

Slot 5: PCI,Full length, full height, by PCH

Slot 6: PCIe 2.0 x4, Half length, full height, by PCH

I think it would be better to be in a slot belonging to CPU1 so slot 2 or 4

Maybe buy an intel x520-T2 from eBay and see if you get better results with it. You can find them from around 60$ and up. Here's one with more than 10 available : link

Thanks for the help, guys!!

Re slots: Will try swapping the slot - they are currently in Slot 3. Man, that would be one hell of a drop in throughput for a x8 slot on CPU2, though?

With regards to the "Virtual Machine Queues" I do not have any of those settings on the NICs.

...and man, I wish I had 2 GB/s going here ;)

a yeah, would also be willing to try the Intel cards, but that additional cash for essentially debugging is annoying me...

Could it be the cables even though the switch reports the connection to be 10GbE?

I did run ntttcp tests and it shows pretty much the same result: I hit a cap at pretty much close to 2Gbit/s. I also checked Get-NetAdapterHardwareInfo to make sure I did not mess up the PCIe slot I put the NIC into, but the info there seems fine as well: Slot04 is where the NIC sits and it is reported as 5.0 GT/s with a PCIeLinkWidth of 8 (see attached)

What is odd though is that I copied a test file from the NAS to the local SSD and it again capped at 2Gbit/s. When I copied it BACK to the NAS, however, it reached transfer speeds of 540MB/s - about what I would expect when writing to a six disc RAID10 array, right? In that case I can also cancel my new cable order, as the cables seem to work fine...?

I also checked and re-installed the Intel network driver for the X540-T2 and disabled jumbo-frames on the NAS, switch and NICs to isolate the problem.
Any other pointers?

Untitled-1.jpg

Ok, here are the latest findings. When running iperf3 on multiple threads and a fixed window size (iperf3 -c 192.168.0.139 -w 640k -l 640k -P 4) I get a combined throughput of 8.9 Gbits/s, which I deem ok, right?

On a single thread it never goes beyond 2Gbits/s - which seems kinda odd? Copying files from within windows explorer from the NAS it tops out at bad 2Gbit/s - when copying TO it I reach 550MB/s, which is clearly where the disc performance limits any more throughput.

If I am not mistaken the successful iperf test rules out the switch, the cables and the NIC/drivers, right?
So it leaves me with the Synology NAS and windows or am I missing something.

Any ideas??