PC locking up at random

Hello all, I'm having some incredibly frustrating issues with my PC. For the last several weeks it will crash seemingly at random. After a few hours gaming, or only watching YouTube, or even doing literally nothing at the desktop. Sometimes it goes a few days with no issues, sometimes it crashes repeatedly. Its usually a complete lock-up. No response from anything, including the power button, and I am forced to flip the switch on the PSU. I've tried 3 different graphics cards, 2 sets of RAM, 2 PSUs, 2 motherboards, and 2 boot drives each with a fresh Win10 install. Both motherboards had the issue before and after updating everything there was to update from manufacturers. At this point the only things I have not tried is a new CPU and replacing my surge protector. Event Viewer shows no useful information. There are only normal "Information" entries showing no issues or errors until a sudden "Critical" from where I've had to hard reset. Temperatures are well within range when this happens. Highest temp was 67C on my CPU during the most recent crashes.

I'm truly at a loss here and figured I should check with the peeps here. Been a long time lurker, but never really posted. If anybody has any tips at all, let me know.

BTW current specs are
Ryzen 2700X
Asus TUF X570 Gaming wifi
EVGA 2070 Super Black Edition
Gigabyte B700H
G-Skill Trident Z RGB (2x8GB @ 3200Mhz)
Samsung 850 EVO M.2 500GB
ADATA SX6000NP NVMe M.2 500GB
WD Blue 1TB SSD 
EK Fluid Gaming kit (probs not relevant but just in case)
Be Quiet Dark Base 900 Pro

27 minutes ago, SmatchimoTheTrumpeteer said:

Hello all, I'm having some incredibly frustrating issues with my PC. For the last several weeks it will crash seemingly at random. After a few hours gaming, or only watching YouTube, or even doing literally nothing at the desktop. Sometimes it goes a few days with no issues, sometimes it crashes repeatedly. Its usually a complete lock-up. No response from anything, including the power button, and I am forced to flip the switch on the PSU. I've tried 3 different graphics cards, 2 sets of RAM, 2 PSUs, 2 motherboards, and 2 boot drives each with a fresh Win10 install. Both motherboards had the issue before and after updating everything there was to update from manufacturers. At this point the only things I have not tried is a new CPU and replacing my surge protector. Event Viewer shows no useful information. There are only normal "Information" entries showing no issues or errors until a sudden "Critical" from where I've had to hard reset. Temperatures are well within range when this happens. Highest temp was 67C on my CPU during the most recent crashes.

I'm truly at a loss here and figured I should check with the peeps here. Been a long time lurker, but never really posted. If anybody has any tips at all, let me know.

BTW current specs are
Ryzen 2700X
Asus TUF X570 Gaming wifi
EVGA 2070 Super Black Edition
Gigabyte B700H
G-Skill Trident Z RGB (2x8GB @ 3200Mhz)
Samsung 850 EVO M.2 500GB
ADATA SX6000NP NVMe M.2 500GB
WD Blue 1TB SSD 
EK Fluid Gaming kit (probs not relevant but just in case)
Be Quiet Dark Base 900 Pro

My best guess is that your CPU is failing. If it’s under warranty you should probably go ahead and send it in for a replacement. Small possibility it’s the PSU too but my money is on the CPU. 

9 hours ago, doomsriker said:

My best guess is that your CPU is failing. If it’s under warranty you should probably go ahead and send it in for a replacement. Small possibility it’s the PSU too but my money is on the CPU. 

Yeeaaaaa, I'm inclined to agree at this point. Just hoping somebody would know some black magic or voodoo to help me out. I don't have a backup CPU and I've not had good times with AMD service in the past. Thanks for the input!