Bent CPU_FAN header pin

Sharpman85

Hi All,

I have a question, I have received a new ROG Strix Z390-i motherboard, upon installing the be quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU cooler I noticed that one of the fan header has one of the center pins bent a few degrees (CPU_FAN), it was either the CPU FAN IN or CPU FAN PWR. I was able to plug in the fan I did not bend it back and it is currently working fine (I'm typing from this PC now). My question is whether it really is OK and whether one of those pins is used only for specific situations and can cause problems later on. I do not want to RMA the motherboard as so far it is working fine. As I do not have much experience with this I want to know what people with more knowledge think.

image.png.f79b69be8edb82a535f11c581297c93d.png

If you managed to plug it in and it works, it'll be fine. The connector should straighten it out enough that it's no problem. If you look real close on a fan connector, there's a small fillet on the plug to align a slightly bent pin if necessary.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

40 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

If you managed to plug it in and it works, it'll be fine. The connector should straighten it out enough that it's no problem. If you look real close on a fan connector, there's a small fillet on the plug to align a slightly bent pin if necessary.

When I unplugged it it was still bent, but if you say that it should be fine then should I try to straighten it out eventually or leave it as it is? If one of the pins did not work so would the fan, right?

40 minutes ago, Sharpman85 said:

When I unplugged it it was still bent, but if you say that it should be fine then should I try to straighten it out eventually or leave it as it is? If one of the pins did not work so would the fan, right?

It depends on which pin. they serve different functions. Chances are that it works fine if it fits in the hole. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

It depends on which pin. they serve different functions. Chances are that it works fine if it fits in the hole. 

It's the CPU FAN PWR or CPU FAN IN and I'm fairly certain it's the first one.

As long as it makes solid contact, it is fine.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

As long as it makes solid contact, it is fine.

I suppose it is making contact as the fan is working. Had one not been connected the fan would not work, right?

I imagine that my question seem stupid, but I want to b 100% sure that everything is fine and I do not need to RMA the motherboard.

17 minutes ago, Sharpman85 said:

I suppose it is making contact as the fan is working. Had one not been connected the fan would not work, right?

I imagine that my question seem stupid, but I want to b 100% sure that everything is fine and I do not need to RMA the motherboard.

RMA is still option if it fails to work later. But many PC components are fairly robust.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 hours ago, Sharpman85 said:

It's the CPU FAN PWR or CPU FAN IN and I'm fairly certain it's the first one.

I didn't meant the fan header. The pins have different functions. 
large?v=1.0&px=999

Depending on the fan, you may go without the 4th pin and just use variable voltage instead of pwm for control. The 3rd pin for rpm isn't usually necessary. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

I didn't meant the fan header. The pins have different functions. 
large?v=1.0&px=999

Depending on the fan, you may go without the 4th pin and just use variable voltage instead of pwm for control. The 3rd pin for rpm isn't usually necessary. 

I'm using the be quiet! Silent Wings 3 in PWM mode, the fan header schematics from my initial post was from the motherboard manual and from your schematics seems that it's the right one just mirrored so the positive 12V or the RPM (from fan) signal pin on the mobo side is bent. I've just seen an unboxing video of the same motherboard with the ground pin from the water pump bent so it seems to be a more common occurrence and maybe I should not be concerned about it after all since the CPU fan is working correctly and I a able to control it's speed also.

1 minute ago, Sharpman85 said:

I'm using the be quiet! Silent Wings 3 in PWM mode, the fan header schematics from my initial post was from the motherboard manual and from your schematics seems that it's the right one just mirrored so the positive 12V or the RPM (from fan) signal pin on the mobo side is bent. I've just seen an unboxing video of the same motherboard with the ground pin from the water pump bent so it seems to be a more common occurrence and maybe I should not be concerned about it after all since the CPU fan is working correctly and I a able to control it's speed also.

Ah, the diagram I linked doesn't show the keyed notches. 
4pin_connector_001.jpg

The side where the notch begins is the first in for ground. 

If you can read rpm, the 3rd pin is working. Being able to control the fan with pwm means the other 3pins are also working. 

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Ah, the diagram I linked doesn't show the keyed notches. 
4pin_connector_001.jpg

The side where the notch begins is the first in for ground. 

If you can read rpm, the 3rd pin is working. Being able to control the fan with pwm means the other 3pins are also working. 

Ok, so all four pins are working and there is nothing to worry about, do I understand correctly? It took a load of my mind and I can enjoy my new PC to the fullest :)

12 hours ago, Sharpman85 said:

Ok, so all four pins are working and there is nothing to worry about, do I understand correctly? It took a load of my mind and I can enjoy my new PC to the fullest :)

If you can control the fan with pwm and read rpm, yes.