Swaped cooler

Tottenstein
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
4 minutes ago, Tottenstein said:

thats the thing my temps are fine and i know the pump is running its just that sometimes even tho my system isnt maxed my computer just frezes for a cuple of secounds and then is fine again and it feels like i have worse performance then i should in some games 

Have you tried reseating the cooler? If it's unevenly mounted, it can cause those types of issues. Make sure to gradually and evenly the block in an X-pattern instead of one side before another. 

i changed cooler from a Cooler Master Hyper TX3I to a corsair h100i rgb platinum recently and ive been getting been getting lagspikes and ive noticed that my cpu doesn't wanna turbo as fast as it did before i cant figure out why it is doing this 

i have an i7 7700 with an rtx 2060 see my profile for more info

have you tried resetting the cooler and checking if you have tightened it down enough?

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

46 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

have you tried resetting the cooler and checking if you have tightened it down enough?

yeah that could be it but i dont know how hard to tighten it i tightened it firmly 

and if i would re seat it would i need to apply new thermal paste ? 

24 minutes ago, Tottenstein said:

yeah that could be it but i dont know how hard to tighten it i tightened it firmly 

and if i would re seat it would i need to apply new thermal paste ? 

Just crank it down.... quite hard...

and yes, use new thermal paste.... please tell me you didnt use the crap-tastic stuff that comes pre-applied? 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

22 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Just crank it down.... quite hard...

and yes, use new thermal paste.... please tell me you didnt use the crap-tastic stuff that comes pre-applied? 

ok but yeah i used that stuff that came on the cooler ( i have a small tube of thermal paste i could change to tho its from cooler master would that paste be good or would you recommend some other paste 

8 hours ago, Tottenstein said:

ok but yeah i used that stuff that came on the cooler ( i have a small tube of thermal paste i could change to tho its from cooler master would that paste be good or would you recommend some other paste 

I'd get something like NT-H1 myself

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 9/12/2019 at 6:06 PM, GOTSpectrum said:

The stock paste is fine. I'm not sure if they changed pastes since older versions but NT-H1 hasn't been shown to be dramatically better. 

https://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/corsair_hydro_series_h105_review,10.html

https://youtu.be/MXb-by1nGKc?t=252

What are your temps? Make sure the pump is running. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

22 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The stock paste is fine. I'm not sure if they changed pastes since older versions but NT-H1 hasn't been shown to be dramatically better. 

thats the thing my temps are fine and i know the pump is running its just that sometimes even tho my system isnt maxed my computer just frezes for a cuple of secounds and then is fine again and it feels like i have worse performance then i should in some games 

4 minutes ago, Tottenstein said:

Have you tried reseating the cooler? If it's unevenly mounted, it can cause those types of issues. Make sure to gradually and evenly the block in an X-pattern instead of one side before another. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

22 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

i have not done that but id need to buy new paste before im able to do that 

1 minute ago, Tottenstein said:

i have not done that but id need to buy new paste before im able to do that 

You can reseat the cooler without reapplying the paste as long as you don't touch or remove the paste. 

If temps are too high, you can always replace the paste later. Most of the time, there's little to no difference in performance. 

The H100i RGB Platinum is also pretty overkill for the 7700 and cooling should be ample even with a horrible thermal paste application.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The only reason I recommend NT-H1 is the fact it doesn't seem to set like some others pulling the chip out the socket...

But reading back the OP they have an intel chip do this is much less of a concern. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240