New laptop Stuttering in games

Eskimobear

So my asus GA502D arrived today. Booted up gears of war 5, and it runs pretty flawlessly on decent settings. However after around 5 minutes of play the fps drops down to 10 for 1-2 seconds then goes back up to 90-100.

Here's a video fo what it looks like 

https://streamable.com/oi45p

and heres the afterburner logs for this clip 

https://imgur.com/a/LvhxA6E

When the laptop isn't plugged into the charger, gears is capped at 30 FPS however there is no stuttering at all? 

Im not sure what to do at this point. 

Probably thermal or power throttling - use HWiNFO 64 and Ryzen Master to track it

Capping my fps at 60 seems to have fixed the issue, for now at least. So this is either thernal or power throttling i guess.

Undervolt which? The gpu or cpu. Or both? I've never had to do it before as never had an issue with my desktop and this is my first time using a laptop.

You can undervolt both.

However undervolting the CPU while overclocking the GPU will most likely yield the best results.

Undervolting any laptop CPU is always a good idea. It's a somewhat tedious process but well worth the while, as you can sometimes end up lowering your CPU temp by up to 10°C while also getting higher or more stable CPU clock speeds.

Guides are available all over the internet on how to do it, I would suggest starting with Intel XTU to find a stable undervolt and afterwards ditching it for throttlestop & setting up different profiles for different games and/or workloads, as well as battery use. (As TS allows for clock multiplier modification and simpler profile swaps)

Though you should still check first if your CPU actually hits it's thermal threshold and/or how much the clock speeds fluctuate and reference that with reviews of your device, just to rule out any possible hardware fault before starting to fiddle with undervolting.
HWinfo64, hwmonitor or msi afterburner are good programs for doing so.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

The main problem I have with "gaming" laptops these days is the cooling. 

I'm not really sure what games these companies think people are going to be playing on them because many Asus laptops overheat a lot I don't imagine having a 1060/1070 or whatever in one is a great idea. But hey, for some people they don't have issues.

I know how you feel as i joined the platform with a laptop too and i would suggest just raising it up slightly by putting a book under it or something as a ghetto attempt to make it better, worked like a charm for me - then i got a cooler. 

In the summer I've seen it reach a little over 90C if memory serves correctly. - i know..

I think the stuttering is something you have to deal with in a laptop unless you reduce settings or go further and undervolt as people have suggested but I don't know anything about that as I haven't really used a PC personally since 2014. Lowering settings for each game and getting that sweet spot where it's the right amount of quality and performance only for opening Geforce Experience and having it apply 'optimal settings' over what you spent so long perfecting is quite tedious (I didn't realise there was a revert button ?). 

I've went on quite a tangent there but yeah, for years I've kind of dealt with it and adjusted settings so I guess i'm used to it.