Pixel 3a (B&H / Google?) to replace Moto G4 Play (~1-14 days), or other <~$400? ; also want desktop OS / VMs on pocket device, TOTAL (incl ?) < $1K

PianoPlayer88Key

Hi....

I'm looking at replacing my Moto G4 Play with a Pixel 3a (prob. from B&H, or maybe Google store) in the next day or two (or couple weeks).  Or, should I go with something else?

I also posted about this in r/PickAnAndroidForMe, so if you want or need more details than what I post here, you can read it there.

Moto G4 has issues with low RAM, GPS not working,no more security updates, depleted battery, etc.

Pixel 3a looks like best compromise for me based on my preferences (listed in the other post).

I also considered Moto G7 Power, a few Nokia Android One phones, Galaxy A50/70, T-Mobile Revvlry+ (my carrier - I'm just east of San Diego, CA), or maybe (if stretching budget) Asus Zenfone 6, Galaxy S10e or OnePlus 6.

Previous phones were Moto G4 Play (Q2'17-now), LG G4 (Q2'16-Q2'17, bootloop but later fixed), Samsung SGH-T699 (Q2'13-Q2,16, then LG G4=$350; Still have it), T-Mobile G1 (Q4'08-Q2'13, screen/etc died, but outlasted ALL previous phones combined which were…) Moto Ming A1200, MPx220, V300, V188.

Another thing I'd REALLY like to be able to do is virtualization, true multitasking, arrangeable windows, etc, like a desktop OS.  Hooking up a phone to an external display does NOT count - it would need to be self-contained like the GPD Pocket / Win series of laptops.   Whether I get a phone and a pocket UMPC separately, or one device that does both, the maximum budget combined would be around $900-1000.

I'm planning to have this with me at TwitchCon (It's ~25 minutes from me this year, or maybe 30 minutes if ? are nearby and I can't go 75-80 mph which is a typical speed in San Diego, although I've seen them doing that plus without lights/siren, or more if I hit traffic), and I don't want to carry my full-size laptop (LGA 1151 socket, MXM GPU, etc) or backpack / carry case there.  (It makes the TwitchCon hugs quite awkward, based on my experience in 2016 having the laptop / backpack vs not having it at 2017 TwitchCon; I didn't go to TC in 2018.)

I'm in quite a few Discord servers, between about 4 accounts and counting.  (I've hit the 100-server-joined-per-account limit multiple times, and my spreadsheet I use to keep track tells me I'm not far from needing to create my 5th Discord account.)  Also I follow about 1540 streamers, and not even counting those who set their Discords to sub only, I'm still yet very far from joining everyone else's Discords.  (I'm sure I won't get that done before TC of course.)

Because Discord won't let me sign in to multiple accounts with the same app, I run multiple VMs on my laptop, each with Discord running and signed into a separate account.  (The basic VM settings are 100% of a single-thread of my i7-6700K, 20GB storage allocated, 2.75GB RAM allocated.)

Running Discord, and maybe some Chrome / Firefox tabs (including Google Drive, etc), maybe playing 1080p video, would probably be most of my use cases for the VMs on a pocketable device (if the phone can't do that).  I would want decent battery life (lasting all day and into the night), but would be willing to supplement the built-in battery with a battery pack.  (I have an Anker ~10Ah (I think that's the capacity) pack that I use for my current phone.)

I observed something interesting some time ago, speaking of 1080p video in the VMs.  When I set my host CPU to 800 MHz and the VM to 100% of 1 thread, 1080p video on YouTube would play just fine.  However, if I let my host CPU run at its stock 4 GHz clock, then ran the VM at even 80% or so, the video stuttered badly.

Therefore it appears to me that I would be better off with many lower-clocked cores, rather than fewer higher-clocked cores.  In terms of benchmark scores, I'm thinking 760 / 38 multi / single-thread Cinebench R15, 2,000 / 100 Cinebench R20, 11,000 / 550 Passmark or 600 / 30 Userbenchmark would be plenty for my needs for this type of device.  (Maybe I could go for half the MT scores, cause those scores are maybe 5 or 10% below what my 4790K (desktop) and 6700K (laptop) do, and there's no way I'm going for a GPD pocket clone with a ~ 90 watt CPU.  Although ... if only there was one with an undervolt-able AM4 socket.... I'd drop a 2600 or 2700 / X in there and clock it at 0.8-1 GHz.)

I would be a bit concerned that the 2c/4t m3-8100Y versions of the GPD laptops might struggle a bit due to having too few threads; also only having 8GB RAM and 128GB (or 256?) might make running 4 or 5 or more VMs a bit difficult.  I do know there's one that uses a 4c/8t Ryzen APU and that might be a step in the right direction (although I was hoping for 7nm 8c/16t), but it might be a bit over my budget (especially if combined with a phone, although by itself it might be almost manageable.

I wonder how close you could come to the specs of this (R7-2700+GT1030 in ML05B, ~$805) or this (R5-3400G in PT13B, ~$680), with a same thread count but lower-clocked CPU (probably ~1 GHz) in something the size of a GPD device around $600-900?

Is there anything I could get that will let me replace my current phone, AND have access to multiple VMs, etc, on the go, for < $1000, or should I just get the $400 phone and have to live with leaving the VMs at home (if there's no $600 UMPC that would meet my VM needs, and since I need a phone anyway)?

If you're not in a hurry wait until Google releases their new phones, then see what kind of price drops you see. Might be able to pick up something better.

Or be tempted to pick up the Pixel 4 ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

41 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If you're not in a hurry wait until Google releases their new phones, then see what kind of price drops you see. Might be able to pick up something better.

Or be tempted to pick up the Pixel 4 ;)

I'd really like to have the phone within the next 2 weeks or less.  Rumors tell me the new Pixels launch in October.  Also I expect they'd be priced similar or slightly higher vs the Pixel 3 (non-a series, before recent sales).  That would exceed my budget unless it had a desktop UI, which I seriously doubt.

40 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Lol...

Im coming from a phone with only 2GB RAM, and a battery that's down to maybe a quarter its original life-per-charge or worse. (Also it hasn't had updates in in over a year.)

4 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

-snip-

I don't know much about the whole desktop virtualization thing, but I did a somewhat comprehensive review of the Pixel 3a based on my experience, perhaps it may be helpful to you. 

I know there are some who will scoff at the Pixel because of RAM or battery power, but I can honestly say it's been stellar on my device. Maybe that'll change as time goes on, but for me I don't think I'll ever buy a third party Android device again. It's not without its flaws and compromises, but for someone like me it was perfect. I might be a minority, who knows, but I like it a lot. Good luck man.

Edit: If you choose the Pixel, get it from the Google store.

6 hours ago, Stylized_Violence said:

I don't know much about the whole desktop virtualization thing, but I did a somewhat comprehensive review of the Pixel 3a based on my experience, perhaps it may be helpful to you. 

I know there are some who will scoff at the Pixel because of RAM or battery power, but I can honestly say it's been stellar on my device. Maybe that'll change as time goes on, but for me I don't think I'll ever buy a third party Android device again. It's not without its flaws and compromises, but for someone like me it was perfect. I might be a minority, who knows, but I like it a lot. Good luck man.

Edit: If you choose the Pixel, get it from the Google store.

A few examples of what I mean by desktop virtualization are in this spoiler.

Spoiler

599ca4d53b62f_2016-04-17-multiAudacityinUbuntuStudioVirtualBox.thumb.png.1a6cb4b43944233394724852d885d2f9.png

1840211479_LTTForumPost-FloatplaneTokensetc-2019-07-08d.thumb.jpg.0863bc29839990b074724c92c8ceea95.jpg

2058285825_Screenshot(49).thumb.png.1f9beaea2ddf3116eb0f440b12305a86.png

1284782255_Screenshot(11).thumb.png.d5b48a6ceafd38bfc8b2e6bdd2dabbb5.png

1932963663_Screenshot(129).thumb.png.8d6c6dd90ade233ceca2331f5b2b2f02.png

I was going to get the Pixel from B&H because it comes with a case, but would it possibly have delayed updates compared to the Google store version?  Or maybe Google's would get to me sooner (zip 91941 / 91978 / 92019 / 92020 area - east of San Diego, CA), or is that a ? case with the B&H version?  Or maybe there's another reason to prefer Google over B&H?  (I have nothing against them as of yet* *(in this specific circumstance), just weighing my options.  I've bought a few things from B&H before and have had good experience with them.)

B&H does 3-day shipping.  If I order tonight (it's 6:45pm PST, 9:45pm EDT Tuesday now), the earliest they would likely ship it would be tomorrow (Wednesday).  Three days after that would be Saturday... but if there's no Saturday delivery (I'm thinking there would be though), or if they need an extra day for handling, it might come Monday (I doubt there's Sunday deliveries except around Christmas).

Also with B&H I won't have to pay sales tax at time of sale, although there is use tax come next April.  (Depending on my out-of-state purchases, this may work out to be much less than the sales tax rate, especially for items < $1K and depending on my income I think - I think last year or 2 I paid like < $3-5 for close to $1K of purchases or something like that.)

Even if another similarly-priced phone had more RAM, storage, wireless charging, etc, I think as of now I value a clean Android and prompt + long-term updates over more "features".

15 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

A few examples of what I mean by desktop virtualization are in this spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

599ca4d53b62f_2016-04-17-multiAudacityinUbuntuStudioVirtualBox.thumb.png.1a6cb4b43944233394724852d885d2f9.png

1840211479_LTTForumPost-FloatplaneTokensetc-2019-07-08d.thumb.jpg.0863bc29839990b074724c92c8ceea95.jpg

2058285825_Screenshot(49).thumb.png.1f9beaea2ddf3116eb0f440b12305a86.png

1284782255_Screenshot(11).thumb.png.d5b48a6ceafd38bfc8b2e6bdd2dabbb5.png

1932963663_Screenshot(129).thumb.png.8d6c6dd90ade233ceca2331f5b2b2f02.png

I was going to get the Pixel from B&H because it comes with a case, but would it possibly have delayed updates compared to the Google store version?  Or maybe Google's would get to me sooner (zip 91941 / 91978 / 92019 / 92020 area - east of San Diego, CA), or is that a ? case with the B&H version?  Or maybe there's another reason to prefer Google over B&H?  (I have nothing against them as of yet* *(in this specific circumstance), just weighing my options.  I've bought a few things from B&H before and have had good experience with them.)

B&H does 3-day shipping.  If I order tonight (it's 6:45pm PST, 9:45pm EDT Tuesday now), the earliest they would likely ship it would be tomorrow (Wednesday).  Three days after that would be Saturday... but if there's no Saturday delivery (I'm thinking there would be though), or if they need an extra day for handling, it might come Monday (I doubt there's Sunday deliveries except around Christmas).

Also with B&H I won't have to pay sales tax at time of sale, although there is use tax come next April.  (Depending on my out-of-state purchases, this may work out to be much less than the sales tax rate, especially for items < $1K and depending on my income I think - I think last year or 2 I paid like < $3-5 for close to $1K of purchases or something like that.)

Even if another similarly-priced phone had more RAM, storage, wireless charging, etc, I think as of now I value a clean Android and prompt + long-term updates over more "features".

The version from the Google store is first in line for updates compared to other places, though I wouldn't really consider that a big pro. You'll get your updates quicker than other handsets regardless. But I only recommended it straight from them to avoid any middle-man interference, mainly bloatware that may get installed or just something not being right about because it's switched hands several times. This is more of my OCD talking, you really don't need to get it from them, I just always like to buy as close to the main source as possible with whatever I get but if B&H has what you need then by all means go with them.

Your last sentence is what clinched my decision for the device because that's what I value over everything else a this point.

5 hours ago, Stylized_Violence said:

The version from the Google store is first in line for updates compared to other places, though I wouldn't really consider that a big pro. You'll get your updates quicker than other handsets regardless. But I only recommended it straight from them to avoid any middle-man interference, mainly bloatware that may get installed or just something not being right about because it's switched hands several times. This is more of my OCD talking, you really don't need to get it from them, I just always like to buy as close to the main source as possible with whatever I get but if B&H has what you need then by all means go with them.

Your last sentence is what clinched my decision for the device because that's what I value over everything else a this point.

Ahh okay.  I was doing some googling about it, stores, etc, and am thinking I'll actually buy it from the Google store.  Turns out that B&H now charges sales tax in CA due to newer laws, and their price is a few bucks higher than Google's. 

Also it would get here Monday (based on the estimated shipping info as I was going through part of the checkout process, but stopped short of completing it), whereas the Google store version (at least as of like 5 or 6 this morning PDT) said it'd get here 9-12 or 9-13.   (Hmm... now it says Sep 13-16 ... hopefully it's 13.)

(I was briefly leaning even farther from the Google store, cause I was reading horror stories about their customer service, slow shipping, etc, but maybe that was more when the original pixel first launched or something like that.)

I'm also looking at a UMPC (so I can have a desktop OS and virtualization on the go) with a total budget (including phone) of $1K or less, but it's looking like I might not get one.  (Most I've seen only have a 4-thread CPU and I'd like at least 12 or 16, even if it doesn't turbo nearly as high.  GPD Win Max has a 4c/8t Ryzen APU, but may not be available yet AND likely over budget.)

Edit: just sent the order to Google store. :)

1 hour ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Ahh okay.  I was doing some googling about it, stores, etc, and am thinking I'll actually buy it from the Google store.  Turns out that B&H now charges sales tax in CA due to newer laws, and their price is a few bucks higher than Google's. 

Also it would get here Monday (based on the estimated shipping info as I was going through part of the checkout process, but stopped short of completing it), whereas the Google store version (at least as of like 5 or 6 this morning PDT) said it'd get here 9-12 or 9-13.   (Hmm... now it says Sep 13-16 ... hopefully it's 13.)

(I was briefly leaning even farther from the Google store, cause I was reading horror stories about their customer service, slow shipping, etc, but maybe that was more when the original pixel first launched or something like that.)

I'm also looking at a UMPC (so I can have a desktop OS and virtualization on the go) with a total budget (including phone) of $1K or less, but it's looking like I might not get one.  (Most I've seen only have a 4-thread CPU and I'd like at least 12 or 16, even if it doesn't turbo nearly as high.  GPD Win Max has a 4c/8t Ryzen APU, but may not be available yet AND likely over budget.)

Edit: just sent the order to Google store. :)

Cool. My experience with their store was fine; ordering was simple, and it came exactly when it was supposed with no damage. Good luck!