M.2 NVMe has be confused

Skipple

There are so many different choices when it comes to M.2 drives it makes me want to pee my pants...

I have a 6700k and ga-z170-hd3 and looking to upgrade from my shitty hand-me-down SSD. Any suggestions for this computer?

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

2 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Just go to the part picker and sort by size and cache size

What budget?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Streetguru said:

Just go to the part picker and sort by size and cache size

What budget?

Looking for highest speed > capacity, but I know the two kinda go hand in hand when it comes to this form factor. 

Looking for sub $100, but willing to stretch if it is worth it. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

5 minutes ago, Skipple said:

There are so many different choices when it comes to M.2 drives it makes me want to pee my pants...

I have a 6700k and ga-z170-hd3 and looking to upgrade from my shitty hand-me-down SSD. Any suggestions for this computer?

Here's the specs for your Motherboard:

1 x M.2 Socket 3 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 SATA & PCIe x4/x2/x1 SSD support)

The type number is really the important bit - just make sure your SSD is one of those types.

Ideally you'd want to deep dive into the various reviews to check performance, etc, but a good idea is to use NewEgg to sort through the M.2 SSD's and see what's the largest vs fastest you can afford under $100.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Looking for highest speed > capacity, but I know the two kinda go hand in hand when it comes to this form factor. 

Looking for sub $100, but willing to stretch if it is worth it. 

This one has 3K read/writes for a low ish price

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/GHdxFT/patriot-vpn100-512-gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-vpn100-512gm28h

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Here are a couple of examples:

Intel 660p 1TB

https://www.newegg.com/intel-660p-series-1tb/p/N82E16820167462

Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

https://www.newegg.com/samsung-970-evo-500gb/p/N82E16820147690?Item=N82E16820147690

Both under $100 - both would be perfectly fine - though you'll want to check reviews on either.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Intel 660p 1TB

Too much performance drop when you put a real load on it though

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Too much performance drop when you put a real load on it though

I'd say that depends on what the OP wants out of it - the performance is still going to wreck a HDD, and if he values the additional 500GB of storage, that might be more worth it to him.

Of course, that's also why I listed the 970 EVO as well.

Sabrent Rocket is 1TB for 109$ and surprisingly great

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

I generally send people to this post on Reddit.

That spreadsheet is really useful to find drives that are similar to each other, most drives are pretty much the same. They're kind of like buying ram, there's only a few companies making the nand and controllers. As far as any recommendations anything with an E12 will be bang for your buck and to avoid QLC unless you need 2TB+ for light use.

I scooped a XPG SX8200 Pro for $118 off a Lightning Deal, Ratuken often has them on sale for that.