Air Cooling for an NIC

Sahil G
Go to solution Solved by Origami Cactus,
4 minutes ago, Sahil G said:

So yesterday when i was inspecting the network card, i found the aluminium heat sink, to be quite hot, essentially, i couldn't touch it continuously for 10 secs.

Why do people still try to judge the temps like that?

Your body just isn't meant for it. Laser thermometers are like 20$ on amazon.

Most electronics work fine up to 100c, if you touched something that was 100c you would receive burns on your hands immediately, and you would think that it was overheating, while it was actually fine, but now you need to go to the hospital.

Judging by the fact that you were able to hold it for 10 secs, it was probably 50-60C, which is totally fine, i don't see a reason for it to need extra cooling.

Hi, Just to give you a backdrop. I recently setup my own router using pfsense on an old config, low SPEC'd CPU lying around with the following NIC 

intel_e1g44ht_ethernet_server_adapter_i340_t4_1447172454000_1194757.jpg?v=1493036297

Since, it is deployed in a small business environment, there are atleast 15 machines connected to the internet via the network during business hours.

So yesterday when i was inspecting the network card, i found the aluminium heat sink, to be quite hot, essentially, i couldn't touch it continuously for 10 secs.

One solution could be to install a fan in the CPU case, since there's none at the moment, as it is a really low SPEC'd build, it didn't need one. But on the contrary, I thought it would be cool, if i could install a heat sink with air cooler directly on the card itself.

It would be really helpful, if anyone can point me to any guides or solutions or parts.

Thanks in advance.

4 minutes ago, Sahil G said:

Most electronics work fine up to 100c, if you touched something that was 100c you would receive burns on your hands immediately, and you would think that it was overheating, while it was actually fine, but now you need to go to the hospital.

Judging by the fact that you were able to hold it for 10 secs, it was probably 50-60C, which is totally fine, i don't see a reason for it to need extra cooling.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

2 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Thanks, does make sense.