Rogers Router is a clapped-out contraption

Dudedawg.net

Hi folks, I would like to ask if anyone could recommend a better router than the default router you get with their service. the router has to have the coax thingie to connect,  I think

IMG_20190813_203640.thumb.jpg.38c43689b9446c90be9347e6c7ad1d9e.jpg

IMG_20190813_203653.jpg

well that has a Home phone and Coax port. thats not a standard modem/router. you would need to explain what those are going to and find out if they have to stay in that box. if they do, you can simply use that box, and for internet get a good 50$ router off amazon, and use that for internet.

If my Response helped you, Please click the Check under my reply, to mark it as The Solution!

14 minutes ago, Dudedawg.net said:

Hi folks, I would like to ask if anyone could recommend a better router than the default router you get with their service. the router has to have the coax thingie to connect,  I think

IMG_20190813_203640.thumb.jpg.38c43689b9446c90be9347e6c7ad1d9e.jpg

IMG_20190813_203653.jpg

That’s a gateway with eMTA. It’s going to be harder to replace. Your best bet is to put that in to bridge mode and buy a router. 

ASUS and Netgear are the two names that get thrown around here. I have the Sysnology RT2600AC and it works well. Ubiquity edge routers + AP is another choice many make. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1) that's not a router

2) "better" in what way? replacing the modem will not increase your internet speeds

3) if you need more ethernet ports or better wifi you can buy a router and plug it into ethernet port 1 or 2

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The router (from rogers) goes straight into my gigabit firwall and then into my 24port-gigabit switch. from there it is distributed throughout  

[rogers router]----------[firwall]----------[switch]==========home

my issue is that rogers can see your devices (before my firewall) and have control of your internet router, 

they can see the IP's and mac address .. privacy issues I think

they can't see past my firewall though (lol)

1 hour ago, Dudedawg.net said:

y issue is that rogers can see your devices (before my firewall) and have control of your internet router, 

Yeah it’s like that for many cable cos. Comcast is the same way. If you don’t want them to have that level of control then use a standard cable modem. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

my firewall does the trick, my gigabit connection is not so gigabit speed, a snail just past my internet lol